Washington Commanders may have to change their name again

Draconator

6 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

does it? Is that what they were thinking about when the team was named in the 1930’s?

your avatar picture is offensive to me. Do you think you should have to change it?

There are differing accounts for the origin. Historians and linguists do not appear to agree. Since ideology enters into academic pursuits, it is difficult to discover a supposedly neutral account (which is something of an Enlightenment myth regardless.) It just does not make convincing sense that any group would name themselves after a term that would be universally held to be grotesque or negative. No one names their team the stooges, the liars, or the imbeciles. I suppose one could surmise that a bloody practice might denote fierceness and this would be flattering to a football team.

Richard Noggin is a rather clever articulation of a pejorative term, so I personally don't mind the satire of his avatar picture. I believe Christ is the ultimate truth of the universe. That is either true or false. No degree of ideological conflict or differing epistemological approaches or radically incongruous metaphysical presuppositions will alter fundamental reality. It is only in the modern/postmodern ethos that folks think, largely following the logic of scientism that itself presupposes the truth of a particular epistemological and metaphysical account, that reality is malleable and open to creative "will-to-power." As I find that particular combination of rationalist nihilism incoherent and culturally ignorant, I am mostly dismissive of its claims, but it does a lot of damage to souls and corrodes what remains of the limited organic cohesion Western society has left. Of course, advocates celebrate the destruction of civilization as liberation and Enlightenment. Our technological sophistication allows, temporarily, at least, for the convergence of barbarism and advanced technology. My view is that you can only spurn nature so long before it ultimately catches up to you. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, chongli said:

Back in June, the school district announced they would drop the Barons name to show solidarity with the Black Lives Matter Movement.

School officials told Spectrum News the Barons name is a symbol of elitism and privilege that can be traced back to slavery."

Yes, very dubious reasoning. Similar reasoning could apply to Kings, Royals, and etc.

7 hours ago, chongli said:

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/rochester/education/2020/12/24/brighton-csd-replaces-barons-name

"Back in June, the school district announced they would drop the Barons name to show solidarity with the Black Lives Matter Movement.

School officials told Spectrum News the Barons name is a symbol of elitism and privilege that can be traced back to slavery."

Huh… I’ve always personally associated the title “Baron” more with the French/German iterations used more recently than their original British origins. Never really crossed my mind.

• Like (+1) 1

I like the logo but never was a fan of the new name and if you name them after the city they represent well i won't go there but i hope they get a better name than commanders ...

Washington football team was good for me . Maybe they could call it Washington Team Football then their logo could be 

WTF !!  😜 😂

Edited by T master
  • Agree 1

If I was the new owner I’d initiate a full on rebrand ASAP. Brand is everything in business and the Washington whatever they call themselves at the moment have a tarnished one thanks to Snyder. But I don’t know what sorts of hoops football teams need to jump through to make that sort of change. 

I think the name shift away from redskins was overdue but the process of changing the name was a clusterF. So I don’t think anyone is overly attached to Commanders at this point anyway.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

My favorite was when the newly-minted Antonin Scalia School of Law (ASSOL) finally said that acronym out loud.

In case you think this is something made up here is link:

https://www.cnn.com/2016/04/05/politics/george-mason-university-antonin-scalia-law-school-name-change/index.html#:~:text=The school first announced it,fan of the conservative justice.

George Mason has made those kind of foobars before and despite being a institution for higher learning has not learned lesson.

7 minutes ago, Lane Meyer K12 said:

The Redskins should change their name back to The Redskins. Either way, that is what they will be called by this guy. 

No way is new buyer going to deal with the old baggage and likely will get exception from NFL for an expedited name change but if they wanted to go that route they should stop hinting at meaning and call it Scalphunters.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Rather insulting to insinuate that Native Americans didn't really care about the name.  I live in the DC metropolitan area and remember Natives protesting when Jack Kent Cooke still owned the team.  

https://apnews.com/article/sports-general-nfl-race-and-ethnicity-dc-wire-mlb-a6ddd9b0244e6d480eb796edcaa0d387

What’s insulting is that you think one article is the end all be all. A quick google search will show multiple articles saying just the opposite of your post. 

On 5/24/2023 at 2:39 PM, Buffalo716 said:

I like Washington football team 

it gets to the point and is poignant

No, that’s the dumb soccer type names.

Related note:  here in Sacramento we got an USL team a few years ago.  The team name at the beginning was Republic FC with no city or state designation.  After a while they finally added Sacramento to the name.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, AlfaBill said:

What’s insulting is that you think one article is the end all be all. A quick google search will show multiple articles saying just the opposite of your post. 

The point you're not getting is that it is offensive and the name was changed because of it.  

How many Natives would it take to satisfy you?  All of them?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.