Washington Commanders may have to change their name again

Draconator

35 minutes ago, boater said:

I never thought I'd type these words.... I feel for Snyder.

Some anti-social prick trademark squatter tied up all the good team names. A real slimy fellow.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/washington-redskins-name-change-trademark-squatter-says-only-four-name-options-are-viable-for-2020-season/

Not a good way to describe him.  He is (or was) a fan and felt Washington was moving slowly and acquired them to prevent others from doing so.

I have seen the letter at work he sent but it appears that $nyder does not want him involved and would rather have his attorneys and PR bastard.

Maybe new owners will be more willing to work with him.

22 hours ago, KingBoots8 said:

My high school alma mater is one of the NYS schools that needs to change their mascot to keep state funding this fall. If the national outrage is anything like the local outrage they need to just pick a name immediately and move forward. 

I’ve never seen a bunch of boomers who haven’t lived in the area for 30+ years get so bent out of shape about a school changing from “Indians” to something else. We get it, your glory days have long since faded. It’s gonna be ok.

TBH they can’t do much worse than the commies 

Are you in Cambridge or Glens Falls, by chance?

23 hours ago, KingBoots8 said:

My high school alma mater is one of the NYS schools that needs to change their mascot to keep state funding this fall. If the national outrage is anything like the local outrage they need to just pick a name immediately and move forward. 

I’ve never seen a bunch of boomers who haven’t lived in the area for 30+ years get so bent out of shape about a school changing from “Indians” to something else. We get it, your glory days have long since faded. It’s gonna be ok.

TBH they can’t do much worse than the commies 

Brighton (near Rochester) changed its name from Barons because it sounded racist somehow. 

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Not a good way to describe him.  He is (or was) a fan and felt Washington was moving slowly and acquired them to prevent others from doing so.

I have seen the letter at work he sent but it appears that $nyder does not want him involved and would rather have his attorneys and PR bastard.

Maybe new owners will be more willing to work with him.

Yeah. That's his spiel for PR.

If that's truly the case, why didn't he sell rights for a reasonable cost to Snyder? No sale? That's because he's an extortionist out to make beaucoup bucks.

Just now, Limeaid said:

It is in on USPTO internal server. I cannot release it.  I am not like McConjecture who can get away with releasing of documents.

Not releasable, but you read it? LOL. Then the trademark squatter's letter is null and void and we revert to the situation that the squatter is out for himself.

13 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

One name I saw are really liked before was the RedHogs. Plays well into their team history. Fans have always showed up with pig noses to honor the OL (The Hogs).  Color scheme would work, they could use the "Hail to the Redskins" song..just switch it up a small bit.  And the mascot/branding/merchandising would be really easy. 

Red Hogs…is awesome!  Love it. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Your response is rhetorical and contemptuous. There is an anthropological phenomena across cultures involving the ritual use of red earth/pigment. It has nothing to do with skin color. Indigenous peoples used "war paint" because they anticipated the possibility of death in battle and the red coloration was understood across various ancient cultures as associated with passage to the next realm. It's actually interesting, but regardless, I wrote later in the thread that because the issue is contentious and many folk find it offensive, they ought to stick with Washington Football Team.

Redskins has a very specific and violent meaning. It refers to native scalps gathered as trophies and/or currency. 

4 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Redskins has a very specific and violent meaning. It refers to native scalps gathered as trophies and/or currency. 

does it? Is that what they were thinking about when the team was named in the 1930’s?

your avatar picture is offensive to me. Do you think you should have to change it?

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

Are you in Cambridge or Glens Falls, by chance?

Owego (southern tier). There’s a lot of Native American historical recognition in the area including a grave for Sa Sa Na which is one of the most visible landmarks in the village. It does stink to change, but then again we were the “Indians” and not the “Natives” so I kinda get it. Not many Native Americans from India after all. 

4 hours ago, Arkady Renko said:

Brighton (near Rochester) changed its name from Barons because it sounded racist somehow. 

Maybe I’m sheltered but I have no clue how Baron could be interpreted that way lol

57 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

does it? Is that what they were thinking about when the team was named in the 1930’s?

your avatar picture is offensive to me. Do you think you should have to change it?

It's not about a specific person being offended; I'm no morality scold. But sometimes seemingly innocuous language can contribute to historical blind spots and ongoing ignorance. If history is written by the victors, then so, too, is our language.

We are well equipped to evolve beyond the atrocities of our past, no? A sports team name should not evoke genocide/apartheid/ethnic cleansing. I think that's fair...

I favor the WFT moniker, personally. Has an old-school feel and is appropriately easy to confuse with WTF.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

It's not about a specific person being offended; I'm no morality scold. But sometimes seemingly innocuous language can contribute to historical blind spots and ongoing ignorance. If history is written by the victors, then so, too, is our language.

We are well equipped to evolve beyond the atrocities of our past, no? A sports team name should not evoke genocide/apartheid/ethnic cleansing. I think that's fair...

I favor the WFT moniker, personally. Has an old-school feel and is appropriately easy to confuse with WTF.

So… do we have to change our name too?

18 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Do you want Blackhawks, Braves, Indians, Chiefs, etc to change their team name too? 

6 hours ago, Arkady Renko said:

Also, St. John's changed its name to "Red Storm".

(And Beaver College in Philadelphia changed its name to Arcadia University.)

2 hours ago, KingBoots8 said:

Maybe I’m sheltered but I have no clue how Baron could be interpreted that way lol

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/rochester/education/2020/12/24/brighton-csd-replaces-barons-name

"Back in June, the school district announced they would drop the Barons name to show solidarity with the Black Lives Matter Movement.

School officials told Spectrum News the Barons name is a symbol of elitism and privilege that can be traced back to slavery."

Edited by chongli

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Do you want Blackhawks, Braves, Indians, Chiefs, etc to change their team name too? 

I'm not the gatekeeper of potentially racist names/mascots. I'm just a guy who thinks the name "Redskins" was worthy of removal due to its unfortunate origins. Let's not turn this into some kind of culture war, okay? 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.