All 90 Roster Spots Filled - Bills Current Roster Heading to Camp

32 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

WR looks pretty questionable… banking on some “what ifs” to come through…. Guess I’m in the minority but I’m not worried whatsoever about LB.

Henry and Sheffield are NFL caliber depth based on the production they had with New Orleans and Miami respectively.

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

With yesterday's additions of Dean Marlowe and Joel Wilson, all 90 roster spots have been filled. If there are further additions, it will require someone being released. 

As it stands now, here is our roster heading into Training Camp:

QB:
Josh Allen #17 
Kyle Allen #9
Matt Barkley #5

RB:
James Cook #4
Damien Harris #22
Nyheim Hines #0
Latavius Murray #28
Jordan Mims #35
Isaiah Bowser #38
-
Reggie Gilliam #41

WR:
Stefon Diggs #14
Gabe Davis #13
Deonte Harty #11
Khalil Shakir #10
Trent Sherfield #16
Justin Shorter #18
KeeSean Johnson #81
Dezmon Patmon #19
Isaiah Coulter #82
Jalen Wayne #87
Braydon Johnson #15
Tyrell Shavers #80
Bryan Thompson #89

TE: 
Dalton Kincaid #86
Dawson Knox #88
Quintin Morris #85
Zach Davidson #84
Joel Wilson #48

OL:
Dion Dawkins #73
Connor McGovern #66
Mitch Morse #60
O'Cyrus Torrence #64
Spencer Brown #79
-
Ryan Bates #71
David Quessenberry #77
David Edwards #
Tommy Doyle #72
Ike Boettger #65
Nick Broeker #67
Richard Gouraige #75
Greg Mancz #62
Kevin Jarvis #63
Alec Anderson #70
Ryan Van Demark #74

DE: 
Von Miller #40
Greg Rousseau #50
Shaq Lawson #90
A.J. Epenesa #57
Carlos Basham Jr. #55
Shane Ray #56
Kingsley Jonathan #59
Kameron Cline #
Kendal Vickers #93

DT:
Ed Oliver #91
DaQuan Jones #92
Poona Ford #98
Jordan Phillips #97
Tim Settle #99
Brandin Bryant #93
DJ Dale #61
Eli Ankou #51
Cortez Broughton #94

LB:
Matt Milano #58
Terrel Bernard #43
Dorian Williams #42
A.J. Klein #54
Tyrel Dodson #53
Tyler Matakevitch #44
Baylon Spector #54
Travin Howard #45

CB:
Tre'Davious White #27
Kaiir Elam #24
Dane Jackson #39
Taron Johnson #7
Christian Benford #47
Siran Neal #33
Cam Lewis #39
Alex Austin #29
Ja'Marcus Ingram #46
Kyler McMichael #31

S:
Jordan Poyer #21
Micah Hyde #23
Taylor Rapp #20
Damar Hamlin #3
Dean Marlowe #31
Zayne Anderson #38
Jared Mayden #36

ST:
Tyler Bass #2
Sam Martin #8
Reid Ferguson #69

A LOT of really good camp battles this year IMO not only for a few starting spots but the end of roster battle should prove heated as well.

QB: Pretty much what you see will be what you get. Unless Kyle Allen falls on his face he's the back up. Bills COULD keep Barkley on active roster due to new emergency QB rule but I don't see it.

RB: I would say Cook is the only "lock" in this room with Hines, Harris and Murray close to it. Maybe one of the young backs surprises and makes it interesting...but I feel like they are playing for a PS spot.

WR: Diggs and Davis are locked. Sherfield seems to have made an early impression on Josh based on yesterday's presser. Shakir seems safe and Harty likely makes it. Shorter seems to have an inside track to a spot. That's 6 with the rest of the guys battling for PS or a possible 7th WR spot.

TE: Obviously Knox and Kincaid are locked. Morris has a good shot to make it or a PS spot. Don't see the others as more than camp bodies...but they may push Morris.

OL: Room looks MUCH deeper than last year. Lots of ways this could go. Dawkins, Torrence, McGovern and Brown seem to be locks. Morse as well, however if Torrence AND Edwards show up well...could it push the Bills to slide Bates to Center, trade Morse and save about $10M off the cap? Most likely not, however the room is deep with guys The Bills like. Doyle, Ike, Q...I expect one of these guys traded late in the preseason for a late round pick. Beane LOVES to do that if he can.

DE: Von and Groot are locked...but Von could possibly start on the PUP giving the Bills an extra spot. I see it as AJE, Basham, Lawson and Shane Ray competing for 2 spots maybe 3. 

DT: Oliver, Ford and Jones are likely in. Settle and Phillips may be challenged by Bryant or Ankou. 

LB: THE competition of this preseason IMO. Any one of about 5 guys may step up and ***** that MLB spot. Milano and Williams are the only guaranteed guys that make the roster with Dodson maybe the next most likely.

CB: White, Elam, Jackson, Johnson and Benford all should make the cut. Neal is likely as well due to ST play. Yes, the Bills will keep some ST players. Every team needs em. 

S: Suddenly a deep room filled with competition. Poyer and Hyde-locks. Rapp very likely is in. 2 wild cards here are- Hamlin and his health and if he plays the way he did or plays timid. And Zayne Anderson. Very solid STer that could push someone like Neal for his roster spot potentially.

The ST unit remains intact.

All in all I have 35 guys as "roster locks" and another 12-14 as "almost locks". We are going to be letting some good football players hit waivers for sure. Deep rosters have that issue. Hopefully we land a bunch back on our PS.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Snappysnackcakes said:

Edmunds is switching to weak side in Chicago. He’s not a MLB. We key-holed him at Mike. I’m curious to see what he does at Will because that’s his (more) natural fit. He’s terrible at reads and can be looked off by 4th string QBs over the middle. He’s also not a leader, which is almost a demand as a NFL MLB. I know I will not miss him as he has been the single most divisive player on the team that I can recall. Nobody ever says “The most popular guy on the team is the backup Mike…”, right? Well this guy, through his frustrating waste of god-given talent, had me on the ropes, clamoring for Tyrel freakin Dodson to come in and fill the right gap. 

Is that a fact he is switching or is that your forecast/speculation.

17 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Did the Bills have a 2nd punter and kicker in for training camp last year…just to keep Martin and Bass from wearing out ?

Yes they had two punters, we let Haack go and kept Araiza then about three days later the feces hit the fan on the Punt God but Haack was already gone.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Yes they had two punters, we let Haack go and kept Araiza then about three days later the feces hit the fan on the Punt God but Haack was already gone.

I wonder if at some point they plan on bringing a 2nd kicker and punter in for camp this year. 

11 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Harty has potential when healthy… he can’t stay healthy. Sheffield is a scrub/JAG. Surprised so many are so high on him. 

Sherfield can play ST and contribute as a WR which is more than we can say of most of the WRs we had last year as seems like we had guys who could play WR but not ST or just play ST and not WR. Is he a top end guy? No, but he's a more complete player than we've had recently when came to 4th or 5th on the depth chart which to me a plus. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

A couple of weeks ago, I spent some time with a friend of mine that works in the NFL (not the Bills).  He had some interesting takes on some of the Bills recent personnel moves.  He believes McGovern was a steal and will prove to be a solid player for the Bills.  He also could not believe that Torrence fell to the Bills in round two.  He compared him to Ruben Brown.  He also liked the addition of Sherfield, Harty, and Shorter.  Overall, he thought Beane had done an excellent job and that the team was better than the 2022 version.  He believes that Hyde and a healthy White are the real difference makers that allow the Bills to do much of what makes their defense very good.

He talked a little bit about the AFC East.  According to him, the JESTS are much over rated by a New York driven sports media that is desperate for some degree of relevance.  He believes that Rodgers is pretty much at the end and they gave up way too much for him for what may turn out to be a one year shot.  He thinks Miami will be decent but will continue to struggle with road games.  He's not convinced that Tua can remain healthy enough to carry the team for multiple seasons.  All he said about NE was that they are a joke.

He also said that Frazier was shown the door and that some in the Bills front office wanted him gone after the 13 seconds in KC.

After our talk, I felt better about some of the things that Beane had done.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

A couple of weeks ago, I spent some time with a friend of mine that works in the NFL (not the Bills).  He had some interesting takes on some of the Bills recent personnel moves.  He believes McGovern was a steal and will prove to be a solid player for the Bills.  He also could not believe that Torrence fell to the Bills in round two.  He compared him to Ruben Brown.  He also liked the addition of Sherfield, Harty, and Shorter.  Overall, he thought Beane had done an excellent job and that the team was better than the 2022 version.  He believes that Hyde and a healthy White are the real difference makers that allow the Bills to do much of what makes their defense very good.

He talked a little bit about the AFC East.  According to him, the JESTS are much over rated by a New York driven sports media that is desperate for some degree of relevance.  He believes that Rodgers is pretty much at the end and they gave up way too much for him for what may turn out to be a one year shot.  He thinks Miami will be decent but will continue to struggle with road games.  He's not convinced that Tua can remain healthy enough to carry the team for multiple seasons.  All he said about NE was that they are a joke.

He also said that Frazier was shown the door and that some in the Bills front office wanted him gone after the 13 seconds in KC.

After our talk, I felt better about some of the things that Beane had done.

Thansk for sharing, that's great information!

My biggest concerns from 2021 and 2022 have been addressed, and hopefully pan out:

1. Interior OL

2. Def playcalling/style

3. Lack of middle field weapons/YAC guys

4. Def line

And agree about our division, I think it will be weaker than much of the media is predicting.  Similar to the Afc west last season.  

Spot on about Hyde and Tre.  I'm also bullish on our young DEs taking a big step forward.

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

The LB corps  looks so weak outside Milano. It's the only huge question mark for me.

Depends on how McDermott uses them. Won't necessarily look the same after Edmunds left.

1 hour ago, MasterStrategist said:

Thansk for sharing, that's great information!

My biggest concerns from 2021 and 2022 have been addressed, and hopefully pan out:

1. Interior OL

2. Def playcalling/style

3. Lack of middle field weapons/YAC guys

4. Def line

And agree about our division, I think it will be weaker than much of the media is predicting.  Similar to the Afc west last season.  

Spot on about Hyde and Tre.  I'm also bullish on our young DEs taking a big step forward.

I'm concerned about how they fill in Miller's spot,if only temporarily. 

4 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

A LOT of really good camp battles this year IMO not only for a few starting spots but the end of roster battle should prove heated as well.

QB: Pretty much what you see will be what you get. Unless Kyle Allen falls on his face he's the back up. Bills COULD keep Barkley on active roster due to new emergency QB rule but I don't see it.

RB: I would say Cook is the only "lock" in this room with Hines, Harris and Murray close to it. Maybe one of the young backs surprises and makes it interesting...but I feel like they are playing for a PS spot.

WR: Diggs and Davis are locked. Sherfield seems to have made an early impression on Josh based on yesterday's presser. Shakir seems safe and Harty likely makes it. Shorter seems to have an inside track to a spot. That's 6 with the rest of the guys battling for PS or a possible 7th WR spot.

TE: Obviously Knox and Kincaid are locked. Morris has a good shot to make it or a PS spot. Don't see the others as more than camp bodies...but they may push Morris.

OL: Room looks MUCH deeper than last year. Lots of ways this could go. Dawkins, Torrence, McGovern and Brown seem to be locks. Morse as well, however if Torrence AND Edwards show up well...could it push the Bills to slide Bates to Center, trade Morse and save about $10M off the cap? Most likely not, however the room is deep with guys The Bills like. Doyle, Ike, Q...I expect one of these guys traded late in the preseason for a late round pick. Beane LOVES to do that if he can.

DE: Von and Groot are locked...but Von could possibly start on the PUP giving the Bills an extra spot. I see it as AJE, Basham, Lawson and Shane Ray competing for 2 spots maybe 3. 

DT: Oliver, Ford and Jones are likely in. Settle and Phillips may be challenged by Bryant or Ankou. 

LB: THE competition of this preseason IMO. Any one of about 5 guys may step up and ***** that MLB spot. Milano and Williams are the only guaranteed guys that make the roster with Dodson maybe the next most likely.

CB: White, Elam, Jackson, Johnson and Benford all should make the cut. Neal is likely as well due to ST play. Yes, the Bills will keep some ST players. Every team needs em. 

S: Suddenly a deep room filled with competition. Poyer and Hyde-locks. Rapp very likely is in. 2 wild cards here are- Hamlin and his health and if he plays the way he did or plays timid. And Zayne Anderson. Very solid STer that could push someone like Neal for his roster spot potentially.

The ST unit remains intact.

All in all I have 35 guys as "roster locks" and another 12-14 as "almost locks". We are going to be letting some good football players hit waivers for sure. Deep rosters have that issue. Hopefully we land a bunch back on our PS.

Trading Morse does NOT save 10 million,even if you COULD convince another team to trade.  His salary is closer to 6,and the dead cap for him would be 8 -something. He and Josh have several years together  and Morse played well last year. He isnt going anywhere. 

6 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

WR looks pretty questionable… banking on some “what ifs” to come through…. Guess I’m in the minority but I’m not worried whatsoever about LB.

To an extent that is true at WR but I feel a hell of a lot better about it than I did this time last year when we were one injury away (and it happened in week 2) from Jake Kumerow starting actual NFL football games as an outside receiver. That is the currently unsigned Jake Kumerow. Harty and Sherfield would still be downgrades if they were starting outside but they are at least bona fide NFL depth receivers. Kumerow wasn't even really that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Are all of those older veteran defensive ends still available on the market?

They are. But we don't have the money. Beane said he tried to get a DE in here post Draft but couldn't do it. Reportedly we offered an incentive laden deal to Yannick Ngakoue and he passed on it. I'm sure he offered the same deal to others as well.

When that didn't happen, he first put in a claim for Kameron Cline. Then he gave Shane Ray a tryout and signed him after he liked what he saw. After that and bringing back Shaq Lawson previously in the Offseason, I don't expect any other moves. We have 9 DE's on the roster already. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

They are. But we don't have the money. Beane said he tried to get a DE in here post Draft but couldn't do it. Reportedly we offered an incentive laden deal to Yannick Ngakoue and he passed on it. I'm sure he offered the same deal to others as well.

When that didn't happen, he first put in a claim for Kameron Cline. Then he gave Shane Ray a tryout and signed him after he liked what he saw. After that and bringing back Shaq Lawson previously in the Offseason, I don't expect any other moves. We have 9 DE's on the roster already. 

No more moves before camp. I wouldn't be stunned if we added one of those vets on the eve of camp. 

44 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

💯

DE is a luxury at this point.   When we have three young, highly drafted players and a very high priced FA...fans need to grasp that's a premium investment.  Yes, maybe whiffed on Aje and Boogie some, but they still have some potential and young. And we don't have the $$$s, as you said, to keep spending.

Like you mentioned, we filled a potential "Von missed time" with some low cost moves.  

Not unheard for 3rd and 4th year players to make a significant leap forward at DE.  On top of this, I have less concern bc I have faith Sean will be more aggressive with blitzing/simulated sugar A-gap looks/nickle blitzes.   

A healthy Tre and Hyde, allow us to bring more pressure/simulated looks.  If they're both back to form, we are in good shape in general.  Elam/Benford should take a step forward too, if one of them develops into a high-end starter then that's even more coverage flexibility (less need for high priced DEs)

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Is that a fact he is switching or is that your forecast/speculation.

https://theathletic.com/4305440/2023/03/13/bears-tremaine-edwards-free-agency-fit/?amp=1

Athletic article.

Just now, Snappysnackcakes said:

I wouldn’t speculate that out to everyone. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Harty has potential when healthy… he can’t stay healthy. Sheffield is a scrub/JAG. Surprised so many are so high on him. 

I can see if Kincaid develops quickly enough running a bunch of 12 personnel, with the wrinkle that Kincaid becomes a "Big" slot mismatch, and many of the Slot corners in the league are smallish.  Apparently he played a lot in the slot in college.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.