NFL owners OK flexing of Thursday night games

NFL owners have approved flexing for "Thursday Night Football" starting this season during Weeks 13 through 17.

The change passed by a 24-8 vote, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter, with the New York Giants, New York Jets, Green Bay Packers, Chicago Bears, Las Vegas Raiders, Detroit Lions, Cincinnati Bengals and Pittsburgh Steelers voting against it.

Why did Pegula vote for this???  "Its all bout the fans " my ass

Edited by Mike in Horseheads
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

NFL owners have approved flexing for "Thursday Night Football" starting this season during Weeks 13 through 17.

The change passed by a 24-8 vote, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter, with the New York Giants, New York Jets, Green Bay Packers, Chicago Bears, Las Vegas Raiders, Detroit Lions, Cincinnati Bengals and Pittsburgh Steelers voting against it.

Why didn't Pegula vote for this???  "Its all bout the fans " my ass

I am confused by your post. Pegula did vote for the change, didn't he?

Edited by No_Matter_What
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

🤮

Wish Terry was on the other side, even though it wouldn't make a difference. Especially since Buf has a good chance to be flexed

But really the Bengals are the only team consistently good team that voted NO

Yay....just what I want the Bills to have late in the season...short rest.

43 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Why did Pegula vote for this???  "Its all bout the fans " my ass

He didnt become a billionaire listening to the likes of us that's for sure.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Bills: 

Week 13 bye

Week 14 Chiefs, Sun

Week 15 Cowboys, Sun

Week 16 Chargers, Sat

Week 17 Pats, Sun

No way NFL is flexing Week 15 for Bills with a game on Sat.

Bills will not be flexed weeks 13, 15 & 16. That leaves possibly weeks 14 & 17. But Pats suck so only week 14 may be in play but CBS may select that game so this may not impact the Bills at all.

54 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

🤮

Wish Terry was on the other side, even though it wouldn't make a difference. Especially since Buf has a good chance to be flexed

But really the Bengals are the only team consistently good team that voted NO

Bengals vote no for everything. Ralph was the same way 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

They call this a regional franchise, people make plans from all over the country for a Sunday game. Now it gets moved to Thursday Night , thats my issue. It's not all about the fans as Roger would say its about the $$

Most fans watch on TV, so really it is about fans enjoying the only game on TV for that Thursday instead of having to watch some garbage match-up.

They make more money, get better ratings, and fans get to watch a better game. Win-win-win.

3 hours ago, Mr Info said:

Bills: 

Week 13 bye

Week 14 Chiefs, Sun

Week 15 Cowboys, Sun

Week 16 Chargers, Sat

Week 17 Pats, Sun

Bills will not be flexed weeks 13, 15 & 16. That leaves possibly weeks 14 & 17. But Pats suck so only week 14 may be in play but CBS may select that game so this may not impact the Bills at all.

16 is a PPV on Peacock

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mr Info said:

Bills: 

Week 13 bye

Week 14 Chiefs, Sun

Week 15 Cowboys, Sun

Week 16 Chargers, Sat

Week 17 Pats, Sun

There’s absolutely no chance the NFL would flex Bill Chiefs to a Thursday night. They aren’t having 2 of their top teams play on a short week-they want all week to hype that game up and give both teams a chance to have all of their starters ready to go 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

They call this a regional franchise, people make plans from all over the country for a Sunday game. Now it gets moved to Thursday Night , thats my issue. It's not all about the fans as Roger would say its about the $$

Not sure what is difficult for you to grasp:

1. 4 week scheduling notice: this is plenty of time for fans, players, coaches, team personell/etc to adjust, if a game is flexed. 

2. Quality of games: no fan wants to watch a meaningless Thursday night game late in the season.  Let me ask, if your options are in Week 14, to watch the following on Thursday primetime, which would you pick?

Game 1: team A 3-10 VS Team B 5-8 

OR

Game 2: team C 8-5 VS Team D 9-4

To me it's obvious.  I'm picking Game 2 all day.  And it is about the $$$ and the fans, BOTH.  It's something that is a win-win.  Better quality games as a fan, more viewership ($$s, which is part of revenue sharing and impacts future cap ceiling), for the tradeoff of potentially having to reschedule a hotel, sell/buy tix, and/or change vacation schedule.  Easy decision.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.