Summer NCAA football top 25

ArdmoreRyno

Why not do some college football rankings that will be way off by next Feb.... ?

1. LSU

2. Michigan

3. tOSU

4. UGA

5. Alabama

6. Florida State

7. Clemson

8. USC

9. Utah

10. Washington

11. Tennessee

12. Oklahoma

13. Penn State

14. Oregon

15. TCU

16. Notre Dame

17. Oklahoma State

18. Baylor

19. Oregon State

20. UNC

21. Wisconsin

22. Tulane

23. Kansas State

24. UTSA

25. Texas (because it's required by law to include Texas in the Top 25 in every pre-season poll ever created)

6 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Why not do some college football rankings that will be way off by next Feb.... ?

1. LSU

2. Michigan

3. tOSU

4. UGA

5. Alabama

6. Florida State

7. Clemson

8. USC

9. Utah

10. Washington

11. Tennessee

12. Oklahoma

13. Penn State

14. Oregon

15. TCU

16. Notre Dame

17. Oklahoma State

18. Baylor

19. Oregon State

20. UNC

21. Wisconsin

22. Tulane

23. Kansas State

24. UTSA

25. Texas (because it's required by law to include Texas in the Top 25 in every pre-season poll ever created)

Louisiana State Vs. Florida State during week 1. We'll see how good these teams really are.

Alabama Vs. Texas week 2. Early chance to see if the Longhorns are worthy of that ranking.

Notre Dame Vs. Ohio State week 4. Huge game for the Irish.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/24/2023 at 3:40 PM, ArdmoreRyno said:

I think that you vastly underrate Texas. Their qb appears to be a good one and Sarkisian is perhaps the greatest offensive mind in colege, if not all of football.

I know that we disagree but IMO, Sark enjoys the advantage of playing in a not so great conference.

They play Alabama in week 2 and it will be a huge test for both teams.

Jmo.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I think that you vastly underrate Texas. Their qb appears to be a good one and Sarkisian is perhaps the greatest offensive mind in colege, if not all of football.

I know that we disagree but IMO, Sark enjoys the advantage of playing in a not so great conference.

Jmo.

If I haven't watched Texas lost nearly every season to my Pokes the past dozen or so years with the largest athletic budget in the country... I wouldn't joke about it. 

They are ranked top 25 EVERY SEASON and most of the time end up not ranked. 4 times they went from being pre-season ranked to having a below .500 season.

2011: 24th week 1 - NR at the end of the year

2012: 15th week 1 - NR at the end of the year

2013: 15th week 1 - NR at the end of the year

2014: 25th week 1 - NR at the end of the year

2015: NR week 1 - NR at the end of the year

2016: 11th week 2 - NR at the end of the year

2017: 23rd week 1 - NR at the end of the year

2018: 23rd week 1 - 9th at the end of the year

2019: 10th week 1 - NR at the end of the year

2020: 14th week 1 - 19th at the end of the year

2021: 21st week 1 - NR at the end of the year

2022: 21st week 2 - 25th at the end of the year

On 5/26/2023 at 3:22 PM, SUNY_amherst said:

15-0 team returns most their starting lineup including their best offensive player. how can you possibly not have them no. 1.

Texas will finish in the top 10 and Georgia &  Bama will play for the title

They return 13 starters return. They bring back a lot of All-SEC kids, but they lost Stetson Bennett. 93% of their offensive passing yards. Also lost the leading rusher and both tackles. 

Defensively, they lost arguably the best player in college football (Carter), nearly the entire defensive backfield and linebackers. 

That's why I don't have them #1. Until Texas proves it, I won't believe it. Again... my Pokes beat them every year and we have 1/5 the talent ad less than that in overall budget. 

7 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

They return 13 starters return. They bring back a lot of All-SEC kids, but they lost Stetson Bennett. 93% of their offensive passing yards. Also lost the leading rusher and both tackles. 

Defensively, they lost arguably the best player in college football (Carter), nearly the entire defensive backfield and linebackers. 

That's why I don't have them #1. Until Texas proves it, I won't believe it. Again... my Pokes beat them every year and we have 1/5 the talent ad less than that in overall budget. 

You don't think that Sark is a great coach?

13 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

You don't think that Sark is a great coach?

Saying he's a "great" coach at this moment is a massive stretch. Lots of AMAZING coordinators that turn out to be average to bad head coaches. 

He was average to bad at Washington... he was average at best while coaching USC where he got fired and he ended up having a drinking problem... and now at Texas, he is barely above .500. 

So I need to SEE him win as a head coach. Don't care what he did as an assistant at Bama. I know you're a massive Alabama homer, but being a good assistant doesn't always translate to a good head coach. You know this. 

4 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

So I need to SEE him win as a head coach. Don't care what he did as an assistant at Bama. I know you're a massive Alabama homer, but being a good assistant doesn't always translate to a good head coach. You know this. 

I do, but if Saban was hanging it up after the season (perish the thought) I would want Sark to be the next head coach. We also both know that football at the college and pro level is now an offensive sport. Because of all of the rule changes it is next to impossible to build a truly dominant defense. I know that the Crimson Tide 2020 team was loaded on offense (especially WR), but I heard players rave about Sark in interviews. He is that good. Sark did have alcohol issues to be sure, but who else would I want to replace Nick? Perhaps Kiffen? Lane too is an offensive genius but he is crazy lol. 

The Texas@Alabama game (game 2) will tell me quite a bit about the outlook for this years Alabama team.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

I do, but if Saban was hanging it up after the season (perish the thought) I would want Sark to be the next head coach. We also both know that football at the college and pro level is now an offensive sport. Because of all of the rule changes it is next to impossible to build a truly dominant defense. I know that the Crimson Tide 2020 team was loaded on offense (especially WR), but I heard players rave about Sark in interviews. He is that good. Sark did have alcohol issues to be sure, but who else would I want to replace Nick? Perhaps Kiffen? Lane too is an offensive genius but he is crazy lol. 

The Texas@Alabama game (game 2) will tell me quite a bit about the outlook for this years Alabama team.

I personally want Alabama to burn to the ground, lol. 

That said, I think Lane would be great at Bama. As you know, my youngest is at Ole Miss and the fans, students and especially players love the guy. I have nothing against Sarkisian. My exposure the past 20+ years to Texas football came to an end when they didn't include Oklahoma State on the 2023 schedule (I get why, 4-9 the last 13 seasons vs the Cowboys) so I have zero ill will against them or HCSS.  Best of luck to them in the SEC, they'll defiantly need it IMO. So will OU. 

Looking at the Saban tree and who I'd want in order... 

1. Lane

2. Napier

3. Cristobal

4. Sark

5. Dantonio (I bet he'd come out of retirement for Alabam). 

On 5/26/2023 at 9:05 AM, Bill from NYC said:

Jmo.

UT us LOADED with quality QB highlighted by Arch manning and a top recruit from Alabama going to be a high school senior next year.

And in a few years he will be in the SEC.

• 7 months later...

My review/humble pie/I was right/wrong

1. LSU  13 (12 off)

2. Michigan 1 (1 off)

3. tOSU 7 (6 off)

4. UGA 6 (2 off)

5. Alabama 4 (1 off)

6. Florida State 5 (1 off)

7. Clemson 22 (15 off)

8. USC NF (WAY TF OFF)

9. Utah 28 (19 off)

10. Washington 2 (8 off)

11. Tennessee 21 (10 off)

12. Oklahoma 12 (CORRECT)

13. Penn State 10 (3 off)

14. Oregon 8 (6 off)

15. TCU NR (WAY TF OFF)

16. Notre Dame 16 (CORRECT)

17. Oklahoma State 20 (3 off)

18. Baylor NR (WAY TF OFF)

19. Oregon State 19 (CORRECT)

20. UNC NR (WAY TF OFF)

21. Wisconsin NR (WAY TF OFF)

22. Tulane 26 (4 off)

23. Kansas State 25 (2 off)

24. UTSA NR (WAY TF OFF)

25. Texas 3 (22 off, way off)

NOT IN MY PRESEASON TOP 25

9. Mizzou

11. Ole Miss (I don't know why I didn't rank them preseason, with my youngest going to school there and Dart returning... I should have ranked them top 20)

15. Zona

23. Liberty

24. SMU

Not all that bad IMO. I had a few right on the money, I had a few way off. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.