The dumbest rule in the NFL: New rule change

Dablitzkrieg

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

There are only three constants in the universe, hydrogen, stupidity, and change for the worse…, 

it appears Theweatherman doesn’t like humor, i guess he needs to temper his expectations…, lol,

You know, It is only funny when both sides are laughing.... now your just acting like a big bully. enough is enough. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Right, but do you think player 43-53 are ever really going to see the field for even a minute unless catastrophic injuries.  At least you can give guys an opportunity to shine there and then try and earn their way into a real position later.

I guess that s why you have coaches that can see players in practice and learn which players got plays down the way the coaches want them executed.  Good coaching staffs will get their young guys snaps in real games to get them experience.

• Agree 1

Just now, PrimeTime101 said:

nope. nope. that is how you get fumbles maybe, but that is also how you give up TD's because your kickoff team does not have the time to set up. Much like a line drive punt. 

from what i read, the coaches are against it and said it will result in more squib kicks which is more dangerous, therefore the rule is dumb?

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

from what i read, the coaches are against it and said it will result in more squib kicks which is more dangerous, therefore the rule is dumb?

never said the rule was not dumb, I just doubt there are more squibs. Right away your more likely to give up to many yards on a squib. 

Edited by PrimeTime101
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PrimeTime101 said:

never said the rule was not done, I just doubt there are more squibs. Right away your more likely to give up to many yards on a squib. 

I dont know, but i did read that was a major point ST coaches were trying to make (if this is a "safety" related rule change)

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/05/23/nfl-approves-putting-ball-on-25-yard-line-following-fair-catches-on-kickoffs/

Special teams coordinators around the league had a different view of the impact of the rule change, however, and came out against it recently. In addition to seeing it as a possible step toward eliminating kickoffs entirely, there has been discussion that the rule change could encourage squib kicks and other attempts to force teams to field kickoffs and negate potential increases in safety in the process.

Edited by TBBills Fan

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

There are only three constants in the universe, hydrogen, stupidity, and change for the worse…, 

it appears Theweatherman doesn’t like humor, i guess he needs to temper his expectations…, lol,

Or I’m a weatherman that knows hydrogen isn’t a constant.  You verified the second constant mentioned 😂 

• Haha (+1) 3

42 minutes ago, nucci said:

it's a somethingburger. Most every start after a kick will be 25. No more returns. And what exactly is a nothing burger?

meh. like 40% get returned now - and most of those wind up around the 25 anyway. whoop. just get rid of it already 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

So this means a player can just catch a kickoff at the 3 yard line, signal fair catch and it comes to the 25?

Yup...the infamous 13 second game would've been one of the last opportunities to take advantage of a short high pooch. Now that's off the table. Majority of kicks are out of the endzone so just do away with kickoffs altogether. 

50 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

We all remember the infamous fair catch in the endzone during 2019 Playoff Game in Houston.

You mean the fumble???

So what if you do faircatch a short kick at the 35yd line? Does it go to the spot or back to the 25yd line? 

I would not mind if they took KOs out of the game entirely.  Punts make sense, but there's a certain logic to starting every new field position battle after a score at the same starting point.  

I don't like the fact that this rule change is going to turn a lot of returns into "surprises."  That's unaesthetic but it seems to me that it also makes returns more dangerous than they were before. 

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

The difference is that now a fair caught kick off anywhere inside the 25 yard line comes out to the 25. Same as in FBS. 

Personally, I don't see much of an issue myself. I mean considering how a lot of the times KO's are through the EZ or fair caught in the EZ anyways. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Or I’m a weatherman that knows hydrogen isn’t a constant.  You verified the second constant mentioned 😂 

A Fair exchange is no robbery

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

This is actually a great idea in general.  Either a 5 yard penalty for delay of game or 15 yard penalty for being wrong on a challenge

Speaking of Delay of Game...

Can we PLEASE do something about the play clock hitting 0 and the lack of consistency on when an officiating crew actually calls a penalty?

Sometimes it is immediate. Other times 2-3 full seconds after the clock hits 0 and no flag 

This is currently the most annoying rule issue in the NFL.

Have a buzzer go off in the stadium immediately upon the play clock hitting 0. Something. Anything!!! 

This is the easiest to fix - do what the NBA does and when the play clock (NBA shot clock) gets to 5 go to showing tenths of a second. Can't get any clearer than that. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.