Who is your pick for this year's 'pleasent surprise' of the offseason and preseason?

GreggTX

On 5/25/2023 at 9:07 AM, Gregg said:

I won't go with a particular player, but I will say the OL as a group will be much better. That will lead to a better run game from our RB's. My pick is the OL.

Well they can’t be worse than the G’s last year, and I have compassion for Brown who fought through the neck and back issues and no off season all the way back to his last year in college.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Well they can’t be worse than the G’s last year, and I have compassion for Brown who fought through the neck and back issues and no off season all the way back to his last year in college.

Ya know Guns we are a particular, and probably NFL standard, sort around here.  

Justifiably if there is issue with Allen's health (shoulder, elbow) as a fan base we come to his defense.  As we should and given his level of play when he is healthy.

You and others have previously referenced Brown's injuries, lack of a true recovery, and continued concussive ( to the body) nature of the position he plays.

...and generally from a lot of us he almost gets an "F' you, be better or be gone."

I like the moves Beane has made on the Oline.  However, I am hoping that Brown can at least get back to what he was his rookie year, when healthy.

If he doesn't that is too bad, because he did so much imposing of his will that first year.  However I am very much pulling for him, because he is one of our guys, because he's done it before, and because of the disadvantages he has experienced caused by his injuries, especially at that position.

Maybe we could cut him a break and see.

Go Bills.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Alex Austin is a good choice. I think he profiles as a great depth corner who you can start in a pinch or put on the field in nickel situations and not be concerned. Lots of defensive backs actually could fit this question for me, even some of the veteran guys. 

But I'll go with Nyheim Hines. I think we're going to hear all about him being a huge weapon out of the backfield and even in the slot. I don't know that it'll actually happen but he seems like the type of guy who plays everywhere in camp and looks like he's poised for a bigger sesaon than expected.

2 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Justifiably if there is issue with Allen's health (shoulder, elbow) as a fan base we come to his defense.  As we should and given his level of play when he is healthy.

You and others have previously referenced Brown's injuries, lack of a true recovery, and continued concussive ( to the body) nature of the position he plays.

...and generally from a lot of us he almost gets an "F' you, be better or be gone."

I like the moves Beane has made on the Oline.  However, I am hoping that Brown can at least get back to what he was his rookie year, when healthy.

If he doesn't that is too bad, because he did so much imposing of his will that first year.  However I am very much pulling for him, because he is one of our guys, because he's done it before, and because of the disadvantages he has experienced caused by his injuries, especially at that position.

Go Bills.

As always Donuts, you’re more eloquent than I.  I agree.  I’m not indicating Brown gets a permanent pas nor am I inferring you stated that point.

He has a full of season, OTA’s, mini-camp, training camp, and preseason games.  I expect he gets back to the bruiser adding from his raw power his rookie year to a more complete RT this year.

If not, we tried and moving on.  I felt the same on Knox and he delivered in year 3.  His year 5 needs to be more like year 3 than 4.  I don’t know why he want targeted, but I suspect the sudden loss of his brother probably was a deeper problem than we know.  I’ve heard as we all have heard maybe the brother took his kid or he OD’d.  IDK and it’s non of my business.  Im just hopeful Dawson is more at peace at whatever took his brothers life and he is 100% Bills and Football this year.

I appreciate as always you’re comments.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Justifiably if there is issue with Allen's health (shoulder, elbow) as a fan base we come to his defense. As we should and given his level of play when he is healthy.

I like the moves Beane has made on the Oline. However, I am hoping that Brown can at least get back to what he was his rookie year, when healthy.

If he doesn't that is too bad, because he did so much imposing of his will that first year. However I am very much pulling for him, because he is one of our guys, because he's done it before, and because of the disadvantages he has experienced caused by his injuries, especially at that position.

Go Bills.

------------
Why do you want Brown to play like he did in his rookie year? He was terrible. He's never played well. I do think his athleticism gives him a chance to be OK, but it hasn't happened yet. Maybe this is his year.

7 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

As always Donuts, you’re more eloquent than I. I agree. I’m not indicating Brown gets a permanent pas nor am I inferring you stated that point.

He has a full of season, OTA’s, mini-camp, training camp, and preseason games. I expect he gets back to the bruiser adding from his raw power his rookie year to a more complete RT this year.

If not, we tried and moving on. I felt the same on Knox and he delivered in year 3. His year 5 needs to be more like year 3 than 4. I don’t know why he want targeted, but I suspect the sudden loss of his brother probably was a deeper problem than we know. I’ve heard as we all have heard maybe the brother took his kid or he OD’d. IDK and it’s non of my business. Im just hopeful Dawson is more at peace at whatever took his brothers life and he is 100% Bills and Football this year.

I appreciate as always you’re comments.

-------
Dawson had a back injury last year. I believe it happened in camp. I bet that was his biggest problem.

A rare excellent thread with insightful takes. Well done, Waller’s!

I’ll go another route and focus on year 2 with Aaron Kromer as OL coach. He’s been handed a much improved stable of new, established vets, vets returning from serious injury and Draft picks and UDFA’s to try to blend in with Morse & Dawkins. He’s now intimately familiar with team chemistry, Offensive coaching staff and how our enigma QB operates. Who he chooses and where to play them and when will be the catalyst of our Offense this season. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/25/2023 at 11:31 AM, hondo in seattle said:

I hope you're right about both Edwards and Boogie having better-than-expected years.  

But let me play Scrooge...  PFF typically ranks Edwards in the 60s - a solid backup.  

(Yeah, I know, it's only PFF).  

Yeah, I am not sure what to make of Edwards, but it appeared that he was headed for a nice payday, maybe a little more than Connor McGovern got, and then he ran into all those injury issues, so it is a perfect buy low. But a very strange market for guards...Dalton Risner is still a free agent. 

At the end of the day, Torrence should start at RG...but if he isn't quite ready I do think there is a good chance Edwards starts there. A good problem to have, but still a risk. 

18 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yeah, I am not sure what to make of Edwards, but it appeared that he was headed for a nice payday, maybe a little more than Connor McGovern got, and then he ran into all those injury issues, so it is a perfect buy low. But a very strange market for guards...Dalton Risner is still a free agent. 

At the end of the day, Torrence should start at RG...but if he isn't quite ready I do think there is a good chance Edwards starts there. A good problem to have, but still a risk. 

Yea it's strange. I'm not the biggest Risner guy, never have been, and wouldn't have taken him ahead of either of the guys we signed but he is a serviceable starting guard who has missed 4 games in 4 seasons. Why he remains unsigned is a mystery unless it is purely he is not willing to sell himself low. I'm guessing between mini-camps and camp he does a 1 year deal somewhere and tries again at free agency next year. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea it's strange. I'm not the biggest Risner guy, never have been, and wouldn't have taken him ahead of either of the guys we signed but he is a serviceable starting guard who has missed 4 games in 4 seasons. Why he remains unsigned is a mystery unless it is purely he is not willing to sell himself low. I'm guessing between mini-camps and camp he does a 1 year deal somewhere and tries again at free agency next year. 

100% agree there. Don't love his game, but he has experience and teams could do a lot worse. He must have priced himself out. 

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

100% agree there. Don't love his game, but he has experience and teams could do a lot worse. He must have priced himself out. 

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Is Edwards a possibility for LG if O'Cyrus starts at RG?

Or is McGovern a lock?

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Or is McGovern a lock?

The money they have paid McGovern suggests he is a lock. But if Edwards is the best guard in camp I think it is possible he starts. But that would not the Bills' preference I don't think.

On 5/25/2023 at 7:28 AM, hondo in seattle said:

I'm going with Trent Sherfield who's been kind of an under-the-radar signing. 

After seeing him play in Miami, reading Tyler Dunne's piece on his backstory, and listening to Josh talk him up, I think this kid is ready to contribute.  

Mine as well

He doesn’t get a lot of fanfare, but he has everything you need in order to be successful, and on top of that he is known for his blocking as a wide receiver

32 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The money they have paid McGovern suggests he is a lock. But if Edwards is the best guard in camp I think it is possible he starts. But that would not the Bills' preference I don't think.

At this point, my real question is does trading bates enter the minds of the Buffalo Bills

My first inclination is no because he plays all the back up positions, but then you have a guy like Edwards, who could end up being a super sub guard

Edited by John from Riverside
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

At this point, my real question is does trading bates enter the minds of the Buffalo Bills

My first inclination is no because he plays all the back up positions, but then you have a guy like Edwards, who could end up being a super sub guard

I doubt it. He is the backup center. Though if he ends up on the outside of the lineup looking in and someone offers you a 4th or something then sure. 

14 minutes ago, eball said:

I'm going with James Cook.

Just a gut feeling.

Totally makes sense.  We MIGHT actually have a decent O Line this year, especially the interior.  In that NFL simulator I ran it twice and each time cook got close/over 1,500 yards rushing.  That happens, we are going to have a borderline unstoppable offense.

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Totally makes sense.  We MIGHT actually have a decent O Line this year, especially the interior.  In that NFL simulator I ran it twice and each time cook got close/over 1,500 yards rushing.  That happens, we are going to have a borderline unstoppable offense.

I see numerous indicators...improved OL, Dorsey's 2nd year of play calling, and Cook having a full year of NFL experience/weight training under his belt.  We may have found our modern day dual-threat RB.

And if for some reason he doesn't take that jump, Beane stocked the cupboard with a couple of nice vet pieces.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Or is McGovern a lock?

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree with Gunner here. I think, barring injuries, McGovern is going to start at LG pretty much no matter what. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.