NFL owners OK flexing of Thursday night games

51 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

why would this change be good for teams or fans? SURPRISE!

To Players: Surprise! Short rest this week!

To Season Tix Fans: Surprise! Guess you cant go cause your boss sucks

To Indiv Tix Holders Outta State: Surprise! Looks like you wasted flight money and cant go!

To 95% of fans who watch on TV: Surprise! You get to watch a better football game than the crap we had scheduled.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

nah. in most cases with the amount of whining that takes place on this board I’d normally agree with you but this is a bad change. It benefits nobody except the league and its bottom line. It potentially inconveniences fans and shifts more health risks to players. It’s not a good move.

It benefits me, as I would like to see better games on TNF. 😉

• Haha (+1) 1

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Mark Cuban was right. The NFL is Icarus.

The brazen, insatiable greed of the owners will continue to chip away at the quality and integrity of the game, little by little, until the leagues' waxen wings turn ashen. 

• Agree 3

16 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

🤮

Wish Terry was on the other side, even though it wouldn't make a difference. Especially since Buf has a good chance to be flexed

But really the Bengals are the only team consistently good team that voted NO

The Bengals vote no on nearly everything

11 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

nah. in most cases with the amount of whining that takes place on this board I’d normally agree with you but this is a bad change. It benefits nobody except the league and its bottom line. It potentially inconveniences fans and shifts more health risks to players. It’s not a good move.

Of course it only benefits the league.  Are we really going to pretend that things like "player safety" and "what the fans want" matter?  Always follow the $$

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

NFL owners have approved flexing for "Thursday Night Football" starting this season during Weeks 13 through 17.

The change passed by a 24-8 vote, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter, with the New York Giants, New York Jets, Green Bay Packers, Chicago Bears, Las Vegas Raiders, Detroit Lions, Cincinnati Bengals and Pittsburgh Steelers voting against it.

Why did Pegula vote for this???  "Its all bout the fans " my ass

It is about the fans but not those who buy tickets.

I think the year without fans most games changed attitude of some owners about fans in stands.

17 hours ago, haroldwaide said:

They have to give a four week notice.  Plenty of time to adjust travel plans.

Many people buy tickets months ahead of time on non-refundable tickets.

Also not everyone can just take a weekday off and if you are coming from a distance two weekdays off.

There are employers who require multiple week notice for time off. TNF Fever is not a valid medical excuse.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It does benefit the tv viewer as you're more likely to get a better/more meaningful game.  However, I don't think that positive outweighs the negatives you laid out.

It may benefit tv view who pay for Amazon but it takes away game from fans who would be able to watch game on weekend and not pay Amazon.

Change was made to benefit Amazon and likely was agreed in principle when Amazon signed contract. 

2 hours ago, MJS said:

To 95% of fans who watch on TV: Surprise! You get to watch a better football game than the crap we had scheduled.

Not all 95% of fans have Amazon.  You are exaggerating to try to strengthen you point which is a sign of a weak argument.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

NFL owners have approved flexing for "Thursday Night Football" starting this season during Weeks 13 through 17.

The change passed by a 24-8 vote, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter, with the New York Giants, New York Jets, Green Bay Packers, Chicago Bears, Las Vegas Raiders, Detroit Lions, Cincinnati Bengals and Pittsburgh Steelers voting against it.

Why did Pegula vote for this???  "Its all bout the fans " my ass

If you guys were listening to WGR this morning, this is only for this year and Sal broke it down game by game.  It won’t affect us at all.

Week 13- Bye

Weeks 14 and 15 - Nationally televised 4:20 pm games so CBS and Fox can protect these games as it’s the Chiefs and Cowboys.

Week 16- Primetime with the Chargers so not a switchable game at 8:20.

Literally the only switchable game is against the Cheatriots in week 17 which is at 1 pm.

The likelihood of the Cheats being relevant with that dumpster fire by week 17 is highly unlikely.  All three AFCE opponents my guess is going to beat them like a punching bag all season and couldn’t happen to a better coach.  Maybe we can get our fantasy and another 7-10 to 8-9 season existing in mediocrity, but not high enough to even get a real franchise QB.

A boy can dream.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, haroldwaide said:

They have to give a four week notice.  Plenty of time to adjust travel plans.

If you’re a fan who has tickets…and is retired, maybe. There’s a lot of planning that goes on around nfl games for fans from out of town. Vacation time from work, AirBnB, hotel reservations, car rental, etc. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Dopey said:

If you’re a fan who has tickets…and is retired, maybe. There’s a lot of planning that goes on around nfl games for fans from out of town. Vacation time from work, AirBnB, hotel reservations, car rental, etc. 

Then the answer is…don’t go to late season away games.  

1 hour ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Of course it only benefits the league.  Are we really going to pretend that things like "player safety" and "what the fans want" matter?  Always follow the $$

and benefits the players big time.  Amazon pays $1B per year for Thursdays.  That money finds its way more or less directly into the salary cap , which goes straight to the players, who are happy to bear a bit of injury risk to make more $$.   TV Fans get another day of prime time football every week.   Amazon has another goodie to give away to their zillions of happy Prime customers (Prime rocks, BTW) .   A small minority of stadium goers and non Prime customers are somewhat put out, but they are dwarfed by those that benefit.  Pretty straightforward.   Players happy, vast majority of fans happy, what's not to like. 

They call this a regional franchise, people make plans from all over the country for a Sunday game. Now it gets moved to Thursday Night , thats my issue. It's not all about the fans as Roger would say its about the $$

Far more fans watch on TV than attend the games. No one wants to watch a 12-9 Bears vs Texans game on TNF. He’s not wrong. 

11 hours ago, Fleezoid said:

They can have the most competitive game of the week on every Thursday night, and I'm still not paying for Prime.  

I truly get the too many streaming options thing. I'm down to 1, but Amazon is a silly one to complain about. Nobodies paying them for the streaming, that's just a perk, it's easily the most convenient service of all time 🤷‍♂️ that also happens to give me the sole 4k game experience of every week.

Even the SB isn't in 4k lol

9 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I truly get the too many streaming options thing. I'm down to 1, but Amazon is a silly one to complain about. Nobodies paying them for the streaming, that's just a perk, it's easily the most convenient service of all time 🤷‍♂️ that also happens to give me the sole 4k game experience of every week.

Even the SB isn't in 4k lol

It's really not complaining, it's a choice. But call it what you will. Bottom line, Amazon has the Thursday games to make money. Some folks already have Prime. So the Thursday games are a perk.  I don't. But the NFL is telling me if I want to watch those games I have to pay for it. Screw that. Why doesn't the NFL start charging everyone $3.50 for every game they watch? Same dam thing.

Thursday night viewership is down 46%. The NFL claims it's the competitiveness of the games. Perhaps that's part of it. But IMO it's a small part. I'm guessing there's a lot of people like me that won't get a streaming service to watch 4 games a month. But the NFL says it's viewership so they have to fix it with a ridiculous flex plan. 

With all that said, it certainly does look like I'm complaining. However, I'm completely OK with not watching Thursday football. Except for the Bills. If they're on, I just go to the bar. 

On 5/23/2023 at 9:02 AM, Gary Marangi said:

Should play games on Friday instead of Thursdays

Agree.  Wondering if the NFL is concerned about losing fans due to a lot of Friday night H.S. football?   

5 hours ago, Fleezoid said:

It's really not complaining, it's a choice. But call it what you will. Bottom line, Amazon has the Thursday games to make money. Some folks already have Prime. So the Thursday games are a perk.  I don't. But the NFL is telling me if I want to watch those games I have to pay for it. Screw that. Why doesn't the NFL start charging everyone $3.50 for every game they watch? Same dam thing.

I have Amazon Prime and I'd not call it a perk when prices were raised.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.