Dirty Dean Marlow re-signed

TheyCallMeAndy

38 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

It's Rapp v. no one. He is clearly the 3rd Safety. 

With the re-signings of Poyer and Marlowe, Hyde returning from injury, and the addition of Rapp - there's no need to move Benford to Safety anymore.

I think that was something that was discussed in the event we lost Poyer and with Hamlin's uncertainty. Now that we're getting both back plus all the other things we've done, Benford will give us great depth at CB. Between White, Elam, Benford, and Jackson, all 4 of our Outside CB's on the 53 are players who have started for us.

Ultimately, it comes down to Hamlin v. Marlowe for the 4th and Final Safety spot on the 53. And Marlowe is probably more insurance than anything else. If Hamlin returns to form and doesn't miss a beat, the job is his. If he cannot or is a different player, he'll probably be out on some sort of IR designated list so he can get his 3 years and be a vested player in the league eligible for a pension and Marlowe will be the 4th.

Mayden is most likely just a camp body. But if he proves undeniable as a Special Teamer, maybe they keep 5 and eliminate another Special Teams player at another position to carry him.

No one is being traded. No one is going to trade for Marlowe if Hamlin returns to form. If Hamlin returns to form, we're not going to trade him after everything that has happened. And Poyer, Hyde, and Rapp aren't going anywhere either. Benford will be a CB.

Always slays me when we have good depth across the board at a position and fans want to trade players away.

Some good points.

I do not think Anderson is out of the mix to make the team just because he’s a ST guy and we seem to like those types.

I do think given that S depth one of Marlowe/Hamlin/Anderson could be flipped for a late round pick based purely on the “if Bodine” principle.

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks

1 hour ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Has there been a player (like “Joel”) in the NFL who ever officially went by just one name a la Prince, Cher, Beyoncé, etc. (He Hate Me doesn’t count.)

So is it Rapp v. Hamlin v. Marlowe v. Anderson v. Mayden? Benford still in the mix?

Rapp will be the first safety to come in followed by the winner of Hamlin/Marlowe.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Captain_Quint said:

I'd rather they keep Benford than Hamlin at this point. Benford was a zone CB at UConn and looked good filling in last year. Plus he has the potential upside of playing safety if needed. 

Hamlin did well filling in, but it's safe to say he was limited, and that was before the injury. And I agree that he may not ever step back on the field, or be the same player if he does. 

Keep Rapp as the primary safety backup along with Marlowe, and then get Benford some reps as 4th safety. 

They would have already moved Benford if they were going to. Hamlin is a decent back up S. But with both starters out it’s pretty hard to grade him paired with JJ who unfortunately can’t cover. If healthy Hamlin is a solid #4 S. Marlowe in case he’s not able to come back. Benford is playing cb is going to make this board meltdown. McBeane mentioned his versatility and boom everyone had him moving to S. 

Edited by QLBillsFan

1 hour ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Some good points.

I do not think Anderson is out of the mix to make the team just because he’s a ST guy and we seem to like those types.

I do think given that S depth one of Marlowe/Hamlin/Anderson could be flipped for a late round pick based purely on the “if Bodine” principle.

I do think there's a possibility that Anderson becomes so undeniable as a Special Teams player that he's kept for that reason alone. But I think it's a small possibility as our roster is very tight and most of our core ST'ers provide more at their natural positions than Anderson would as a 5th Safety.

But again, no one is being traded at Safety. Hyde, Poyer, and Rapp aren't going anywhere. There's zero possibility after everything Hamlin went through that if he returns to playing form, we'd ship him off to another team.

That would be terrible for the locker room, terrible for PR, and terrible for him to learn a whole new system on top of everything else he's being expected to overcome.

And when it comes to Dean Marlowe, Zayne Anderson, and Jared Mayden - no one's going to give up a pick for any of those guys. Anderson was cut by the Chiefs and spent all of last season unsigned. 

We traded for Marlowe at the end of last season only because we were completely ravaged by injuries at the Safety position and he knew the system already. Literally no one else would have traded for him but us. Even when we did, we gave up one of the last picks in the Draft for him and the Falcons were thrilled to give him to us for that. He then spent all of this offseason without any takers.

All 3 of these guys are guys will go unsigned to a 53 if released (and at least 2 definitely will, if not all 3) and might be a Practice Squad player for another team, if not brought back to ours. But yeah, no one's trading a pick for any of these players.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Benford isn't going to Safety. That was a fall back plan if FA played out poorly and was an idea that was never confirmed. 

With the expected line up of the 53 at CB & Safety - we have better depth than we've had in years. Trading away that quality depth doesn't make sense. The way I see it shaking out is fairly simple:

Outside CB:

Tre White

Kaiir Elam

Christian Benford 

Dane Jackson

Nickel CB:

Taron Johnson

Siran Neal (ST)

S:

Micah Hyde

Jordan Poyer

Taylor Rapp

Damar Hamlin (if he can return to form, Dean Marlowe if he can't)

Thats a good take and the most likely scenario.

But I will mention that Beane/Coach are thinking long term about where Benford best fits.  If they think that's safety, I'd still not be surprised to see them work on his conversion (ie: Cam Lewis LY, same as McLeod).  And still find a way to keep 5 safeties, if need be.  Personally, I think Benford would be best suited at Safety (long term), regardless of the signings we made.

Our 7th rounder, Austin, is the exact type of physical/zone type corner that exceeds expectations (ie: Dane Jackson, Benford too) and would be a nice S/T guy immediately.  Would put him in the mix to be the 4th outside corner.

Speaking of Cam Lewis, I wouldn't right him off either.  He gets a lot of flack for the Vikings game, but he is coming into year 2 of his transition to safety and could surprise.  

Bottom line, they have a lot of depth as mentioned, and the battles for the final CB/S spots will be fun to watch.

16 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Has there been a player (like “Joel”) in the NFL who ever officially went by just one name a la Prince, Cher, Beyoncé, etc. (He Hate Me doesn’t count.)

So is it Rapp v. Hamlin v. Marlowe v. Anderson v. Mayden? Benford still in the mix?

Ochocinco 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, boyst said:

I don't like Johnson at nickel as much as in the past. Maybe it was the issue of having so many injuries at safety last year, but did not play good for smart football

Yeah, I thought Johnson was terrible. 

17 hours ago, boyst said:

At this point, who knows.  The only one that might make sense is Benford. I also don't know that Hamlin will ever play again. Rapp is our dime,   don't know if bendord can handle nickel. 

what ya talking about? he was cleared a long time ago.

26 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

what ya talking about? he was cleared a long time ago.

i still have the idea in the back of my head he doesn't play again. he could do more for his cause and the world being a spokeman.

Just now, boyst said:

i still have the idea in the back of my head he doesn't play again. he could do more for his cause and the world being a spokesman.

I fixed the bolded

And he could do that..

Or..

he could make some money the next 5 years and then do that. 

18 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

It's Rapp v. no one. He is clearly the 3rd Safety. 

With the re-signings of Poyer and Marlowe, Hyde and Hamlin returning from injury, and the addition of Rapp - there's no need to move Benford to Safety anymore.

I think that was something that was discussed in the event we lost Poyer and with Hamlin's uncertainty. Now that we're getting both back plus all the other things we've done, Benford will give us great depth at CB. Between White, Elam, Benford, and Jackson, all 4 of our Outside CB's on the 53 are players who have started for us.

Ultimately, it comes down to Hamlin v. Marlowe for the 4th and Final Safety spot on the 53. And Marlowe is probably more insurance than anything else. If Hamlin returns to form and doesn't miss a beat, the job is his. If he cannot or is a different player, he'll probably be out on some sort of IR designated list so he can get his 3 years and be a vested player in the league eligible for a pension and Marlowe will be the 4th.

Mayden is most likely just a camp body. But if he proves undeniable as a Special Teamer, maybe they keep 5 and eliminate another Special Teams player at another position to carry him.

No one is being traded. No one is going to trade for Marlowe if Hamlin returns to form. If Hamlin returns to form, we're not going to trade him after everything that has happened. And Poyer, Hyde, and Rapp aren't going anywhere either. Benford will be a CB.

Always slays me when we have good depth across the board at a position and fans want to trade players away.

No pun intended I hope.

• Eyeroll 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.