Kaiir Elam - Breakout Player of 2023

I gotta admit, I was disappointed with Elam's play at the beginning of 2022.  But he seemed to progress as the season unfolded.  And now PFF has named Elam their Bills "breakout candidate" for 2023.  

Despite being a first-round pick in 2022, Elam failed to become a starting cornerback by the start of the season and had an inconsistent rookie year. However, as a former first-round pick, he should have plenty of opportunities to win that position battle. He also finished the season strong, flipping his 56.7 PFF grade in the regular season to 87.1 in two playoff games, a mark that would have ranked second among cornerbacks in the regular season.

Thoughts?  Do you agree?  Disagree?  Why?

www.pff.com/news/nfl-breakout-candidates-all-16-afc-teams-chiefs-kadarius-toney-steelers-kenny-pickett#BUF

• Like (+1) 12
  • Agree 1

I hope this is the case, and I hope that he actually did improve by the end of the season. I don't really know of it as is my sensibility test. I just saw problems quarterbacks would just as soon go after White as they would anywhere else. We also use the safeties to help cover on elam's side. I don't want a sophomore slump

Some players are good in practice bad in games. Some players are good in games bad in practice. Some players are great in the playoffs. The pressure brings out the best. Elam is trending towards great play in big moments against the best competition. I remember the pick of Mahomes and stellar play to close out the fins. What was Elam’s PFF grade vs the Bengals? Was it Frazier’s off press scheme that was the issue? 

• Like (+1) 2

Three interceptions in his rookie season, and playing a lot of zone, when his strength is in man/press, I anticipate a very good upcoming season. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think how Elam progresses mentally and Tre White progresses physically from his injury will determine how good our secondary will be this season.

CB is now a position of very good depth with Benford and Jackson able to start if needed.

I still have no idea how they plan to use Taylor Rapp, but he excells against the run and could prevent us from getting run over in Nickel and dime sets.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I thought he played very well in the playoffs. And down the stretch of the season...

I don't doubt he could have a major impact on the defense this year, he certainly has all the tools and the work ethic to.make it happen.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I thought he played very well in the playoffs. And down the stretch of the season...

I don't doubt he could have a major impact on the defense this year, he certainly has all the tools and the work ethic to.make it happen.

Yes and How well he played against Hill in the second Miami game.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't know that I'd call Elam a breakout candidate.  It's true that he started slow, but the finish that he had to his rookie season, including the playoffs put him on the expected trajectory.  I think he'll start and I think he'll be solid.  There are several other players that I'm hoping with break out, including Greg Rousseau, Ed Oliver and Gabe Davis. 

Edited by BigAl2526
  • Agree 1

He’s probably one of the more physically gifted secondary players we’ve had in a long time.

Has already shown he can make big plays.. just need the consistency and for him to get more comfortable in zone. 

Another thing I love about him is that he is literally in every single group outing picture with other guys on the team.   I’m pretty sure he’s incapable of saying no to a group outing. 

• Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

I think how Elam progresses mentally and Tre White progresses physically from his injury will determine how good our secondary will be this season.

CB is now a position of very good depth with Benford and Jackson able to start if needed.

I still have no idea how they plan to use Taylor Rapp, but he excells against the run and could prevent us from getting run over in Nickel and dime sets.

You basically said it. Rapp will be in the Big Nickel I assume. I like the addition.  Feels like a McDermott pick now that he's calling plays.

Versatility 

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Agree 2

On 5/21/2023 at 3:50 PM, PrimeTime101 said:

Yes and How well he played against Hill in the second Miami game.

I thought when he wasn't really playing that much that the coaching staff was having him get ready for Hill. A few times it seemed like Elam knew exactly what route was being run and ran it better than Hill. His playing time was also up in the dolphins games compared to others. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

I gotta admit, I was disappointed with Elam's play at the beginning of 2022.  But he seemed to progress as the season unfolded.  And now PFF has named Elam their Bills "breakout candidate" for 2023.  

Despite being a first-round pick in 2022, Elam failed to become a starting cornerback by the start of the season and had an inconsistent rookie year. However, as a former first-round pick, he should have plenty of opportunities to win that position battle. He also finished the season strong, flipping his 56.7 PFF grade in the regular season to 87.1 in two playoff games, a mark that would have ranked second among cornerbacks in the regular season.

Thoughts?  Do you agree?  Disagree?  Why?

www.pff.com/news/nfl-breakout-candidates-all-16-afc-teams-chiefs-kadarius-toney-steelers-kenny-pickett#BUF

I think he’s got the talent. If he makes the jump and Tre returns to form, we have the best secondary in football imo.  Very excited to see him and Benford battle for that position.   

His emergence would make the defense more dynamic.  Having 2 guys who can press allows for Mcdermott to get creative in the front 7.  I think the defense in recent years was conservative in nature do to Fraziers style.  Elam is a departure from the zone corners they put across white.  

I thought Elam did pretty well in man covergae last year.  He seemed to be able to maintain good contact with receivers.  One area I think he could improve upon is to become more physical at the point of the catch to dislodge the football.    

Edited by JimmyNoodles

58 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

We drafted a press man CB and never played press man. Will that change this year?

It would certainly optimize his capacity to succeed if they used him in ways that take advantage of his exceptional abilities. If they did not intend to use them, they should have drafted someone else.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.