Dirty Dean Marlow re-signed

TheyCallMeAndy

3 minutes ago, boyst said:

And some other dude named Joel at tight end

Billy ?

• Haha (+1) 7

Has there been a player (like “Joel”) in the NFL who ever officially went by just one name a la Prince, Cher, Beyoncé, etc. (He Hate Me doesn’t count.)

So is it Rapp v. Hamlin v. Marlowe v. Anderson v. Mayden? Benford still in the mix?

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks

Just now, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Has there been a player (like “Joel”) in the NFL who ever officially went by just one name a la Prince, Cher, Beyoncé, etc. (He Hate Me doesn’t count.)

So is it Rapp v. Hamlin v. Marlowe Anderson v. Mayden? Benford still in the mix?

Someone is traded. 

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

12 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Per text.

Considering they traded a 5th to bring him back, it’s a good re-signing. Let him compete with Hamlin for that 4th safety spot. 

Pretty sure the 5th was for Hines and the 7th was for Marlowe.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Got any inkling who?

At this point, who knows.  The only one that might make sense is Benford. I also don't know that Hamlin will ever play again. Rapp is our dime,   don't know if bendord can handle nickel. 

Edited by boyst
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

22 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Per text.

Considering they traded a 5th to bring him back, it’s a good re-signing. Let him compete with Hamlin for that 4th safety spot. 

They gave up a 7th for Marlow. Hines was traded for the 5th.

Edited by Yawning Frog
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

So is it Rapp v. Hamlin v. Marlowe Anderson v. Mayden? Benford still in the mix?

It's Rapp v. no one. He is clearly the 3rd Safety. 

With the re-signings of Poyer and Marlowe, Hyde and Hamlin returning from injury, and the addition of Rapp - there's no need to move Benford to Safety anymore.

I think that was something that was discussed in the event we lost Poyer and with Hamlin's uncertainty. Now that we're getting both back plus all the other things we've done, Benford will give us great depth at CB. Between White, Elam, Benford, and Jackson, all 4 of our Outside CB's on the 53 are players who have started for us.

Ultimately, it comes down to Hamlin v. Marlowe for the 4th and Final Safety spot on the 53. And Marlowe is probably more insurance than anything else. If Hamlin returns to form and doesn't miss a beat, the job is his. If he cannot or is a different player, he'll probably be out on some sort of IR designated list so he can get his 3 years and be a vested player in the league eligible for a pension and Marlowe will be the 4th.

Mayden is most likely just a camp body. But if he proves undeniable as a Special Teamer, maybe they keep 5 and eliminate another Special Teams player at another position to carry him.

1 hour ago, boyst said:

Someone is traded. 

No one is being traded. No one is going to trade for Marlowe if Hamlin returns to form. If Hamlin returns to form, we're not going to trade him after everything that has happened. And Poyer, Hyde, and Rapp aren't going anywhere either. Benford will be a CB.

Always slays me when we have good depth across the board at a position and fans want to trade players away.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

It's Rapp v. no one. He is clearly the 3rd Safety. 

With the re-signings of Poyer and Marlowe, Hyde returning from injury, and the addition of Rapp - there's no need to move Benford to Safety anymore.

I think that was something that was discussed in the event we lost Poyer and with Hamlin's uncertainty. Now that we're getting both back plus all the other things we've done, Benford will give us great depth at CB. Between White, Elam, Benford, and Jackson, all 4 of our Outside CB's on the 53 are players who have started for us.

Ultimately, it comes down to Hamlin v. Marlowe for the 4th and Final Safety spot on the 53. And Marlowe is probably more insurance than anything else. If Hamlin returns to form and doesn't miss a beat, the job is his. If he cannot or is a different player, he'll probably be out on some sort of IR designated list so he can get his 3 years and be a vested player in the league eligible for a pension and Marlowe will be the 4th.

Mayden is most likely just a camp body. But if he proves undeniable as a Special Teamer, maybe they keep 5 and eliminate another Special Teams player at another position to carry him.

No one is being traded. No one is going to trade for Marlowe if Hamlin returns to form. If Hamlin returns to form, we're not going to trade him after everything that has happened. And Poyer, Hyde, and Rapp aren't going anywhere either. 

Agreed but my point is that all of the safeties on our roster are back up for a better quality. If Benford does go to safety then who knows. I suspect he stays at cb

4 hours ago, boyst said:

At this point, who knows.  The only one that might make sense is Benford. I also don't know that Hamlin will ever play again. Rapp is our dime,   don't know if bendord can handle nickel. 

I'd rather they keep Benford than Hamlin at this point. Benford was a zone CB at nova and looked good filling in last year. Plus he has the potential upside of playing safety if needed. 

Hamlin did well filling in, but it's safe to say he was limited, and that was before the injury. And I agree that he may not ever step back on the field, or be the same player if he does. 

Keep Rapp as the primary safety backup along with Marlowe, and then get Benford some reps as 4th safety. 

Edited by Captain_Quint
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, boyst said:

Agreed but my point is that all of the safeties on our roster are back up for a better quality. If Benford does go to safety then who knows. I suspect he stays at cb

Benford isn't going to Safety. That was a fall back plan if FA played out poorly and was an idea that was never confirmed. 

With the expected line up of the 53 at CB & Safety - we have better depth than we've had in years. Trading away that quality depth doesn't make sense. The way I see it shaking out is fairly simple:

Outside CB:

Tre White

Kaiir Elam

Christian Benford 

Dane Jackson

Nickel CB:

Taron Johnson

Siran Neal (ST)

S:

Micah Hyde

Jordan Poyer

Taylor Rapp

Damar Hamlin (if he can return to form, Dean Marlowe if he can't)

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Benford isn't going to Safety. That was a fall back plan if FA played out poorly and was an idea that was never confirmed. 

With the expected line up of the 53 at CB & Safety - we have better depth than we've had in years. Trading away that quality depth doesn't make sense. The way I see it shaking out is fairly simple:

Outside CB:

Tre White

Kaiir Elam

Christian Benford 

Dane Jackson

Nickel CB:

Taron Johnson

Siran Neal (ST)

S:

Micah Hyde

Jordan Poyer

Taylor Rapp

Damar Hamlin (if he can return to form, Dean Marlowe if he can't)

I don't like Johnson at nickel as much as in the past. Maybe it was the issue of having so many injuries at safety last year, but did not play good for smart football

9 minutes ago, Captain_Quint said:

I'd rather they keep Benford than Hamlin at this point. Benford was a zone CB at UConn and looked good filling in last year. Plus he has the potential upside of playing safety if needed. 

Hamlin did well filling in, but it's safe to say he was limited, and that was before the injury. And I agree that he may not ever step back on the field, or be the same player if he does. 

Keep Rapp as the primary safety backup along with Marlowe, and then get Benford some reps as 4th safety. 

Benford went to Nova. 
FWIW, I think safety is his best position. Not quick enough for corner. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.