Jim Brown dead at 87

Chandler#81

47 minutes ago, Einstein said:

It's all true.

Remember, when Jim Brown played, football was just a part time job. 

Jim Houston sold insurance, and he said he made considerably more as an insurance agent than he did in the NFL. Paul Warfield sold tires. Chuck Noll worked for a freight company. John Wooton taught math at a school.

When you're competing against math teachers, insurance salesman, etc ... you're going to look more dominant than if you compete against NFL defenders whose entire job is to stay as in-shape as possible.

I still think Jim Brown would be quite good today, but I do not believe he would be the dominant game-changing player that many remember.

It's for this same reason that I find it silly to compare players from before the mid 1970's, to any player today. 

It's a fair point.   But that really speaks to the bottom 80% of the league, talent-wise.   The very best players weren't skipping pro football to sell insurance.  They were playing football.   The Warfields, Butkuses, those guys.   The best players in the league were every bit as talented as the best players today (diet and training being equal).   And THOSE players, the best defenders in the league, all said that Brown was otherworldly.  

Someone said Brown and Payton were the two best ever.  Maybe so, but Payton entered the league only a half dozen years after Brown left, and the game hadn't changed that much.   I saw them both.   Payton was great; he wasn't Paul Brown.  

I'll say it again - he ran like Henry and he caught passes like McCaffrey (or Thurman, if you want to go there).  

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Shocked the sports world by retiring immediately following his 9th season. The next year, he was in the limelight again as a member of The Dirty Dozen with Lee Marvin, running across roof tops, dropping grenades onto high ranking Nazis.🤣👍

Dirty Dozen is great. My fav of his though was Slaughter. :worthy:.

Stella Stevens and him gone in the same year, what a shame.

I watched him play many times on my grandparents black and white TV....we didn't have one at my house, so Sunday afternoons I was  with the TV.  He was great, and I remember some of his teammates.  Milt Plumb was the QB after Otto Graham.    The first in a line of great Syracuse rb;s.   Ernie Davis, Floyd LIttle...on an on.  RIP JB.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, OGTEleven said:

He was basically the Babe Ruth of football.

Statically Ruth was even more dominant 

in 1921 Ruth hit more home runs by himself than like 60% of MLB teams 

by himself 

that would be like Brown out rushing 6 teams by himself 

i never checked but if brown did that… incredible 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Love to recall when Franco Harris was closing in on one of his rushing records. Brown was vocal how much he despised Franco running out of bounds so much to avoid getting hit and threatened to return almost 2 decades later to stave off Harris’ attempt at the record. Al Davis offered him the opportunity.

CLASSIC!

Likewise I remember when Walter Payton broke the record he said he was happy for him and he respected his game because he didn't ever try to run out of bounds and wasn't afraid of contact.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Sounds like my house when I was growing up, 👍

Grew up in S Buffalo 6th out of 7 w 4 brothers

My dad finished our basement in '64, put in a small bar and a big rec/tv room. My dad, my brothers and I, and various assortments of grandpas, uncles, cousins, and friends would gather on Sundays for the football on a big b/w console tv. It would get so rowdy down there, my family really likes to laugh and it would get pretty hilarious. I was the 4 year old beer runner. The grandparents, parents, uncles and aunts have all passed on, as well as 2 of my brothers. Hearing that Jim Brown passed brought me immediately back to those basement gatherings that I hadn't thought about for a long time.

It feels good to remember them ❤️

RIP 

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

Brown would have been very good today. His size, speed, and power were well before his time. He accomplished what he did playing between 12 and 14 games. He had 7 season in which he averaged more than 100 yard per game. Walter Payton and OJ had less than half that total. He is one of the true legends. 

4 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Quite possibly the greatest athlete of all-time.

RIP

From his Wiki: Perhaps more impressive was his success as a multisport athlete. In addition to his football accomplishments, he excelled in basketball, track, and especially lacrosse. As a sophomore, he was the second-leading scorer for the basketball team (15 ppg), and earned a letter on the track team. In 1955, he finished in fifth place in the National Championship decathlon.[15] His junior year, he averaged 11.3 points in basketball, and was named a second-team All-American in lacrosse. His senior year, he was named a first-team All-American in lacrosse (43 goals in 10 games to rank second in scoring nationally). Brown was so dominant in the game, that lacrosse rules were changed requiring a lacrosse player to keep their stick in constant motion when carrying the ball (instead of holding it close to his body).[16][17] There is currently no rule in lacrosse that requires a player to keep his stick in motion. He is in the Lacrosse Hall of Fame.[18] The JMA Wireless Dome has an 800 square-foot tapestry depicting Brown in football and lacrosse uniforms with the words "Greatest Player Ever".[19]

It’s likely Brown or Jim Thorpe. Sad day when a legend passes, especially one who utilized his influence to push  the progression of both sport and culture. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

by himself 

And Ruth was a good pitcher.

3 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

I actually met him once at a restaurant in New Haven, CT while he was there for a Lacrosse Championship Tournament he was invited to. Easy gentleman to talk to with the largest Bodyguard I've ever seen. When he walked in it was like the world just froze in silence. That was the type of presence and aura he put out.

RIP.....

Pepes?  Robert Henry’s?  What New Haven restaurant?

3 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

And Ruth was a good pitcher.

He was better than a good pitcher 

Lead the major leagues in wins once… was an ERA leader … Complete games leader And lead the majors in shutouts

That’s all without one batting accomplishment

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

He had superior athletic ability to Henry and he’d be a three down back because of that. He would garner multiple All Pro honors and he would be a first ballot HOFer at the position, regardless. 

I am a big time fan of Derrick Henry, have been for tears. The big difference between Brown (who I really only saw on tape) and Henry is speed. In addition to being a monster, Brown had break away speed. 

I suppose that the closest comparison to Brown that I ever saw was a young, pre-injury Earl Campbell. I will not make the claim that Earl was as tough as Brown but he was damn close.

Jmo.

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

by himself 

My point was partly statistical but more so to emphasize the degree to which they helped put their sport on the map.  Brown’s presence helped move the NFL to a much greater prominence.

Ruth did the very same thing.  He did it earlier and not just for baseball but for all of sports.  If there were a Mount Rushmore with one person for each major sport, I think Brown and Gretzky are as easy to choose as Ruth.  The NBA is the only tricky one.  Personally I don’t think I could narrow that down to five choices.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Pete said:

An astounding fact I’ve read and heard many times- Jim Brown was never tackled for a loss.

Not true, unfortunately. Makes a truly great legend, but not true. 

It really couldn't have been. Sometimes your line just caves in.

Here is video evidence:

If you click on the video quadrant you get a better view.

Still the best football player in history, IMO. Maybe lacrosse too.

12 minutes ago, OGTEleven said:

My point was partly statistical but more so to emphasize the degree to which they helped put their sport on the map.  Brown’s presence helped move the NFL to a much greater prominence.

Ruth did the very same thing.  He did it earlier and not just for baseball but for all of sports.  If there were a Mount Rushmore with one person for each major sport, I think Brown and Gretzky are as easy to choose as Ruth.  The NBA is the only tricky one.  Personally I don’t think I could narrow that down to five choices.

Basically agree on everything 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.