Should Dion look like this?

Beck Water

20 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I get it maybe Spencer Brown is a bit skinny for an OT but Dang!  Do you think the Bills want Dawkins to look like this? 

He seems a bit....rotund

vjkak36uwgzqhahtgk2a.jpg

Time for the Keto diet Dawkinator, and some Ozempic ( that’s a diabetes med being widely used for at loss right now).

57 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I’m not calling him an all pro but he is the best tackle we have by far

Which would be why some of us are concerned about him being able to perform at his previous level. Because he’s a good player and important to the team. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Dion Dawkins was more than fine last season … By the end of the season he was really good

They don’t make guys that size that move that quickly

Marcel Dareus was that size and much more athletic and strong.   He similarly got by at whatever weight he wanted to for many years as well..........he was even very good in 2017 and 2018 with Jacksonville despite being grossly out of shape compared to early in his career.  Then in 2019 he fell off dramatically.     Dareus was the same age then as Dion is now.   With few exceptions players reach a point....quite often in their late 20's..........where they gotta' work harder at it just to get the same results.    Not sure Dion is doing that.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Agree 4

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Marcel Dareus was that size and much more athletic and strong.   He similarly got by at whatever weight he wanted to for many years as well..........he was even very good in 2017 and 2018 with Jacksonville despite being grossly out of shape compared to early in his career.  Then in 2019 he fell off dramatically.     Dareus was the same age then as Dion is now.   With few exceptions players reach a point....quite often in their late 20's..........where they gotta' work harder at it just to get the same results.    Not sure Dion is doing that.

I can agree to that

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

And with Dion the consistency hasn't been there the last two years. When he has been good he has been very good. But his performances the past two years have been up and down..... not as much as his weight but up and down all the same.

• Agree 3

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And with Dion the consistency hasn't been there the last two years. When he has been good he has been very good. But his performances the past two years have been up and down..... not as much as his weight but up and down all the same.

To be honest that is the NFL… Talent margin between the players is actually pretty thin

What sets the all pros apart from regular starters is the consistency… Every play every game to be close to your peak

To make your bad day even be solid compared to others

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

To be honest that is the NFL… Talent margin between the players is actually pretty thin

What sets the all pros apart from regular starters is the consistency… Every play every game to be close to your peak

To make your bad day even be solid compared to others

For sure but is has been a legit concern with Dion and the fluctuations in weight are part of that picture IMO. Like I say, the team has had concerns. I don't think it is crazy for fans to. Even if one picture in OTAs isn't a reason to freak out.

• Agree 3

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

For sure but is has been a legit concern with Dion and the fluctuations in weight are part of that picture IMO. Like I say, the team has had concerns. I don't think it is crazy for fans to. Even if one picture in OTAs isn't a reason to freak out.

You keep referencing how “the team” has had “concerns” (plural) over several seasons. Can you post a few links for those of us who were unaware of their concerns as you suggested (and as another poster has now taken up the cause).  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

You keep referencing how “the team” has had “concerns” (plural) over several seasons. Can you post a few links for those of us who were unaware of their concerns as you suggested (and as another poster has now taken up the cause).  

The information I have didn't come from links. 

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree it’s not ideal …. But I don’t fret about that anymore because I can’t control it 

Every sport has the ability to maintain the best performance for just a small period of time… You’ll constantly hear McDermott talk about growth mindset, getting better daily

And Playing your best football when it matters most…

Against the patriots in the playoffs two years ago… The bills were certainly peeking as a team in January

It’s almost impossible to maintain that level of intensity For 20 weeks

Boxers go through 10 weeks of camp… To peak at the end right before they fight

You can’t be in peak boxing shape for 52 weeks … It’s too grueling … So they work into it and peak at the right time

I look at all the football players like they’re trying To get better every week and peak at the climax… Because it’s tough to maintain it for 20 Straight weeks

Come in good and End great… Rather than starting great and ending the opposite 

Every coach wants to team to be massively better at the end of the season then when it starts… Because you’re supposed to be growing

I understand the worry but I won’t be worried until he is playing bad in November 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Gunner is a pretty reliable poster here so you can question if you’d like but considering his reputation I’d doubt he’s making it up. 

I love Gunner. 
Sharing “the team is concerned about his weight” might have been misread by him in an email that said “Dear Gunner - We appreciate your order at the Bills Store but we don’t have any Dawkins jerseys in Medium size. He’s larger than that. Please feel free to re-order at your convenience”. 

That’s not really a source. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

22 hours ago, mrags said:

“We” also overpaid for a guy at LT to be a top tier guy and it hasn’t really worked out. 

don’t get me wrong. I don’t think he’s terrible. I think he’s extremely over rated. Especially by fans. And I think if he’s your 3rd best OL you’re in alright shape. But if you are expecting him to be your best OL then you are in trouble. I just think he would do much better with someone decent next to him. Hopefully McGovern helps him this year. 

It's really not that he's overrated.

It's that there's a group of Bills fans who underrate him. They want him to be a top five guy, and he's not. So they constantly carp about him. Constantly. He's been a guy who they have never had to worry about. He has played through injuries and had some real downturns but has always been solid even at his worst. The line has been a concern. But Dion has never been a worry.

He's not overpaid. Not underpaid either. If you want a guy who's top ten or twelve, after the rookie contract you have to pay him a lot higher than the 12th best salary. It's just how it works. He's at a high-value position, and that's just what you have to do. He's now 12th highest at AAV, and will fall a bit over the next couple of years. Then if we still want to keep him, which is likely but never sure, they'll have to give him an awful lot of money. It's the way it works. He's been a good deal for the Bills, all the way. Not a bargain but a good deal.

As for the picture, it's a mild concern. It's not nothing. But he's always been a guy who looked too big. And people want to ignore this, but there are good pictures and bad pictures. Some make you look big and some make you look small, body position, lighting, the way the clothing falls across the body. He legitimately does look a bit too big. Hard to be sure, and not a major concern right now at all.

But it's something to watch.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.