Who is your pick for this year's 'pleasent surprise' of the offseason and preseason?

GreggTX

I am going with Dorian Williams, honestly. I think he will shine when the pads come on and light up the preseason. He will be the guy coming into the season that the fans yell SHOULD be starting...while Dodson starts at MLB opening game.  Dodson will be on the seat for message board whipping boy by week 4 no matter how he looks because people will want Williams and his downhill play style.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Justin Shorter will be the talk of the camp...until the pads go on.

Trent Sherfield will be a star of training camp and the preseason and will give Shakir a run for his money as the presumed starting slot receiver.

Edited by Logic

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I would love for Austin to be able to take Neals spot on ST.  Neal brings nothing to the table on D imo.  

Austin being an elite gunner, which is what Neal is, as a rookie is very unlikely. Neal is a lock for the roster IMO, especially given that the other two gunners - Taiwan and Kumerow - have gone. I think it will be interesting to see what the new fair catch rule does to kick off returns. If you are down to only punt returns it does change the dynamic a little on gunner value, but I don't think the Bills will cut one of the best gunners in the league until there is evidence that returns are all but out of the game. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Austin being an elite gunner, which is what Neal is, as a rookie is very unlikely. Neal is a lock for the roster IMO, especially given that the other two gunners - Taiwan and Kumerow - have gone. I think it will be interesting to see what the new fair catch rule does to kick off returns. If you are down to only punt returns it does change the dynamic a little on gunner value, but I don't think the Bills will cut one of the best gunners in the league until there is evidence that returns are all but out of the game. 

I’m not saying he has to be an elite gunner.  Just competent. But I have no clue regarding his ST play, I was just throwing it out there.  

the new rules, imo, are the only reason I think Neal might be cut. I don’t think he will be…. McD definitely loves his ST only players…. But I’d rather keep austin, a guy that i think could be a CB in this league over a guy that can only play.  The new rules reinforce my thinking on that.  

I realize that someone would have to step up and be a competent gunner in order to cut him, I just think KO unit players took a big hit on the rule change.  I’d be all for keeping him if he could play some corner or safety.  The fact that he couldn’t play over Cam Lewis speaks volumes to me

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I am going with Dorian Williams, honestly. I think he will shine when the pads come on and light up the preseason. He will be the guy coming into the season that the fans yell SHOULD be starting...while Dodson starts at MLB opening game.  Dodson will be on the seat for message board whipping boy by week 4 no matter how he looks because people will want Williams and his downhill play style.

Totally agree.  Williams can be a game changer with his speed and anticipation.  Tired of reading all the nagtivity about he was a reach, small school (I went to Tulane graduate school), too small, blah blah blah. 

The one game he will get crucified will be against NE, Belichek manages to make certain defensive positions as untenable, and that is what Belichek did against Tremaine Edmunds at MLB in one game, Edmunds was schemed into irrelevance.

And by week 4 if Dodson isnt the whipping boy, it will be Dorsey for season #2.

3 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I'm going with Trent Sherfield who's been kind of an under-the-radar signing. 

After seeing him play in Miami, reading Tyler Dunne's piece on his backstory, and listening to Josh talk him up, I think this kid is ready to contribute.  

good call.  Also, Hill was pretty upset when he left the dolphins.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’m not saying he has to be an elite gunner.  Just competent. But I have no clue regarding his ST play, I was just throwing it out there.  

the new rules, imo, are the only reason I think Neal might be cut. I don’t think he will be…. McD definitely loves his ST only players…. But I’d rather keep austin, a guy that i think could be a CB in this league over a guy that can only play.  The new rules reinforce my thinking on that.  

I realize that someone would have to step up and be a competent gunner in order to cut him, I just think KO unit players took a big hit on the rule change.  I’d be all for keeping him if he could play some corner or safety.  The fact that he couldn’t play over Cam Lewis speaks volumes to me

I am not cutting an elite gunner for a 6th corner. I struggle to see any situation where I'd do that. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I am not cutting an elite gunner for a 6th corner. I struggle to see any situation where I'd do that. 

If he shows upside, I would.  4 year rookie contract.  Do you have any thoughts on Austin?  I think the depth of this CB draft class pushed him down and we got a steal. I really like his potential as a zone corner. Not so much man.

I think the rule changes could have a big impact on KOs and the overall worth of KO coverages.  Which would make Neals main worth revolve around punts….. and we punt less than anyone.  

25 minutes ago, NewEra said:

If he shows upside, I would.  4 year rookie contract.  Do you have any thoughts on Austin?  I think the depth of this CB draft class pushed him down and we got a steal. I really like his potential as a zone corner. Not so much man.

I think the rule changes could have a big impact on KOs and the overall worth of KO coverages.  Which would make Neals main worth revolve around punts….. and we punt less than anyone.  

So on Austin - not a guy I watched a lot of. I preferred the other Oregan State corner - Rezjohn Wright, but I see why Austin fits their mold as a zone corner with length, who plays off, will keep it infront of him, rally and tackle. It is the classic McBeane late round corner profile. 

On the rule change it definitely bears watching, and maybe in years to come I will feel differently but for a team in a championship window right now an elite gunner is way more impactful than a 6th corner. 

4 hours ago, Herb Nightly said:

I don't see Benford moving to safety, at least not THIS year  Bills have Safety depth and  Benford showed well at CB. Why move him?

I think you could see Benford being flexed there this year, he makes a lot of sense there in the future and both Po and Hyde  (and Rapp) could be gone next year.   Give him a year to learn the ropes and he gets a shot to start next year.  Thats all dependent on how the CB room looks, but he’s way too good to let go of and Saftey is not strong after the first 3 in line.

I am super hopeful somebody steps up at LB and to that end, I’m going with Baylon Spector.   I half expect him to win the MLB role, or be the primary back-up.  A lot will depend on the work he’s done on his body in the off-season, he needed to add weight, especially growing those legs.  If he can report in the 240-245 range and have not lost a step, he has everything you need to play at LB in the NFL today.  It’s a lot of hoping, but let’s see what he brings.

• Like (+1) 2

Ed Oliver. The player that everyone wants traded away will be as determined as ever in a contract year. I expect him to finally show more consistent flashes of what made him a top 10 pick. Wouldn't surprise me if he is our best DL until Von Miller is fully recovered.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.