Who will be the Bills starting offensive linemen in 2023 (LT-LG-C-RG-RT)?

jwhit34

Who will be the Bills starting offensive linemen in 2023 (LT-LG-C-RG-RT)?  

181 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the BIlls starting offensive linemen in 2023 (LT-LG-C-RG-RT)?

• Dawkins-McGovern-Morse-Bates-Brown
    • Dawkins-McGovern-Morse-Torrence-Brown
    • Dawkins-McGovern-Morse-Torrence-Bates
    • Dawkins-Bates-Morse-McGovern-Brown
    • Dawkins-McGovern-Bates-Torrence-Brown
    • Other (list in your comments)

7 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Most good guards can play both … but old school football had the power on the right and finesse on the left 

and lots of people still go back to that… so better pass blockers and athletes on left side and run blockers on right was MO

The mirroring of their feet and hands is basically the big difference … LG and RG have opposite stances which can take time to get used to … and maybe some can’t adapt … that’s a muscle memory thing … and most lines slide left … so RG are 1 on 1 more in pass protection 

But LG was usually the better athlete and can move and RG was a phone booth … and takes more 1 on 1 

That’s really all that it is….sounds simple but thousands and thousands of reps over their playing career doing it one way is one of the reasons these guys are so good at what they do.  

Mirroring it to the other side is a different memory for the muscles. Some players adapt well.  Some can’t adapt. I think it really just depends on how hard they want to work at it. 

• Agree 2

The most surprising result is that there are 4 people predicting Bates would start at RT, rather than his arguably more valuable position of 3-position backup.  Misclicks?

Also Beane didn't draft Torrence (a single-position lineman and #1 guard in the draft) to NOT start.

Edited by 1ManRaid

13 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

Hmm every comment the team has made says McG LG and Torrence is a mauler RG. 

Switch from what Gunner Bill said, 

If Torrence doesn't start ... 

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

That’s really all that it is….sounds simple but thousands and thousands of reps over their playing career doing it one way is one of the reasons these guys are so good at what they do.  

Mirroring it to the other side is a different memory for the muscles. Some players adapt well.  Some can’t adapt. I think it really just depends on how hard they want to work at it. 

Chemistry as a single unit with the same guys in the same spot however is an undervalued thing among fans.  

It's ridiculously critical and what made our '90s OL as good as it was.  Or the HOGS for instance as just one of many examples.  

Edited by PBF81

10 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

If Torrence doesn't start ... 

Chemistry as a single unit with the same guys in the same spot however is an undervalued thing among fans.  

It's ridiculously critical and what made our '90s OL as good as it was.  Or the HOGS for instance as just one of many examples.  

For sure. That OL was great.  And then free agency happened in 1993.  

Some teams can pull it off, but, by and large, it’s extremely hard to keep these OLs together for more than 2-3 years.  Add the shallow pool of OL to choose from nowadays and it’s even harder. 

gotta hope that you draft well and hit some diamonds in the rough and have control for 4-5 years 

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

For sure. That OL was great.  And then free agency happened in 1993.  

Some teams can pull it off, but, by and large, it’s extremely hard to keep these OLs together for more than 2-3 years.  Add the shallow pool of OL to choose from nowadays and it’s even harder. 

gotta hope that you draft well and hit some diamonds in the rough and have control for 4-5 years 

My short answer to that is that other teams do it routinely, at least a bunch and our biggest competitors.  Beane would enter the conversation here.  

Secondly, it's tough to hit for OL-men in the Draft when you rarely select them.  Again, Beane enters the conversation in this regard, which is unpopular here.  

41 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

My short answer to that is that other teams do it routinely, at least a bunch and our biggest competitors.  Beane would enter the conversation here.  

Secondly, it's tough to hit for OL-men in the Draft when you rarely select them.  Again, Beane enters the conversation in this regard, which is unpopular here.  

Oh sorry, I didn’t realize this turned into another bash Beane conversation. Have fun

• Like (+1) 1

McD trusting a rookie to protect his multimillion-dollar QB, I think, might be a bit of a stretch.

I think Bates starts at RG at the beginning of the season.  But Torrence will get some reps and eventually take over as the starter.  Bates will then be the interior backup and not a tackle.   

That puts me in the minority because I chose Dawkins-McGovern-Morse-Bates-Brown as our opening-day OL.  

I worry about Mitch and his concussions.  

I thought Edwards might get some love, considering that he started for the Rams for three years, including their SB victory.  Then again, he wasn't a particularly good starter.  From 2019-2021 (I'm disregarding 2022 because of his own concussion problems), he averaged something like 66 on PFF's scoring system which rates him as a good backup.  

Edited by hondo in seattle

20 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Dawkins

Torrence

Morse

McGovern

Brown

Agreed, and I am surprised there are 12 votes for lineups in the poll that doesn't include Torrence.  Our guard play was so bad last year I feel like any guard off the street at any moment could have stepped in and not been any worse.  

Sure, it's possible Torrence struggles in camp and preseason and they go with veteran presence and bring Torrence along slower.  But IMHO, Torrence is just too good of a prospect to where I find a hard time seeing him start the season on the bench while one of the lesser inspiring veterans start.  

IMHO, if Brown can build on the potential he showed as a rookie and put last year behind him, our OL has a shot at being significantly better this year.  Brown is the key, because by adding both McGovern and Torrence, along with Bates, our guard spot now has depth and I am sure we can find a 2 man combo amongst those 3 that will be better than any combo at guard we trotted out last year.  But RT is still biggest question mark where I don't know if we have a quality option there until we see what version of Brown we get as there isn't much behind him to make you feel comfortable if Brown struggles.  

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Do you think they’ll move Torrance to LG and McGovern to right?

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Personally, I think that's the best combination. It wouldn't stun me if they went the other way. 

Thought I read somewhere that Torrence doesnt fair well at LG. Like, they tried him there a couple snaps at the Senior Bowl and then moved him right back to RG where he belonged.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Personally, I think that's the best combination. It wouldn't stun me if they went the other way. 

Interesting.  I figured they’d keep them where they’re comfortable, have developed muscle memory and have had success.  

3 hours ago, PBF81 said:

I mean this is such an inaccurate statement, and so obviously biased against the Bills with no perspective on what other teams are actually doing and going through, that it completely invalidates any other point you may be making.

KC loses and flips guys constantly. They just lost their OT and replaced him with a lower graded player.

Cincy is STILL trying to build an OL, and just stole said KC OT. Which is about to lose them their other OT.

Philly just lost OT Andre Dillard AND OG Isaac Seumalo

The list goes on.

There is a huge dearth of OL talent available. Beane could do better to focus on it, but almost every team is feeling that pain.

• Agree 1

I think the only question mark is at RG.

I believe Bates starts the season there, with Torrence perhaps occasionally rotating in at times if he shows well in camp and practice. Call it the Milano/Humber treatment.

I hope and expect that by mid-season or so, Torrence takes over for good. 

3 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

....Until he gets Josh injured

I've written plenty enough in various threads about my concern at RT and that it is the one position where Beane appears to stubbornly resist bringing in adequate competition. My response was supposed to be an evident joke.

• Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.