Who is your pick for this year's 'pleasent surprise' of the offseason and preseason?

GreggTX

Each year it seems that a player or 2 that few, if any, had on their radar outperforms all expectations. Who will be 2023's big surprise(s)?

I'm going with Alex Austin. He slid primarily due to a slow 40 time, but if moved inside he could be pretty good. It may take some time for him to adjust though.
I also think the future is bright for Dorian Williams, but not so soon. He has some outstanding traits, but needs coaching and experience to put it all together. I love his speed in particular. In the mean time, I expect his ST contributions to be noteworthy.
Justin Shorter is another intriguing prospect after his college career was marred by a rash of injuries. If healthy, he might finally live up to expectations. I know from watching draft room video that Beane really liked him a lot. We'll see if that admiration was warranted.
I'd end by saying that the success of our top 2 picks will not surprise me at all. I think the sky is the limit for Kincaid and Torrence.

Edited by GreggTX
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

David Edwards is my sleeper. I think he starts. I don't know what happens everywhere else, but they talk him up every chance they get and he was a high level player before his injury last year. He is also still very young. 

I also think Boogie Bahsham has a mini breakout. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

David Edwards is my sleeper. I think he starts. I don't know what happens everywhere else, but they talk him up every chance they get and he was a high level player before his injury last year. He is also still very young. 

-------------------------
I sure hope so. Edwards wasn't great before injuries took their toll, but he was still pretty good and his best years may lie ahead. Basham has shown flashes and could win a starting job before Von returns. I like these picks.

Edited by GreggTX

14 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Can he play RT?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I agree with Austin.  I think he has a real shot to make the team.  He could push Benford to safety and possibly Damar off the team.  Cam Lewis 👋🏻 byyeeeee

Yea I also agree. Austin could be a legit option at back up Nickel Corner, Safety or CB. I like how he plays and has great size. Just hope he is also a special teams ace. Should be fun to watch him in camp. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, wppete said:

Yea I also agree. Austin could be a legit option at back up Nickel Corner, Safety or CB. I like how he plays and has great size. Just hope he is also a special teams ace. Should be fun to watch him in camp. 

Yeah that would be the clincher.  We all know that McB will still put an emphasis on ST, but I’m hoping that ST doesn’t matter as much as it did before the rule change.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think Torrance starts ( soon,if not immediately.)

I see Edwards and Bates as 'Super Subs" . Edwards apparently was a good right tackle in college. 

Edited by Herb Nightly
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I hope you're right about both Edwards and Boogie having better-than-expected years.  

But let me play Scrooge...  PFF typically ranks Edwards in the 60s - a solid backup.  

(Yeah, I know, it's only PFF).  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

I won't go with a particular player, but I will say the OL as a group will be much better. That will lead to a better run game from our RB's. My pick is the OL.

I gotta agree here,  the O-line is the fulcrum that the offense uses to leverage its weapons. Imo, the O-lines performance is crucial to the whole teams season long success.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I agree with Austin.  I think he has a real shot to make the team.  He could push Benford to safety and possibly Damar off the team.  Cam Lewis 👋🏻 byyeeeee

I don't see Benford moving to safety, at least not THIS year  Bills have Safety depth and  Benford showed well at CB. Why move him?

1 minute ago, Herb Nightly said:

I don't see Benford moving to safety, at least not THIS year  Bills have Safety depth and  Benford showed well at CB. Why move him?

I just said why we’d move him.  Austin, if he performs well.  

there aren’t enough cb roster spots.  

Tre

Elam

Taron

Dane

Benford/Austin

Neal makes it for ST (sadly)

I don’t think our S depth is great ans of now with Damars uncertainty. Our top 3 are great, but who are the guys after them?   One died on the field. Another is the worst player on the roster.  Another is a ST guy named Zayne.  

Our top 3 safeties are all free agents at the end of the year. If Damar returns to form, I agree, we’re set.  Just not sure that’s going to happen. Benford has 3 years left under contract making the minimum.  If he could step in next 2 seasons as a starter and play well, that’s a win win win.  I don’t think he’ll be more than CB4 on this team the next 2 years.  

I would love for Austin to be able to take Neals spot on ST.  Neal brings nothing to the table on D imo.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.