Should Dion look like this?

Beck Water

Honestly he looks bigger arm wise too.  He'll drop some weight doing conditioning with the team, but I think he's learned that after the covid year that you don't want to slim down at the position.  

9 hours ago, mrags said:

“We” also overpaid for a guy at LT to be a top tier guy and it hasn’t really worked out. 

don’t get me wrong. I don’t think he’s terrible. I think he’s extremely over rated. Especially by fans. And I think if he’s your 3rd best OL you’re in alright shape. But if you are expecting him to be your best OL then you are in trouble. I just think he would do much better with someone decent next to him. Hopefully McGovern helps him this year. 

He's what... 21 in AAV at tackle? 

26 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

He's what... 21 in AAV at tackle? 

12th among LTs LINK and 22nd among OTs. That seems about right for him. I’ve always liked Dawkins as a player and from what I’ve seen of him as a person. That said, his weight has been a concern that has grown each season. I can see him playing out his contract but don’t see how he gets extended. Not bringing in a quality swing tackle this season could be a real problem. 

59 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

TrentWilliams22Camp.png1200x0.jpg0ef38564f568402880f9e60f678a1ffc.jpg

Are you the guy that was claiming that Trent Williams maintains the same condition as Dawkins because they are both "listed" at 330?   Because even in these pictures it's very clear that Dawkins is much fatter.    Dawkins is more in the 350+ range in June every year.   He's got the bingo wings flapping in the OP picture. 

3 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

12th among LTs LINK and 22nd among OTs. That seems about right for him. I’ve always liked Dawkins as a player and from what I’ve seen of him as a person. That said, his weight has been a concern that has grown each season. I can see him playing out his contract but don’t see how he gets extended. Not bringing in a quality swing tackle this season could be a real problem. 

Yeah he's not overpaid and unless he starts getting injured he's probably an average LT over the next two seasons that he is under contract.   He's just capable of being better and you'd like to have seen him get serious about being one of the best and staying at LT into his mid-30's.    If he had done so by now he probably would have already gotten a big contract extension already.   They are letting his deal play out for a reason.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

He's out of shape.  Clearly. The biggest problem for the Bills OL is summed up in this picture.  

Beer league softball strong, but terribly conditioned, especially compared to the guys on the Eagles and Ravens offensive lines.   The Eagles running success is due in large part to the excellent conditioning of their linemen.  Those guys are physically in the game in the fourth quarter. 

Bills OL are physically exhausted by halftime.  Lots of hands on hips, gasping for oxygen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, dpberr said:

He's out of shape.  Clearly. The biggest problem for the Bills OL is summed up in this picture.  

Beer league softball strong, but terribly conditioned, especially compared to the guys on the Eagles and Ravens offensive lines.   The Eagles running success is due in large part to the excellent conditioning of their linemen.  Those guys are physically in the game in the fourth quarter. 

Bills OL are physically exhausted by halftime.  Lots of hands on hips, gasping for oxygen.

Damn, we are better than we thought.

We won 13 games last year when our OL can only play half the game by being exhausted.

James Cook might be the best RB in the NFL by a wide margin because he averaged 5.7 ypc behind a line that only plays one half of football.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

He’s a big dude and still a better athlete 99.9% of this MB lol

What's your point?  The scrubs who come in for weekly tryouts to see if they make the practice squad are better athletes than 99.99% of this message board.

That's why they're professional athletes who get paid millions of dollars a year to be athletes and we're on a message board, durrrrr.

Even the scrubs on the practice squad make at minimum $216,000 per year, which is likely more than 99% of the people on this message board make or made in their best year.

The question is, is he in his best shape to protect Josh's blindside or is this going to be another early 2021 where Dion was a train wreck in the early season and Josh's eyes were going to the L side of his line instead of downfield (Dion leveled up at the end of that season and played very well)

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

He is 14th. That list misses Mailata ($16m AAV) and Stanley ($19.75m AAV).

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, dpberr said:

I think the pass and run splits cause a lot of that too.  Pass blocking is just constantly getting pushed back, punched, chopped, etc instead of driving forward.  Hopefully getting a bit stouter with bigger backs, adding a power guard can help some of that.  I'd like to see us be able to grind a lead out in some of these midseason games.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.