Who will be the Bills starting offensive linemen in 2023 (LT-LG-C-RG-RT)?

jwhit34

Who will be the Bills starting offensive linemen in 2023 (LT-LG-C-RG-RT)?  

181 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the BIlls starting offensive linemen in 2023 (LT-LG-C-RG-RT)?

• Dawkins-McGovern-Morse-Bates-Brown
    • Dawkins-McGovern-Morse-Torrence-Brown
    • Dawkins-McGovern-Morse-Torrence-Bates
    • Dawkins-Bates-Morse-McGovern-Brown
    • Dawkins-McGovern-Bates-Torrence-Brown
    • Other (list in your comments)

LT: Dawkins

LG: McGovern 

😄 Morse

RG: Bates

RT: Brown

IMO this is what opens the season. At some point one of the IOL guys will miss some time to injury...pretty likely. Torrence steps in and doesn't come off the field. Come the end of the year barring long term injury: Same as above with Torrence replacing Bates. Bates moves to primary backup for the 3 IOL positions. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

I would say there is likely very little controversy for LT-LG-C. Dawkins and Mitch are the vets and the best players along the O-line and McGov was a fairly big off-season signing and a proven in his prime player at guard. RT and RG right now are where the intrigue is. Brown barring a vet signing should be in line for RT. While I would prefer Brown has competition the organization seems to mostly believe in him although I would suspect Queese and Bates will get some snaps with the first unit to kick the tires so to speak. 

RG is also a bit of a battle between Bates and Torrence but while I do think McBean has shown a reluctance to play rookies I simply have a high degree of faith with Torrence that he will show out in camp. I love the O-line a lot more coming into this season. Edwards, Bates and Queese are a much better first three off the bench and the guard position is much better stocked. If this team can add a vet swing tackle who can compete with Brown at RT I think they go 9 deep in a good manner. 

I hope that it’s option 2 by seasons end.  I think Torrance will start but Bates wasn’t terrible to end the season.  Some rookies acclimate to the rigors of NFL life quicker than others. I could see a situation where bates starts the season and Torrance takes over after a few weeks.  But it would be so nice if he just came in week 1 and showed everyone why he was touted as a first rd pick by many, took the job and ran with it.

I like that torrance just came off of a year where he transferred and played at a very high level vs a huge uptick in talent.  

if Torrance and Brown turn out to be a formidable right side of the line, watch out.  

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

Dawkins

McGovern

Morse

Torrence

Brown

That'll be the starting line until, and you know it'll happen, Morse gets his next concussion. I think that'll also be on their minds starting Torrence over Bates at RG because they'll save Bates for when Morse goes down.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Dawkins

Torrence

Morse

McGovern

Brown

I wouldn’t disagree with this option as I’m guessing my Brit friend recognizes the LG has help pulling to the left with the LT and C, whereas in many blocking schemes the RG is on somewhat of an island with the RT Tackle often pushing out to the right.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

hey o line gurus, whats the big difference between a RG and LG?  Serious question..why are the 2 spots not interchageable?

Most good guards can play both … but old school football had the power on the right and finesse on the left 

and lots of people still go back to that… so better pass blockers and athletes on left side and run blockers on right was MO

The mirroring of their feet and hands is basically the big difference … LG and RG have opposite stances which can take time to get used to … and maybe some can’t adapt … that’s a muscle memory thing … and most lines slide left … so RG are 1 on 1 more in pass protection 

But LG was usually the better athlete and can move and RG was a phone booth … and takes more 1 on 1 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

18 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Most good guards can play both … but old school football had the power on the right and finesse on the left 

and lots of people still go back to that… so better pass blockers and athletes on left side and run blockers on right was MO

The mirroring of their feet and hands is basically the big difference … LG and RG have opposite stances which can take time to get used to … and maybe some can’t adapt … that’s a muscle memory thing … and most lines slide left … so RG are 1 on 1 more in pass protection 

But LG was usually the better athlete and can move and RG was a phone booth … and takes more 1 on 1 

thank you!

Bates kinda eliminates himself as an entrenched starter as he is more valuable to the 53 man roster as a backup to all 3 interior positions and an emergency tackle. As the season wears on he will get plenty of reps and  most likely start eventually, Im not confident Mitch Morse can play a complete season anymore as he has become a concussion collector. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Dawkins

Torrence

Morse

McGovern

Brown

I can see this happening, I went with Torrence and McGovern switching guard spots, but would be good either way. 

4 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

I think the guard we signed over from the rams starts out at right guard with Torrence learning and backing him up (it’s the McDermott way). 

bates backs up Morse.

so I say..

Dawkins-McGovern-Morse-Edwards-Brown 

I've been patient with McD's rookie treatment in previous years, because the different iterations of the team allowed it. Enough is enough tho for where we are in the team building phase of McBeane's plan. We have high-paid, homegrown stars. It's to the point we need at least the first 2 round rookies to step in and play a role right away. If Torrence isn't in the starting unit Week 1, it was a major botch by Beane. There were OGs available in this draft that should absolutely be Day 1 starters.

• Vomit 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.