The dumbest rule in the NFL: New rule change

Dablitzkrieg

4 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

There are only three constants in the universe, hydrogen, stupidity, and change for the worse…, 

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

So... Can you fair catch an onside kick?

Unless it hits the ground first, that negates a fair catch. So if you kick it rolling along the ground or immediately bouncing, no. 

3 minutes ago, T&C said:

This is where the coffin corner kick comes into play...

It applies to kickoffs, if you kickoff out of bounds it goes to the 40. It doesn't say anything about fair caught punts going to the 25.

14 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Might as well do away with kickoffs and start at the 25. They want to get rid of the play anyway.

yep

13 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

Yes but now kicks caught inside 25 go to 25

Edited by nucci

Just now, Limeaid said:

Very stupid rule change.

Waiting for a team to get used to a fair catch and then returner fakes a fair catch and takes it for a touchdown.

Faking a fair catch is a penalty. Pretending you aren't going to catch the ball isn't, but it remains risky.

The primary value of special teams is on punts and punt coverage, Nyhiem Hines amazing day not withstanding

1 minute ago, nucci said:

yep

No, only kicks inside the 25

You can fair catch kickoffs already, that's not new. Teams do it on mortar kicks frequently.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, That's No Moon said:

Yes, I didn't understand that to be the person's question though

Yeah, i think I screwed it up. I tried to correct it

The Bills like to kick short and to the corner to pin teams inside 20. No more of that

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, nucci said:

Yeah, i think I screwed it up. I tried to correct it

The Bills like to kick short and to the corner to pin teams inside 20. No more of that

They'll probably keep doing it. Give teams the risk/reward choice. Plus on windy/wet days you still need to catch the ball.

Also, someone is going to mistakenly wave a fair catch and let the ball bounce, thinking it's like a punt.

• Like (+1) 3

Best reply to that tweet:

The facade of player safety continues to make the game less enjoyable. “We want to lessen the the collisions on your body so we’re gonna ruin this play but add games to the schedule and another team to the playoffs. You’re welcome.”

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

I never knew that was even possible until I was watching my Cowboys (Oklahoma State) play Texas Tech this year. Tech scored on their opening drive (up 7-0) and kicked an onside kick on the kickoff. OSU player waved his arm and while Tech recovered, it was a penalty on the Red Raiders because of the fair catch rule. 

Brilliant play by the kid. Got the ball to start the drive inside the Tech 35 yard line. 

• Like (+1) 5

6 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

I never knew that was even possible until I was watching my Cowboys (Oklahoma State) play Texas Tech this year. Tech scored on their opening drive (up 7-0) and kicked an onside kick on the kickoff. OSU player waved his arm and while Tech recovered, it was a penalty on the Red Raiders because of the fair catch rule. 

Brilliant play by the kid. Got the ball to start the drive inside the Tech 35 yard line. 

The bills got screwed on a similar play awhile back in the Bobby April days. I think it was against the Vikings, we kicked it high and short into the corner and they ruled one of the up man called for a fair catch so even though it worked out where the Bills recovered, the Vikes got the ball.

The guy did put his arm in the air, but he didnt really wave it or anything, I remember thinking it was a bad call.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.