Who is your pick for this year's 'pleasent surprise' of the offseason and preseason?

GreggTX

On 5/25/2023 at 9:05 AM, GreggTX said:

Each year it seems that a player or 2 that few, if any, had on their radar outperforms all expectations. Who will be 2023's big surprise(s)?

I also think the future is bright for Dorian Williams, but not so soon. He has some outstanding traits, but needs coaching and experience to put it all together. I love his speed in particular. In the mean time, I expect his ST contributions to be noteworthy.
Justin Shorter is another intriguing prospect after his college career was marred by a rash of injuries. If healthy, he might finally live up to expectations. I know from watching draft room video that Beane really liked him a lot. We'll see if that admiration was warranted.
I'd end by saying that the success of our top 2 picks will not surprise me at all. I think the sky is the limit for Kincaid and Torrence.

I'm not making a pick.  I have no idea about these guys.  

But like you, I think Kincaid and Torrence will contribute more or less right away, and Williams and Shorter are the two guys who I hope will be pleasant surprises.  I see that Williams already is getting reps at middle linebacker, and frankly I think it's probably easier to pick up the mlb duties than we think.  McDermott was perfectly happy to play Edmunds as a rookie, and he had less experience at the position than Williams.   Plus, the Bills obviously were willing to live with Edmunds's mistakes in his rookie and second seasons, when he often failed to attack his run gaps properly.  Williams should be a better blitzer from the get-go, something Edmunds never did well, and maybe a more natural run-stopper.  The nuances of the passing game are what could be a problem.  Anyway, I'm hoping, because I like his speed and tenacity. 

And I'm hoping Shorter will show the talent that made him such a highly recruited guy and begin to make his presence felt.  If he can make the team as a special teams player, he'll get occasional playing time as receiver, and it would be be such a plus if he could add an explosive play here or there when he gets those opportunities.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, cwater10 said:

Tre White-  Will be Tre White again.  

This would be amazing. Sal said that he looked like old Tre at OTA’s. 

He and Bove were also marveling at Shane Rays size and strength.  Really pulling for him to get his mojo back. 

Dorsey/Allen - let me be the first to say I think this season you may see Dorsey + Allen step up in a schematic/strategy way. 

Allen - by using the underneath swing pass as a staple.  Getting the RBs with the outlet pass regularly, so much so that the pass rush freezes for just a bit longer.   Also would love to see the no-huddle used.  Allen has command during drives where he catches the D in personnel mismatches and doesn't allow them to substitute - a feature that the addition of Kincaid will facilitate.

Dorsey - while the above looks like all Allen, it actually needs to be employed and encouraged by Dorsey.  Also think that there might be a better run game, better balance.

• Like (+1) 3

Defense: Elam and Groot.  I'm convinced something happened behind the scenes with Elam LY, causing him to be in the doghouse.  But he's going to become a star CB this season.  Groot goes off for 12 sacks, with improved playcalling and secondary play.

Offense: Cook and Davis.  Both go over 1k yards, led by improved OL play and Dorsey having all his doubters now fret him leaving for a HC role.

On 5/25/2023 at 9:05 AM, GreggTX said:

Each year it seems that a player or 2 that few, if any, had on their radar outperforms all expectations. Who will be 2023's big surprise(s)?

I'm going with Alex Austin. He slid primarily due to a slow 40 time, but if moved inside he could be pretty good. It may take some time for him to adjust though.
I also think the future is bright for Dorian Williams, but not so soon. He has some outstanding traits, but needs coaching and experience to put it all together. I love his speed in particular. In the mean time, I expect his ST contributions to be noteworthy.
Justin Shorter is another intriguing prospect after his college career was marred by a rash of injuries. If healthy, he might finally live up to expectations. I know from watching draft room video that Beane really liked him a lot. We'll see if that admiration was warranted.
I'd end by saying that the success of our top 2 picks will not surprise me at all. I think the sky is the limit for Kincaid and Torrence.

Deonty Harty

16 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

Defense: Elam and Groot.  I'm convinced something happened behind the scenes with Elam LY, causing him to be in the doghouse.  But he's going to become a star CB this season.  Groot goes off for 12 sacks, with improved playcalling and secondary play.

Offense: Cook and Davis.  Both go over 1k yards, led by improved OL play and Dorsey having all his doubters now fret him leaving for a HC role.

I agree with you I think Elam is going to be legit I also think if Groot adds alittle more muscle he will be nasty especially with the tutelage of Von Miller. I believe OP asked who would surprise us as a new addition though unless I misread 

I'm going to go with ,Kyle Allen since he will be the qb for most the preseason he reminds everyone he is a competent qb and legit backup. Ends up the backup and doesn't play a snap in the regular season and then leaves via free agency next year signing a big enough contract to get us a comp pick next year .

On 5/25/2023 at 11:31 PM, hondo in seattle said:

I hope you're right about both Edwards and Boogie having better-than-expected years.  

But let me play Scrooge... PFF typically ranks Edwards in the 60s - a solid backup.  

(Yeah, I know, it's only PFF).  

They rated our entire OL in the 60's last year except for Dawkins. That's why I've been clamouring for OL help and loved that Torrence was still available at pick #59. If Edwards returns to form and Brown gets his head out of his you know where, it will make our offense better than ever. I should also add that they rated Saffold in the 40's which is cheerleader territory.

20 hours ago, TBBills Fan said:

Knox.  

Why would that be a surprise?

On 5/25/2023 at 12:41 AM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Russ Wilson.
Things couldn't get worse.
Could they? 🤔
🎶Everything's coming up roses...🎵🌹🌹🌹🌹

The Broncos invested very heavily in their OL, so I think you're right.

On 5/25/2023 at 1:22 PM, ngbills said:

Poona Ford will be our best IDL. 

Hyde and Poyer will both miss time and Taylor Rapp will be a solid fill in

Damien Harris will be used like Williams in DET. Minimal carries but 10+ TD's.

You chose my picks too.

Really like Ford up front making a lot of plays.

Also like Harris. He's the most physical runner they have had since Lynch. I dont think he will get more than 700 yards as the carries will be split quite a bit. He will get a number of short yardage TDs and will pick up some critical 3rd and shorts for us. 

It's exciting to think about how many players we have where we're currently wondering "is there untapped upside?"

Here's my quick ranking of guys who have shown us hints that they can potentially improve significantly within the offense/defense:

Greg Rousseau

James Cook

Spencer Brown

Poona Ford

Kaiir Elam

Christian Benford

AJ Epenesa

Boogie Basham

Deonte Harty

Khalil Shakir

Tommy Doyle

David Edwards

Damar Hamlin

Nyheim Hines

Taylor Rapp

Terrel Bernard

I might even throw Gabe Davis in the mix and that doesn't include the rookies.

The most impactful would easily be the 3 guys in bold.

They have the raw talent and prominent roles. We need them to step up... the other guys are a bonus.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.