Jim Brown dead at 87

Chandler#81

5 hours ago, Einstein said:

He would compete today and be a good starter, but I don't think he would be as dominant as he was in the 60's.

He would be Derrick Henry.

Nah.

Jim Brown was Jim Brown with training methods from the '50s. Today he would be a ton better than he was back then.

He might not have been quite as dominant, but still extremely.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Statically Ruth was even more dominant 

in 1921 Ruth hit more home runs by himself than like 60% of MLB teams 

by himself 

that would be like Brown out rushing 6 teams by himself 

i never checked but if brown did that… incredible 

I saw your post and thought it sounded difficult but not impossible. Thought I'd check it out

His statistical dominance was truly insane. Look at 1963. Brown had 1863 yards, his best year. The second-best RB that year was Jim Taylor with the Pack. 1,018 yards. Number two in the league in a year when Brown had 1,863. Taylor had fewer carries, 248 to Brown's 291, but he was insane.

That year Brown averaged 133.1 Yards per Game on the ground. In the same year, the league average for production on the ground was 126.4.

That's the average for teams, not players. Brown totalled more yards on the ground than the league average for teams that year.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/NFL/rushing.htm

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I saw your post and thought it sounded difficult but not impossible. Thought I'd check it out

His statistical dominance was truly insane. Look at 1963. Brown had 1863 yards, his best year. The second-best RB that year was Jim Taylor with the Pack. 1,018 yards. Number two in the league in a year when Brown had 1,863. Taylor had fewer carries, 248 to Brown's 291, but he was insane.

That year Brown averaged 133.1 Yards per Game on the ground. In the same year, the league average for production on the ground was 126.4.

That's the average for teams, not players. Brown totalled more yards on the ground than the league average for teams that year.

Insane

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Well since you started the hard work I finished it … Browns 1863 yards that year were better than 9-12 teams or 75% of football 

certainly Spectacular 

• Like (+1) 1

I remember reading how when Jim Brown started his career, the Browns O line was not good.  Brown would just put his head down and try to grind out whatever he could get.  Then someone actually opened a hole for him, and he fell down forward because he wasn't expecting the lack of resistance.  After that the line got better and so did he.  

Simpson came into the league just a couple of years after Brown retired, while running backs were still the key players on the team, and we used to argue about whether Simpson was as good as Brown, but I don't think he was.  Simpson did break some of Brown's records, but as great as he was Simpson was still not as dangerous.  Simpson was maybe a little faster and a lot more elusive.  He was the same height as Brown (6' 2") but was about 15 pounds lighter.  Brown ran with much more power -- the difference was a lot more pronounced than you'd think 15 extra pounds would do., 

The difference in public perception came from Brown's publicly not taking any crap from anyone, while Simpson was the pretty boy happy good feeling non-threatening black man that white people could feel safe about.  Simpson was a little bit better as a actor -- OK, let's face it, he really was a little less bad -- but the biggest post-football difference is that Brown worked hard to improve the lot of black people through energetic community activism.  Simpson, like most other former athletes, just walked away to enjoy life.  

All that said, I still think OJ is the best running back ever not named Jim Brown.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Nah.

Jim Brown was Jim Brown with training methods from the '50s. Today he would be a ton better than he was back then.

He might not have been quite as dominant, but still extremely.

Why do people fail to realize this?  They always want to argue that the guys he played against were not full time modern era players...duh, neither was he.

5 hours ago, Utah John said:

The difference in public perception came from Brown's publicly not taking any crap from anyone, while Simpson was the pretty boy happy good feeling non-threatening black man that white people could feel safe about.  Simpson was a little bit better as a actor -- OK, let's face it, he really was a little less bad -- but the biggest post-football difference is that Brown worked hard to improve the lot of black people through energetic community activism.  Simpson, like most other former athletes, just walked away to enjoy life.  

Oh the irony! 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Mr. Brown’s private life was tumultuous. In his 1989 memoir, “Out of Bounds,” he revealed that he often attended sex parties and had extramarital affairs. He was arrested at least seven times for assault, usually against women, including a 1968 incident in which he was accused of throwing a girlfriend off a second-story balcony.

His first marriage, to Sue James, ended in divorce in 1972. In 2002, he spent nearly four months in jail for using a shovel to shatter the windows of a car belonging to his second wife, Monique Gunthorp Brown, who was almost 40 years younger than Mr. Brown. They remained married after his release.

Trying to understand the point of posting stuff like this after the announcement of someone’s death. Very scummy thing to do.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, StHustle said:

Trying to understand the point of posting stuff like this after the announcement of someone’s death. Very scummy thing to do.

It's true, so it's ok. 

It's a message board and it's not like it hurts his family or anything, why does it upset you? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Way back in the day, football fans from western New York were usually Giant's fans or Brown's fans.  I don't remember what year it was , but Cleveland hosted a twilight doubleheader.   The first game was the Giants vs. the Lions and the second game was the Browns vs. the Packers.   It was quite an attraction, naturally the stadium was packed.  After, the first game finished and getting ready for the second game, the Packer's team was announced and they all came out together as a group.  And then the Brown's team was announced and they all came out together, all except for Jim Brown.  All the lights in the stadium were then turned off.  The stadium was pitch black.  A single spotlight was turned on and Jim ran out on the field, with a thunderous roar from the crowd.   It was a moment and a feeling all who were there will never forget.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, StHustle said:

I was wondering if anyone on this thread would bring up some of Brown's alleged off-field behavior.  

I don't think it's scummy to talk about it. It's part of his life & legacy.  I'll get downvoted, but from some of what I have seen and read about him, some of what he did could certainly be classified as scummy.

I think it's always complicated w/ sports & entertainment figures who have brilliant work, but also questionable activities in their private lives.  But I don't see why that should go unmentioned.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.