NFL brings back emergency 3rd QB rule

Big Turk

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

In the days of 2 free elevations per week the simpler solution was just increase the number active on gameday.

Do you think teams would use that extra spot for a QB?  I don’t and I think that’s why they did it this way. They want to avoid RBs forced to playing QB….. especially in the playoffs 

7 hours ago, Malazan said:

..eh.. if they increase the actives (which I think they should absolutely do).. teams will repeat what happened to the 3rd QB and use that roster spot on a player more likely to have an impact. 

However, there's no reason they can't do both.. a designated 3rd QB slot and add a few more active players for game day. 

If you allow 50 game day actives and teams choose to only keep up 2 QBs and theirs both get hurt that's on them.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Do you think teams would use that extra spot for a QB?  I don’t and I think that’s why they did it this way. They want to avoid RBs forced to playing QB….. especially in the playoffs 

But realistically how often does that happen? It is a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Expand the active list and let teams decide.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

If you allow 50 game day actives and teams choose to only keep up 2 QBs and theirs both get hurt that's on them.

They could keep 3 QBs as it stands.. so that "it's on them" doesn't change. They're going to play the numbers and a situation that happens to 1 team every decade or so won't stop it. They're incentivized to put someone in who is many, many times more likely to contribute. 

29 minutes ago, Malazan said:

They could keep 3 QBs as it stands.. so that "it's on them" doesn't change. They're going to play the numbers and a situation that happens to 1 team every decade or so won't stop it. They're incentivized to put someone in who is many, many times more likely to contribute. 

Yes, I just wouldn't give them a "free" spot to do so. Having heard it explained in more detail since I think this rule will change nothing in the regular season, because your 3rd QB must be on the active roster. And it just isn't worth the roster spot. What I CAN see it changing is every team that makes the playoffs them adding a 3rd QB who has been on the PS all year to the active roster to benefit from this rule when the season is on the line. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

my issue is why do they limit the actives on game day? I say you should be able to activate anyone on the roster.  Is that a salary thing? (Have to pay all the actives). 

Several years ago someone asked that question on Movin the Chains.  Their explanation was that in the past the owners recognized throughout the year there would potentially be enough injuries that one team would have a competitive advantage which is why they historically dressed 46.  

I agree though Mr. Miyagi with the advent of a 16 player of the PS we should just allow 53 to dress including the 3rd QB.  The genesis is of course an overreaction to the 49ers situation on the championship game.

At the end of the day I don’t care.  Besides Allen almost never gets hurt so we’ll be fine.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Several years ago someone asked that question on Movin the Chains.  Their explanation was that in the past the owners recognized throughout the year there would potentially be enough injuries that one team would have a competitive advantage which is why they historically dressed 46.  

I agree though Mr. Miyagi with the advent of a 16 player of the PS we should just allow 53 to dress including the 3rd QB.  The genesis is of course an overreaction to the 49ers situation on the championship game.

At the end of the day I don’t care.  Besides Allen almost never gets hurt so we’ll be fine.

Yea it was about competitive disadvantage for a team with lots of short term injuries. I'm not sure with only two elevations from the PS per week you can go straight to 53... but I'd support going to dress 50 each week. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes, I just wouldn't give them a "free" spot to do so. Having heard it explained in more detail since I think this rule will change nothing in the regular season, because your 3rd QB must be on the active roster. And it just isn't worth the roster spot. What I CAN see it changing is every team that makes the playoffs them adding a 3rd QB who has been on the PS all year to the active roster to benefit from this rule when the season is on the line. 

Agreed.  And, one step further, they SHOULD allow teams in the playoffs to dress a 3rd/emergency back up even if they are on the PS.  The goal is to be competitive and have a good game to watch.

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

But realistically how often does that happen? It is a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Expand the active list and let teams decide.

It doesn’t happen often at all obv, but the nfl doesn’t care about adding one player to the active roster. They want to add one QB to make sure teams don’t put mccaffery out there at QB.  I see their point. 

2 hours ago, Manther said:

I would agree, but, maybe dressing a 3rd QB in playoff games would be a good idea?

They just discussed this on WGR with Sal, Joe, and Jeremy.  Sal clarified a lot about this new rule and too many data points to write up, but just go to Audacy in the 7:06-7:30 segment and you can listen for yourself.

He made a similar point, but you can’t bring up for the PS a 3rd QB, as they have to be on the 53.  As I mentioned just listen in and you’ll get all your answers.  I’m sure they’ll discuss again on the Extra Point show which is starting now.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

It doesn’t happen often at all obv, but the nfl doesn’t care about adding one player to the active roster. They want to add one QB to make sure teams don’t put mccaffery out there at QB.  I see their point. 

But it is up to teams to balance those decisions. 

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Under this new rule, is it? 

I think actually it still is, because you still have to decide whether a 3rd QB is worth a 53 man roster spot. As I said earlier I suspect during the regular season the answer will be "no" for most teams. In the playoffs it might be "yes."  I mind it less now I have seen that element of how it will operate. It was the same when in the old days of 21 man squads for World Cups FIFA used to specify a minimum of two keepers. Some teams took 3, some took 2 on the basis your 3rd keeper is never going to play unless you are incredibly unfortunate. Then for France '98 they changed the rule and required a minimum of 3 keepers in your (by then) 22 man squad. North Korea tried to get around the rule in 2010 by nominating an additional striker as their "3rd goalkeeper" and FIFA ruled that he would not be allowed to enter the field to play in any other position. I oppose that rule too. Let teams decide their own risk appetite. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.