The dumbest rule in the NFL: New rule change

Dablitzkrieg

2 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Fair enough but when I read coffin and corner I think of punts that roll out of bounds vs uncatchable. 

Yeah, I think a lot of people think of a punt that hits inbound and goes out at the 1 or 2 Yd line. I do too. Teams will be coming up with ways to use this to their best advantage for sure. Wonder if we'll see the flat line kickoff a lot this year.

On 5/23/2023 at 11:50 AM, T&C said:

This is where the coffin corner kick comes into play...

I don't think so.  Coffin corner kicks are punts that go out of bounds deep in the receiving team's territory.  Do that on a kickoff, and the ball comes out to the 40.  Teams could try to make more use of a squib kick.  I don't think you can fair catch a ball that has hit the ground.   

Can we now move the $10M on special teamers to D Hopkins? Never got the obsession with STers when it has been clear the NFL is making changes that drastically decrease the value of ST play. Pay your kickers and no one else matters. Draft and sign young DB and LB that can be used on ST's that have less importance. Maybe we develop them from ST players to contributors rather than guys that play only ST and will never play anything else. 

• Disagree 1

47 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yep… the late rounders should be the special teams demons at this point… not the Sirian Neal’s, Cam Lewis’s, and Tyler Matalevich’s who are overpaid to strictly play special teams and look mostly lost when they have to actually play their respective positions… hell, even Hynes is way overpaid.

100% that money would be better served for another quality starter on offense or defense.

Those are my thoughts exactly. With our RB additions, you could argue Hines has minimal value on this team. Cutting Hines, Neal, Lewis and Mata would give us $8M+ and that could pay for a pretty good player - Hopkins or similar level. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/05/20/opposition-increases-to-new-fair-catch-rule/

The next evolution in the kickoff rule was supposed to be the adoption of the NCAA-style rule that results in a fair catch inside the 25 being placed at the 25. That apparently won’t be happening.

As recently explained by Albert Breer of SI.com, special-teams players and coaches have accelerated the opposition to the rule.

One concern with the rule is that it will spark more squib kicks inside the 25, which couldn’t be fair caught and would have to be returned. That could create more, not less, chaos on special teams.

IF the new rule was utilized it would make punters who are corner coffin kickers and good squib kickers even more valuable.  Moorman was one of them.

5 hours ago, ngbills said:

Those are my thoughts exactly. With our RB additions, you could argue Hines has minimal value on this team. Cutting Hines, Neal, Lewis and Mata would give us $8M+ and that could pay for a pretty good player - Hopkins or similar level. 

An interesting strategy would be for Hines to return kickoffs even deep in the end zone if you load up with special team aces in the return game.  Especially if other teams prioritize Special Teams less.

13 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

An interesting strategy would be for Hines to return kickoffs even deep in the end zone if you load up with special team aces in the return game.  Especially if other teams prioritize Special Teams less.

The term special team ace is overrated. These are nfl players. One guy may be slightly better but the difference is not huge. It’s more preparation than players. So if your team practices special teams more than others maybe you outperform, rather than signing better players. 

Overall though special teams play has drastically been marginalized. It’s becoming less and less important. Focusing on special teams would be like saying we know it’s a passing league but we are gonna sign every good run blocking OL, WR and TE and run the ball since everyone else is focused on the passing game. How would that work out? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.