All 90 Roster Spots Filled - Bills Current Roster Heading to Camp

3 hours ago, Herb Nightly said:

Trading Morse does NOT save 10 million,even if you COULD convince another team to trade.  His salary is closer to 6,and the dead cap for him would be 8 -something. He and Josh have several years together  and Morse played well last year. He isnt going anywhere. 

Well, in response, I did say it isn't likely on the OP. And to the point of your response: According to Over The Cap trading Morse after June 1st leaves $3M in dead money. Cap savings would be $8.3M. 

Agree that he likely is safe for at least 1 more year. However, being cap strapped leads teams to do things sometimes a year earlier than they normally would want to. So while not very likely (as I said in the OP) it would be an option especially if they had ANY internal reservation about Mitch's concussion history.

Yes he and Josh have several years together.  So did Josh and Beasley. Josh and Brown. Players always play with new teammates.  Morse won't be here Josh's whole career.

22 hours ago, KingBoots8 said:

Way too early roster predictions. Bold makes the 53, italics PS:

QB:
Josh Allen #17 
Kyle Allen #9

Matt Barkley #5

RB:
James Cook #4
Damien Harris #22
Nyheim Hines #0

Latavius Murray #28
Isaiah Bowser #38
-
Reggie Gilliam #41

WR:
Stefon Diggs #14
Gabe Davis #13
Deonte Harty #11
Khalil Shakir #10
Trent Sherfield #16
Justin Shorter #18

KeeSean Johnson #81
Tyrell Shavers #80

TE: 
Dalton Kincaid #86
Dawson Knox #88
Quintin Morris #85

OL:
Dion Dawkins #73
Connor McGovern #66
Mitch Morse #60
O'Cyrus Torrence #64
Spencer Brown #79

-
Ryan Bates #71
David Quessenberry #77

David Edwards #
Tommy Doyle #72
Ike Boettger #65
Nick Broeker #67
Richard Gouraige #75

DE: 
Von Miller #40
Greg Rousseau #50
Shaq Lawson #90
A.J. Epenesa #57
Carlos Basham Jr. #55

Shane Ray #56

DT:
Ed Oliver #91
DaQuan Jones #92
Poona Ford #98
Jordan Phillips #97
Tim Settle #99

Brandin Bryant #93
DJ Dale # 61

LB:
Matt Milano #58
Terrel Bernard #43
Dorian Williams #42
A.J. Klein #54
Tyrel Dodson #53

Tyler Matakevitch #44
Baylon Spector #54

CB:
Tre'Davious White #27
Kaiir Elam #24
Dane Jackson #39
Taron Johnson #7
Christian Benford #47
Siran Neal #33

Cam Lewis #39
Alex Austin #29

S:
Jordan Poyer #21
Micah Hyde #23
Taylor Rapp #20
Damar Hamlin #3
Dean Marlowe #31

Zayne Anderson #38

ST:

Tyler Bass #2
Sam Martin #8
Reid Ferguson #69

Very likely Miller and Hamlin don't start out on 53.

Most year prior the teams initial roster is 25O/25D/3S, you currently have 23O/27D/3S. Take the two names above out and add in Morris and one more lineman.   Likely will want an extra blocking TE

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Very likely Miller and Hamlin don't start out on 53.

Most year prior the teams initial roster is 25O/25D/3S, you currently have 23O/27D/3S. Take the two names above out and add in Morris and one more lineman.   Likely will want an extra blocking TE

Either Hamlin is ready to go full bore and is on the 53 with Marlowe on the Practice Squad or he's not and he'll be out on a designated list with Marlowe on the 53.

Miller will be on the 53. He's not starting the year on PUP and being shut down for a minimum of 6 games. His injury and surgery were not the same as Tre's. His recovery time is much quicker than that. Beane has said he expects to have him most, if not all of the season and Von himself says he's on pace to not miss any time and at most a game or two.

23 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

It's how Beane wants it. After spending a 3rd on Bernard last season and him being brought along slowly as a Rookie, he wants to give him every opportunity to win the job and validate his investment.

But he also covered his bases in case he can't. In the event he can't, he brought back A.J. Klein (as well as Tyrel Dodson) as steady veteran insurance. Also drafting Dorian Williams as further insurance, or at the very least depth at both MLB and OLB.

Taylor Rapp will also surely be deployed further upfield in some packages and McDermott will scheme around the MLB position.

I find it funny how (not necessarily saying you) some fans spent all of the past few years saying Edmunds was "just a guy" or a liability and we couldn't get any worse. Now everyone's stressed about the shape of MLB now that he's gone.

Yep, Edmunds was extremely valuable to this D. 

What they do with this LB corps is the only huge question mark this offseason. Under McDermott the LB group has always had a consistent identity.

I get that offensive line is still a significant question, but that group has never had a consistent identity, so I'm just used to it. The center and tackles are locked in and there are two new guards, but no real mystery there. 

Every other position group is locked in.

The three big variables on this team are Von Miller, Tre White and Micah Hyde.  All of them have the potential to have all-pro 2023 seasons.   Any or all of them could completely wash out.  If all three of them perform at NFL average levels, then we best hope the offense is scoring 40 points a game.  If they all play at past peak form, no one will even be aware that we have weak linebacking corp, and the Bills become the team to beat in the entire AFC. 

Edited by Chaos

51 minutes ago, JohninMinn. said:

Addition by subtraction. Edmunds was a disaster and a danger to his teammates with late hits.

Indeed, the fact that he started overthe likes of Dodson, Kline, Bernard, etc. is a mystery that to this day confounds the brightest minds.

• Haha (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Snappysnackcakes said:

https://theathletic.com/4305440/2023/03/13/bears-tremaine-edwards-free-agency-fit/?amp=1

Athletic article.

I wouldn’t speculate that out to everyone. 

That is beat reporter speculation. Nobody from the Bears is quoted. Here is Eberflus.... the Bears actual Head Coach... naming Edmunds the starting MIKE 

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/bears-matt-eberflus-names-tremaine-edmunds-mike-linebacker#:~:text=In Matt Eberflus' defense%2C the,creating havoc in all facets

18 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

Thansk for sharing, that's great information!

My biggest concerns from 2021 and 2022 have been addressed, and hopefully pan out:

1. Interior OL

2. Def playcalling/style

3. Lack of middle field weapons/YAC guys

4. Def line

And agree about our division, I think it will be weaker than much of the media is predicting.  Similar to the Afc west last season.  

Spot on about Hyde and Tre.  I'm also bullish on our young DEs taking a big step forward.

Solidarnosc!

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

That is beat reporter speculation. Nobody from the Bears is quoted. Here is Eberflus.... the Bears actual Head Coach... naming Edmunds the starting MIKE 

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/bears-matt-eberflus-names-tremaine-edmunds-mike-linebacker#:~:text=In Matt Eberflus' defense%2C the,creating havoc in all facets

I stand corrected. My apologies. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Airseven said:

How in the world does that group remain along the OL? Beane has had years to invest properly and yet continues to shuffle middling talent. It’s baffling.

Past years I would agree with you. This group (on paper) seems to be a step or two above middling on the whole. You have Dawkins and Morse that are locked in. Torrence has a skillset that could land him anywhere from very solid to just below elite level. Then you have McGovern and Edwards...both have showed above average in the past (Edwards is coming off down year). Bates I would put at league average. The rest of the reserves are on par with reserve linemen around the NFL. Brown is the only big question mark but he showed well his rookie season as well before a down year with a bum back.  Doyle is VERY underrated in that 6th lineman/tackle eligible role he had 2 years ago. And dude is tough as nails. 

There are questions, sure. And we need at LEAST one of Torrence, Bates and Edwards to take the RG job and make it theirs. But as a whole at least this year there are multiple bullets in the OLine gun. Just need a guy or two to step up.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Either Hamlin is ready to go full bore and is on the 53 with Marlowe on the Practice Squad or he's not and he'll be out on a designated list with Marlowe on the 53.

Miller will be on the 53. He's not starting the year on PUP and being shut down for a minimum of 6 games. His injury and surgery were not the same as Tre's. His recovery time is much quicker than that. Beane has said he expects to have him most, if not all of the season and Von himself says he's on pace to not miss any time and at most a game or two.

The post I was replying to "Kings somebody" had both Hamlin and Marlowe on the 53, 5 safeties.  That's not likely.

Again the post I was replying to had Miller on the 53 along with 4 other DE's plus 5 DT's for a total of 10.  That's also not typically happened, usually a total of 9 D lineman on the 53 and more often was 5 DE and 4 DT.  With him having 5 safeties and 10 DL you're short changing other areas of roster, and it appeared with 27 defensive players and only 23 on offense, that was the area.  IMO based on past performance, not likely to happen.

I agree Miller's injury isn't the same, but Miller yesterday stated he'd be back by Oct 6th, that's 4 games in.  Most articles I've read all project him to not be on the initial 53 and will be out for 6 games.  Add in that it's 2nd knee injury and he's getting older all work against he team rushing him back.  He may be ready week 1 to go or close enough that's they'd keep him active, but just as likely he's not there.

On 5/24/2023 at 10:35 AM, BuffaloBillyG said:

A LOT of really good camp battles this year IMO not only for a few starting spots but the end of roster battle should prove heated as well.

QB: Pretty much what you see will be what you get. Unless Kyle Allen falls on his face he's the back up. Bills COULD keep Barkley on active roster due to new emergency QB rule but I don't see it.

RB: I would say Cook is the only "lock" in this room with Hines, Harris and Murray close to it. Maybe one of the young backs surprises and makes it interesting...but I feel like they are playing for a PS spot.

WR: Diggs and Davis are locked. Sherfield seems to have made an early impression on Josh based on yesterday's presser. Shakir seems safe and Harty likely makes it. Shorter seems to have an inside track to a spot. That's 6 with the rest of the guys battling for PS or a possible 7th WR spot.

TE: Obviously Knox and Kincaid are locked. Morris has a good shot to make it or a PS spot. Don't see the others as more than camp bodies...but they may push Morris.

OL: Room looks MUCH deeper than last year. Lots of ways this could go. Dawkins, Torrence, McGovern and Brown seem to be locks. Morse as well, however if Torrence AND Edwards show up well...could it push the Bills to slide Bates to Center, trade Morse and save about $10M off the cap? Most likely not, however the room is deep with guys The Bills like. Doyle, Ike, Q...I expect one of these guys traded late in the preseason for a late round pick. Beane LOVES to do that if he can.

DE: Von and Groot are locked...but Von could possibly start on the PUP giving the Bills an extra spot. I see it as AJE, Basham, Lawson and Shane Ray competing for 2 spots maybe 3. 

DT: Oliver, Ford and Jones are likely in. Settle and Phillips may be challenged by Bryant or Ankou. 

LB: THE competition of this preseason IMO. Any one of about 5 guys may step up and ***** that MLB spot. Milano and Williams are the only guaranteed guys that make the roster with Dodson maybe the next most likely.

CB: White, Elam, Jackson, Johnson and Benford all should make the cut. Neal is likely as well due to ST play. Yes, the Bills will keep some ST players. Every team needs em. 

S: Suddenly a deep room filled with competition. Poyer and Hyde-locks. Rapp very likely is in. 2 wild cards here are- Hamlin and his health and if he plays the way he did or plays timid. And Zayne Anderson. Very solid STer that could push someone like Neal for his roster spot potentially.

The ST unit remains intact.

All in all I have 35 guys as "roster locks" and another 12-14 as "almost locks". We are going to be letting some good football players hit waivers for sure. Deep rosters have that issue. Hopefully we land a bunch back on our PS.

When you look at investments, a lot of your "almost locks" are just flat out locks. 

QB - Barkley will not make the 53, even with the QB rule.

RB - They just handed Nyheim Hines 4 million upfront as part of a restructure, as well as giving up a 5th Round pick for him less than a year ago. He's a lock. Harris is also a lock. We brought him in specifically to play a role we haven't had in the Backfield. The only question is whether or not we keep 4 RB's on the 53 or just 3. I tend to feel we do keep 4. Then the opportunity for a UDFA to make it over Murray is a small possibility.

WR - As you said, Diggs and Davis are stone cold locks. Harty was just handed a 2 year, 9.5m deal with a 4.75m dead cap if released this season. It will cost us more to cut him than keep him this year. He's a lock. Shakir showed a lot of flashes last season and being a 5th Round pick just a year ago, extremely unlikely to be snuck on to the Practice Squad. Shorter also was a 5th investment and it's doubtful they'd risk losing him for nothing. Sherfield was a steal at his contract and will be important to ST and has impressed Josh. Long story short, there's 3 stone cold locks and 3 as close to locks as you can get. I don't see a way any of the other WR's are pushing any of them off the 53. They're all playing for PS spots.

TE - Obviously Knox and Kincaid aren't going anywhere. But I see Morris on the outside looking in. Gilliam started as a TE for us and plays a bit of a hybrid role. He signed a large contract for his role last season. With the addition of a very good blocking back in Harris, I could see packages where Harris is in the backfield and Gilliam is blocking on the line in Morris' role, as well as playing his FB role when Harris isn't on the field. Morris is #54 on my roster and sneaking him on to the PS shouldn't be an issue. Zach Davidson is a talented former 5th Round pick who has been with the team since the start of last year. He'd be good insurance in the small event we weren't able to get Morris back.

OL - Dawkins, McGovern, Morse, Torrence, Brown, and Bates are all stone cold locks. Morse, as stated by another poster, isn't going anywhere. He's not a trade candidate to save money this year. Bates will either be starting at Guard or he'll be the first off the bench at any spot on the line. I think he may even be the first to start at RT if Brown becomes injured or falters. Edwards, like Sherfield, is too much of a value for what he provides. Plus has history with Kromer. He's as close to a lock as they come. Doyle will start on PUP given the severity of his ACL tear (playing an entire game on it) and repair in October. The final 2 spots are up for grabs, with 1 of Quessenberry or Gouriage and 1 of either Boettger or Broeker, the most likely final 2.

DE - If Von starts on PUP, there's no question the competition between AJE, Shaq, Basham, and Ray will be for at least 3 spots, if not all 4 staying until Von returns. There's no way we start the season with only 3 DE's. Likely, we keep 5 DE's on the roster at all times. Just as we did last season.

DT - Oliver, Jones, and Ford are all stone cold locks. Phillips and Settle are also as close to locks as possible. I see all 5 making the 53 and it being extremely unlikely either Phillips or Settle are unseated by Bryant or Ankou.

LB - Agreed that Milano and Williams are locks. But Bernard is as well. There's no way Beane releases a 3rd Round pick after only one season. Regardless of how he looks in Training Camp or Pre-Season, he's going to get at least 2 seasons. Matakevitch being the most important ST'er we have is also a lock. Then it comes down to Klein and Dodson, IMO. I see both being kept. But if they decide to keep only 5, it will be one or the other. Baylon Spector is a fan favorite. But I can't see him knocking any of the LB's we have off the 53, even if we keep 6. Re-signing both Klein and Dodson and drafting Williams sealed his fate.

CB - Agreed on all counts. White, Elam, Benford, Johnson, Jackson, and Neal are all etched in stone to me, save for injuries.

S - Poyer, Hyde, and Rapp are locks. Then it comes down to the 4th and final Safety spot. Which to me, is pretty cut and dry. Either Hamlin returns to form and is completely ready to go, in which case he'll be on the 53 and Marlowe goes to the Practice Squad. Or he isn't, is put on a Designated list and Marlowe stays on the 53. I don't see Anderson staying as a 5th Safety for his ST. Any other ST'er is too vital as a backup compared to Anderson. Neal is our only other Nickel CB on the 53.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

When you look at investments, a lot of your "almost locks" are just flat out locks. 

QB - Barkley will not make the 53, even with the QB rule.

RB - They just handed Nyheim Hines 4 million upfront as part of a restructure, as well as giving up a 5th Round pick for him less than a year ago. He's a lock. Harris is also a lock. We brought him in specifically to play a role we haven't had in the Backfield. The only question is whether or not we keep 4 RB's on the 53 or just 3. I tend to feel we do keep 4. Then the opportunity for a UDFA to make it over Murray is a small possibility.

WR - As you said, Diggs and Davis are stone cold locks. Harty was just handed a 2 year, 9.5m deal with a 4.75m dead cap if released this season. It will cost us more to cut him than keep him this year. He's a lock. Shakir showed a lot of flashes last season and being a 5th Round pick just a year ago, extremely unlikely to be snuck on to the Practice Squad. Shorter also was a 5th investment and it's doubtful they'd risk losing him for nothing. Sherfield was a steal at his contract and will be important to ST and has impressed Josh. Long story short, there's 3 stone cold locks and 3 as close to locks as you can get. I don't see a way any of the other WR's are pushing any of them off the 53. They're all playing for PS spots.

TE - Obviously Knox and Kincaid aren't going anywhere. But I see Morris on the outside looking in. Gilliam started as a TE for us and plays a bit of a hybrid role. He signed a large contract for his role last season. With the addition of a very good blocking back in Harris, I could see packages where Harris is in the backfield and Gilliam is blocking on the line in Morris' role, as well as playing his FB role when Harris isn't on the field. Morris is #54 on my roster and sneaking him on to the PS shouldn't be an issue. Zach Davidson is a talented former 5th Round pick who has been with the team since the start of last year. He'd be good insurance in the small event we weren't able to get Morris back.

OL - Dawkins, McGovern, Morse, Torrence, Brown, and Bates are all stone cold locks. Morse, as stated by another poster, isn't going anywhere. He's not a trade candidate to save money this year. Bates will either be starting at Guard or he'll be the first off the bench at any spot on the line. I think he may even be the first to start at RT if Brown becomes injured or falters. Edwards, like Sherfield, is too much of a value for what he provides. Plus has history with Kromer. He's as close to a lock as they come. Doyle will start on PUP given the severity of his ACL tear (playing an entire game on it) and repair in October. The final 2 spots are up for grabs, with 1 of Quessenberry or Gouriage and 1 of either Boettger or Broeker, the most likely final 2.

DE - If Von starts on PUP, there's no question the competition between AJE, Shaq, Basham, and Ray will be for at least 3 spots, if not all 4 staying until Von returns. There's no way we start the season with only 3 DE's. Likely, we keep 5 DE's on the roster at all times. Just as we did last season.

DT - Oliver, Jones, and Ford are all stone cold locks. Phillips and Settle are also as close to locks as possible. I see all 5 making the 53 and it being extremely unlikely either Phillips or Settle are unseated by Bryant or Ankou.

LB - Agreed that Milano and Williams are locks. But Bernard is as well. There's no way Beane releases a 3rd Round pick after only one season. Regardless of how he looks in Training Camp or Pre-Season, he's going to get at least 2 seasons. Matakevitch being the most important ST'er we have is also a lock. Then it comes down to Klein and Dodson, IMO. I see both being kept. But if they decide to keep only 5, it will be one or the other. Baylon Spector is fan favorite. But I can't see him knocking any of the LB's we have off the 53, even if we keep 6. Re-signing both Klein and Dodson and drafting Williams sealed his fate.

CB - Agreed on all counts. White, Elam, Benford, Johnson, Jackson, and Neal are all etched in stone to me, save for injuries.

S - Poyer, Hyde, and Rapp are locks. Then it comes down to the 4th and final Safety spot. Which to me, is pretty cut and dry. Either Hamlin returns to form and is completely ready to go, in which case he'll be on the 53 and Marlowe goes to the Practice Squad. Or he isn't, is put on a Designated list and Marlowe stags on the 53. I don't see Anderson staying as a 5th Safety for his ST. Any other ST'er is too vital as a backup compared to Anderson. Neal is our only other Nickel CB on the 53.

Well thought out and broken down. Appears bwe agree on the vast majority. 

One thing I will say is when it comes to dollar investments, Beane isn't afraid to cut bait on someone that isn't providing what they thought they would get. Case in point just last year: OJ Howard who was (IIRC) about $3M in dead cash after getting the boot. If someone like Harris doesn't meet standard (I believe he will...always been a fan of his talents) Beane with ear some dead money if he has to.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Well thought out and broken down. Appears bwe agree on the vast majority. 

One thing I will say is when it comes to dollar investments, Beane isn't afraid to cut bait on someone that isn't providing what they thought they would get. Case in point just last year: OJ Howard who was (IIRC) about $3M in dead cash after getting the boot. If someone like Harris doesn't meet standard (I believe he will...always been a fan of his talents) Beane with ear some dead money if he has to.

To an extent, I agree with that. 

But there's a difference between giving a guy like Howard a 1 year deal that will cost us 3 to cut bait and say a Harty on a 2 year deal that would cost us 5. 

And I don't see Harris as a RB having the issues that Howard had transitioning to our system, running routes, and jiving with Josh. Anything's possible, but I would be floored if Harris with the skillset he's bringing in is released in favor of an UDFA.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

To an extent, I agree with that. 

But there's a difference between giving a guy like Howard a 1 year deal that will cost us 3 to cut bait and say a Harty on a 2 year deal that would cost us 5. 

And I don't see Harris as a RB having the issues that Howard had transitioning to our system, running routes, and jiving with Josh. Anything's possible, but I would be floored if Harris with the skillset he's bringing in is released in favor of an UDFA.

You obviously put a lot of thought into it. Is there a chance that Gilliam is the odd man out of the RB room? Seems like with the key additions of Harris, Murray, and one might even say Kincaid that keeping a pass catching FB is a roster ‘luxury’. 

Edited by SoCal Deek

The roster cutdown this year is going to be super interesting. I would not underestimate the HUGE hit Special Teams just took with the NFL basically killing kickoffs. Players who would have made this roster on the basis of being a gunner or kick returner just had their values slashed dramatically. I could see teams carrying more skill position backups now and less 4th string linebackers and safeties to play teams. If you have a directional punter, special teams could theoretically almost never have to cover the field, just boot the ball out of the endzone on kickoffs and kick it out of bounds on punts.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.