NFL owners OK flexing of Thursday night games

5 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

NFL owners have approved flexing for "Thursday Night Football" starting this season during Weeks 13 through 17.

The change passed by a 24-8 vote, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter, with the New York Giants, New York Jets, Green Bay Packers, Chicago Bears, Las Vegas Raiders, Detroit Lions, Cincinnati Bengals and Pittsburgh Steelers voting against it.

Why did Pegula vote for this???  "Its all bout the fans " my ass

The fans (especially out of town fans) potentially get screwed yes but the bigger issue is making the players play more of these short weeks. It’s a wack change just to appease Amazon and it sucks.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

They call this a regional franchise, people make plans from all over the country for a Sunday game. Now it gets moved to Thursday Night , thats my issue. It's not all about the fans as Roger would say its about the $$

You'll be fine.  Get over it

• Eyeroll 1

5 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

You'll be fine.  Get over it

nah. in most cases with the amount of whining that takes place on this board I’d normally agree with you but this is a bad change. It benefits nobody except the league and its bottom line. It potentially inconveniences fans and shifts more health risks to players. It’s not a good move.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

nah. in most cases with the amount of whining that takes place on this board I’d normally agree with you but this is a bad change. It benefits nobody except the league and its bottom line. It potentially inconveniences fans and shifts more health risks to players. It’s not a good move.

It does benefit the tv viewer as you're more likely to get a better/more meaningful game.  However, I don't think that positive outweighs the negatives you laid out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

It does benefit the tv viewer as you're more likely to get a better/more meaningful game.  However, I don't think that positive outweighs the negatives you laid out.

more interesting thursday games is the only benefit to the generic fan watching on tv. But they’re not doing this for our benefit. It’s for Amazon.

Edited by JoPoy88

1 minute ago, JoPoy88 said:

more interesting thursday games is the only benefit to the generic fan watching on tv. But they’re not doing this for our benefit. It’s for Amazon.

No argument from me but every move the NFL has made since its inception is motivated by maximizing profit.  However, it's hard to argue it doesn't have a trickle down effect to the consumers given its popularity.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

No argument from me but every move the NFL has made since its inception is motivated by maximizing profit.  However, it's hard to argue it doesn't have a trickle down effect to the consumers given its popularity.

for sure agreed. I just think it’s funny that the league and its competition committee has been proposing and implementing all these unpopular rule changes in recent years (like the kickoff fair catch rule that everyone hates) in the name of player safety when what players want (and have said) most is more rest, no schedule expansion and NO more short weeks. 

• Agree 1

As a season ticket holder, not a fan of this.  It is a money grab for the NFL to placate Amazon and provide them with good games.  

Screw the fans.  I’m sure season ticket holders that can’t make the game will have to sell their tickets.  

I guess it’s a good thing for Buffalo now that we have a good team that is worth being flexed.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, haroldwaide said:

They have to give a four week notice.  Plenty of time to adjust travel plans.

They give you time but they dont give you the time off of work if that is an issue for you. They dont give you delta travel costs if there are some.   I understand what they are doing and I also understand why fans dont like it.  Travel costs typically go up a month out and you can have less options.

Edited by Matt_In_NH
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Mr Info said:

Bills: 

Week 13 bye

Week 14 Chiefs, Sun

Week 15 Cowboys, Sun

Week 16 Chargers, Sat

Week 17 Pats, Sun

No way NFL is flexing Week 15 for Bills with a game on Sat.

Bills will not be flexed weeks 13, 15 & 16. That leaves possibly weeks 14 & 17. But Pats suck so only week 14 may be in play but CBS may select that game so this may not impact the Bills at all.

Pretty sure week 14 and 15 are protected by CBS and FOX.   Week 16 is Peacock, the only option here is week 17 and I don't see that happening today but there is a chance.

10 hours ago, haroldwaide said:

They have to give a four week notice.  Plenty of time to adjust travel plans.

No, that's not right.  People get airline tickets months in advance to get good deals, and often those tickets are nonrefundable, or at least there's a large change fee involved.  In fact there are probably people out there who already have plans and tickets in hand for the upcoming season.  

I think the league should have the crappy teams playing on TNF football, which hardly anyone watches anyway and which screws up teams' weekly routines.  Teams should have to earn their way out of the TNF hell-hole by winning, to be rewarded with playing more games on Sunday or MNF.

13 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Flexing for crappy TNF makes sense. Either get rid of TNF altogether ( won’t happen) or have flexing so we don’t see DEN vs AZ or whatever. 

Agree.  Make TNF or any prime time night game decent or don't do it at all. 

• Like (+1) 1

It's just terrible for the fans that have tickets.  So many people plan well in advance to attend certain NFL games in a specific city at a specific day/time.  Even with 28 days, it's tough to just flip travel plans, plane/hotel, etc..  I'm not a fan of it.  I get flexing a Sunday game to Sunday night or vice versa, but different days should be off limits.

• Agree 2

Bills probably won't be affected by this at all...

Bye week 13 followed by two National games of the week at 4:25 on Fox and CBS which they will protect obviously, and then a Saturday night game against the Chargers which is ineligible.

Only week 17 could be in play with Bills against Patriots but I doubt that will be the best game on the schedule that week and if it is, CBS will likely protect it.

14 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Flexing for crappy TNF makes sense. Either get rid of TNF altogether ( won’t happen) or have flexing so we don’t see DEN vs AZ or whatever. 

TNF is a massive ratings hit every season, why would they get rid of it?  Viewers love it. 

4 hours ago, MJS said:

What's the issue?

why would this change be good for teams or fans? SURPRISE!

To Players: Surprise! Short rest this week!

To Season Tix Fans: Surprise! Guess you cant go cause your boss sucks

To Indiv Tix Holders Outta State: Surprise! Looks like you wasted flight money and cant go!

• Like (+1) 2

Thursday night has problems that have nothing to with flexing. (MNF thrived for decades without it.) First, it’s on a ‘channel’ that many find to be complicated to access. Second, the scheduled games have been of suspect importance even before the season started. Finally, it’s on a night of the week that many are just too busy to devote the time to outside of the traditional football weekend. They can’t fix one or three but the second factor, the game lineup, could be fixed without flexing. It seems like Thursday has typically gotten the NFL’s cast off games. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.