Should Dion look like this?

Beck Water

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, you feel that he's getting fatter year by year, despite the fact that nobody else has him making linear progression in any direction. Fits your narrative, so you love it. It doesn't fit reality very well, but hey, if something has to go, let it be the facts. 

What has really happened with him is he's gone up and down. But worse each year is pretty much you alone. Relatively bad last year? Probably fair enough, particularly at the beginning of the year. In reality, his weight has gone up and down, and his play has been mostly up but has regressed a couple of times significantly. Hasn't been a linear progression in either direction. But hey, if it works for you, don't let sense stand in the way. Kidding yourself that you know the future, I mean, it makes you look silly, but if you feel comfortable in that role, go for it.

Oh, and are Josh and Knox 300+ pounders? OLs? Sorry, man, that's just a dumb comparison.

True enough that not all linemen have weight problems, but an awful lot do, partially due to the way they have to force themselves to eat to stay at a weight high enough to not get pushed out of the way. And plenty of those guys who do have concerns have long and very productive careers. Some don't. Some eat themselves out of the league in Fridge-like fashion. That's why it's something to watch. Plenty do just fine. But comparing linemen to skill position guys who weigh like 70 to 80 pounds less shows more about you not quite getting this than it does about the relationship linemen have with body weight.

And yeah, not great. Fair enough. Nobody's arguing that he's great, certainly not me. Top ten or twelve generally, sometimes a bit better and for a couple of periods significantly worse for a relatively short but real and concerning time. But generally, top ten or twelve. Which means most of the league would love to have him.

Yeah. I think the majority of this thread so far has been that he looks fat and out of shape. So I’ll just continue to be on the end that thinks he’s going in the wrong direction. And until he proves it to be incorrect, and actually show up in shape and looks like he’s taking his physical fitness serious, I guess I’ll be right. 

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, mrags said:

Whatever you believe and tell yourself I guess. I’ll just continue to watch him get fatter and fatter every year and worse and worse every year and won’t make excuses like “it’s only the start of OTAs”. Josh didn’t come in looking fat or out of shape. Knox didn’t come in looking fat and out of shape. The list could go on and on.
I’ll just accept that he’s not bad at his job but he’s not particularly great either. He COULD improve but doesn’t seem like he’s taking the right steps in the off-season to ensure that happens. You know, like how guys like Josh workout all off-season to better himself. How guys like even Tua go to some kind of camp/program to better themselves in some way in the off-season. Dions version of that must be hitting up the McDonald’s drive thru. And that’s fine if youre just some guy on the team. But he walks around like he’s a leader on the team, and he should be trying to better himself. Me personally, I don’t see that happening from him. At best he’s been consistently OK. Which tells me even if he’s not regressing, he’s not progressing either. 

It's crazy how you commend Tua for taking Judo but Dion Dawkins boxes and it doesn't count.  Boxing=McDonald's I guess?

32 minutes ago, mrags said:

Yeah. I think the majority of this thread so far has been that he looks fat and out of shape. So I’ll just continue to be on the end that thinks he’s going in the wrong direction. And until he proves it to be incorrect, and actually show up in shape and looks like he’s taking his physical fitness serious, I guess I’ll be right. 

Yeah, you will continue to be on that end. It fits your narrative.

You're trying to use the fact that he looks fat and out of shape now and pretend that that shows that he's getting fatter and worse every year. Makes absolutely zero sense. But again, don't let sense hold you back.

And don't let the fact that you're about alone way way way out on the fringes bother you either.

Does the picture show there's still something there to keep an eye on? Yeah. Does it show what you think it does? Um, no.

Edited by Thurman#1

16 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, you will continue to be on that end. It fits your narrative.

You're trying to use the fact that he looks fat and out of shape now and pretend that that shows that he's getting fatter and worse every year. Makes absolutely zero sense. But again, don't let sense hold you back.

And don't let the fact that you're about alone way way way out on the fringes bother you either.

Does the picture show there's still something there to keep an eye on? Yeah. Does it show what you think it does? Um, no.

K

2 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Makes me laugh reading this thread making excuses for the, ahem, "expanding" Dawkins.  

Years ago, hand-wringing Bills fans ripped Jason Peters for showing up to camp out of football shape after a contentious holdout.    

Now, a guy like Dawkins who is protecting Allen's blind side shows up doing his imitation of the Stay-Puft Marsmallow Man and it's no big deal.  After all, he's under contract and available for OTA's.

Makes me wonder what the reaction will be when he gives up a big hit on JA because those extra 25 pounds inhibited his mobility to mirror rushers. 

image.png.46e811d781d60c877fce0ebf15db4d16.png

You act like he doesn’t have 4 months + TC to get into shape…. 

he won’t be that big in September 

11 hours ago, BUFFALOTONE said:

I agree, not sure what Buffalo 716 was getting at but that point was lost on me. Dion protects Josh's blindside, should we wait for him to get into shape in November or run the risk of Josh getting crushed in September cause he was too fat and out of shape.

What are you suggesting the FO guys do? At this point of the offseason, it is easier for coaches to talk to him and "encourage" him to get to a reasonable playing weight by end-August, than to go looking for alternatives (at LT!!) on the scrap heap. If you were making some other point, please elaborate. 

6 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

It looks like he is getting into shape...to challenge for a Sumo championship. 

Some of those sumo wrestlers are quite mobile. I often wonder why we don’t get more of them into jerseys.

I guess my whole problem with this is just the optics. There was a video of Dion for the off-season that show that he was very into a boxing workout. His physique does not match what he says that he does in the off-season.

I don’t want him showing up to 190 pounds or whatever but every year he appears to get a little more wide he looks like a guard

On 5/23/2023 at 8:57 PM, Beck Water said:

I get it maybe Spencer Brown is a bit skinny for an OT but Dang!  Do you think the Bills want Dawkins to look like this? 

He seems a bit....rotund

vjkak36uwgzqhahtgk2a.jpg

To many dairy Queen blizzards for the schnowman 

21 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Makes me laugh reading this thread making excuses for the, ahem, "expanding" Dawkins.  

Years ago, hand-wringing Bills fans ripped Jason Peters for showing up to camp out of football shape after a contentious holdout.    

Now, a guy like Dawkins who is protecting Allen's blind side shows up doing his imitation of the Stay-Puft Marsmallow Man and it's no big deal.  After all, he's under contract and available for OTA's.

Makes me wonder what the reaction will be when he gives up a big hit on JA because those extra 25 pounds inhibited his mobility to mirror rushers. 

image.png.46e811d781d60c877fce0ebf15db4d16.png

I thought of something that could never ever hurt me

It’s the state puff marshmallow man

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Except that season when he came in too skinny after COVID.

This is what OTAs and training camp are for. I suspect he'll be in good LT shape by the second weekend in September.

Wish one one hand and crap in another. Tell me which one happens first 

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

What are you suggesting the FO guys do? At this point of the offseason, it is easier for coaches to talk to him and "encourage" him to get to a reasonable playing weight by end-August, than to go looking for alternatives (at LT!!) on the scrap heap. If you were making some other point, please elaborate. 

My point in counter to his was you're a professional athlete getting paid very well for maintaining your level of fitness and ability. Dion (imo) has regressed since getting his deal done. Could be a few factors but being out of shape and having to continually catch up to be in playing shape is a sign of a bad pro. It is also a concern that he protects your best asset, I never said cast him aside for another LT. Maybe the Bills have said something to him that we aren't privy to. I will give him credit, last years Miami away game he played every snap and held in there. That is brutal for a guy in that role. 

1 hour ago, BUFFALOTONE said:

My point in counter to his was you're a professional athlete getting paid very well for maintaining your level of fitness and ability. Dion (imo) has regressed since getting his deal done. Could be a few factors but being out of shape and having to continually catch up to be in playing shape is a sign of a bad pro. It is also a concern that he protects your best asset, I never said cast him aside for another LT. Maybe the Bills have said something to him that we aren't privy to. I will give him credit, last years Miami away game he played every snap and held in there. That is brutal for a guy in that role. 

Hey, they're called optional OTAs, and Dion decided to come even though he'd be showing off his bad offseason body. He doesn't have a history of being a Marcel Dareus or Kelvin Benjamin. Again, it's May, and I have no reason to doubt he'll be in good football shape in 100 days.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.