Should Dion look like this?

Beck Water

The days of “lets use the summer and training camp to get in shape” are long gone. Anyone who can’t stay in shape and maintain a healthy diet year round with millions of dollars at stake doesn’t deserve to be in the NFL.   Hopefully the Bills remember this the next time tub of goo is looking for a new contract. 

Stay in shape during your playing days and then upon retirement become a fat slob 365 days a year. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Pete said:

What are your insightful thoughts on Poona Ford’s body type?

You do understand that athletes come in all shapes and sizes?

I understand body fat percentage, and by Sumo wrestling standards, Dawkins is in decent shape. Maybe Beane should forego the draft, and scour Japan for the next starting RT.

13 hours ago, Beck Water said:

That's pretty much where I'm at

Honest question, Why?  Very curious

I think its probably known that those guys are gonna shed pounds as they move through Training Camp.  Come in a little bulky, turn it into lean muscle while the extra fat is burned off to be at peak weight come week 1?  im thinking this is possible

39 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

The days of “lets use the summer and training camp to get in shape” are long gone. Anyone who can’t stay in shape and maintain a healthy diet year round with millions of dollars at stake doesn’t deserve to be in the NFL.   Hopefully the Bills remember this the next time tub of goo is looking for a new contract. 

Stay in shape during your playing days and then upon retirement become a fat slob 365 days a year. 

Many O linemen shed weight once they are out of the league.  Sometimes they have calorie intake requirements and need to maintain the size

• Like (+1) 1

@GunnerBill pretty much put this thread to bed.  The answer is no - he should not be looking like that.  Yes, linemen often show up overweight to OTAs and work their way into shape.  But Dion is coming off of his worst full year, a year after missing lots of time, and the injuries have started mounting for him.  Plus the line underperformed as a unit and (correct me if I'm wrong) Dion has been a team captain.  Showing up obese under all of the circumstances with all that's on the line this season is a bad look.  I believe they would've looked closely at LTs in the draft if there had been more depth and I definitely expect them to prioritize upgrading the position next offseason.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

34 minutes ago, Sargent Hulka said:

I understand body fat percentage, and by Sumo wrestling standards, Dawkins is in decent shape. Maybe Beane should forego the draft, and scour Japan for the next starting RT.

Takanoyama Таканояма

Pavel Bojar, known by his Japanese name Takanoyama Shuntarō. The 31-year-old Czech sumo sensation, weighing in at 216 pounds

• Like (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Takanoyama Таканояма

Tochinoshin Tsuyoshi just officially retired last week. The only sumo i’d ever looked up before. Now it seems the Japanese don’t dominate their own sport just like Canadians and hockey.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, benderbender said:

Tochinoshin Tsuyoshi just officially retired last week. The only sumo i’d ever looked up before. Now it seems the Japanese don’t dominate their own sport just like Canadians and hockey.

I spent time in Japan in the early 90's.. Watched a few tournaments on TV. It was fun  to watch. Wish I could of attended a match but never did... tickets are tough to come by for the big leagues

When I was there the Yukozuma was a Hawaiian

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Akebono

Akebono, original name Chadwick Haheo Rowan, also called (from 1996) Akebono Tarō, (born May 8, 1969, Waimanalo, Hawaii, U.S.), American-born Japanese sumo wrestler, who, in January 1993, became the first non-Japanese person to be elevated to yokozuna (grand champion) status, the highest rank in professional sumo.

15 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Because peaking too early …it’s a real thing

It’s a long NFL season and being in peak shape in June does nothing for November or December 

mini camp and TC are there to get into football shape at a good pace …

No QB wants to have his arm feel the best all year in July …. A quarterback wants to be peak performance in real game time 

that’s why QBs are on throwing cycles … sometimes they don’t throw for weeks …. And that’s so they don’t peak too early and have their arm prime in the off season 

they want it prime when it matters 

it matters how dion looks in october … not May

ofc I would assume he’s carrying extra weight … it’s so he will be at his playing weight in September after Mini and training camp

if he looks like that after TC… different story 

but he should trim down 

Being in good physical condition with proper body composition is wildly different than peaking. 

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I know he's had weight issues before but is it possibly just the angle and the perspective? He posted this picture from OTAs to his Instagram:

Smart-Select-20230524-124123-Gallery.jpg

He looks fine. Look at his calves and quads. There's not much extra fat to be seen

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mango said:

Being in good physical condition with proper body composition is wildly different than peaking. 

Unless you’re a skinny twig like Spencer Brown

Every single NFL lineman loses some weight during mini camp and training camp and the season… Football is a grind

I used to lose a decent amount of weight during a football season

There’s no reason for Dion Dawkins to come in at his actual Sunday game weight in May.., Because he’s going to lose that weight by September… camp gets your body into football shape … lineman lose weight 

The season is a massive grind …it takes a toll on your body

Offensive lineman are literally called big uglies for a reason

And he passed the conditioning test

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Unless you’re a skinny twig like Spencer Brown

Every single NFL lineman loses weight during mini camp and training camp and the season… Football is a grind

I used to lose a good amount of weight during a football season

There’s no reason for Dion Dawkins to come in at his actual Sunday game weight in May.., Because he’s going to lose a lot of weight by September

And he’s gonna lose more weight by December

The season is a massive grind it takes a toll on your body

And he’s clearly not in bad condition because he passed the conditioning drills… If he was unable to practice it would be a problem 

Offensive lineman are literally called big uglies for a reason

So if all OL suffer massive weight loss between OTA’s, training camp, and the regular season, then why aren’t they all ridiculously overweight at this time of year?  

Sorry…I am not buying what you are selling. 

• Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.