Jim Brown dead at 87

Chandler#81

53 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

From the Washington Post: 

Away from the playing field, however, Mr. Brown could be a complex, contradictory and troubled man. His career began at the dawn of the civil rights movement, and he was acutely aware of the double standards that prevailed in sports and society.

Even when he was named NFL rookie of the year in 1957, he wasn’t always allowed to stay at the same hotels or dine in the same restaurants as his White teammates. Mr. Brown became something of a symbolic figure early in his career, particularly when his team played Washington’s NFL franchise, whose owner, George Preston Marshall, stubbornly refused to put a Black player on the roster until 1962.

Washington Post sportswriter Shirley Povich mocked Marshall by noting that Mr. Brown and other African Americans were born “ineligible” to play for the Redskins. In 1960, Povich equated Mr. Brown’s exploits on the gridiron with advances in the civil rights movement, writing that the player “integrated the Redskins’ goal linewith more than deliberate speed, perhaps exceeding the famous Supreme Court decree. Brown fled 25 yards like a man in an uncommon hurry and the Redskins’ goal line, at least, became interracial.”

Shirley Povich was a national treasure. He bore witness to and wrote first hand accounts about of some of the greatest sports events and participants in history. Even left the sports desk to cover WWII for The Post. Even covered the World Series for The Post after his retirement. Wrote columns into his nineties. A walking, talking history book. 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

RIP Jim Brown

Before the merger the Browns were the favorite NFL team in my family. 

Jim Brown, Leroy Kelly and Paul Warfield were my favorites

Had his poster on my wall

Loved seeing him in the Dirty Dozen at the theater as a kid.

Sounds like my house when I was growing up, 👍

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chris from Rochester said:

I never saw him play but my dad would tell me stories of him carrying defenders into the endzone. RIP

If you get a chance, watch his highlights on YouTube or elsewhere.  It's mind blowing what he could do.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

We often hear how players from long ago eras couldn’t possibly compete against today’s bigger, faster, 24/7, 365 NFL player and that’s usually the case. But Jim Brown could have played and been a force today as well. 6’2”, 230lbs. with world class speed can play in all eras. 

He would compete today and be a good starter, but I don't think he would be as dominant as he was in the 60's.

He would be Derrick Henry.

• Eyeroll 2

14 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

If you get a chance, watch his highlights on YouTube or elsewhere.  It's mind blowing what he could do.

I linked this to my post earlier.  It's 15 minutes, and it's just amazing.   Over and over and over, broken tackles, shifty moves, and outrunning defenders.   How could he possibly have had that many great plays?   People say, "yeah, but the competition was smaller," and "look at the blocking he had - Paul Brown was genius."   Okay, assume all of that's true.   Just watch how amazing these runs are.  

What was his greatest skill?   Well, pretty much everything, but short yardage was mind boggling.   Watch how many of these highlights are  touchdown runs under five yards, splitting tacklers, knocking guys down, refusing to go down.   

What Adrian Peterson did on his best day, what Derrick Henry does on his best day, Brown did for nine years. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

He would compete today and be a good starter, but I don't think he would be as dominant as he was in the 60's.

He had superior athletic ability to Henry and he’d be a three down back because of that. He would garner multiple All Pro honors and he would be a first ballot HOFer at the position, regardless. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Well, who wouldn't want Derrick Henry?   Henry runs more like Brown than anyone I've seen.   Brown was better, but Henry is close.  

The only reason Brown might not dominate is that the game is different.   But even that might not be correct, because Brown was a much better receiver than Henry.   The Browns didn't take Brown out of game on third down, because he was the fastest guy on the field and always a threat. Imagine getting Henry catching passes like McCaffrey.  That's what Jim Brown would have been like.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

He had superior athletic ability to Henry and he’d be a three down back because of that. He would garner multiple All Pro honors and he would be a first ballot HOFer at the position, regardless. 

What I just said, too.  

If you've only seen football from the 90s on, it's hard to understand how good he was.    I mean, the guy led the league in rushing in eight of his nine seasons in the league,  The one year he didn't win the rushing title, he played the entire season with a broken wrist, could only carry the ball in one hand, and couldn't use his other hand for his stiff arm, which was as deadly as Henry.  He finished fourth in rushing that season.   

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

People say, "yeah, but the competition was smaller," and "look at the blocking he had - Paul Brown was genius."   Okay, assume all of that's true.  

It's all true.

Remember, when Jim Brown played, football was just a part time job. 

Jim Houston sold insurance, and he said he made considerably more as an insurance agent than he did in the NFL. Paul Warfield sold tires. Chuck Noll worked for a freight company. John Wooton taught math at a school.

When you're competing against math teachers, insurance salesman, etc ... you're going to look more dominant than if you compete against NFL defenders whose entire job is to stay as in-shape as possible.

I still think Jim Brown would be quite good today, but I do not believe he would be the dominant game-changing player that many remember.

It's for this same reason that I find it silly to compare players from before the mid 1970's, to any player today. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Einstein said:

It's all true.

Remember, when Jim Brown played, football was just a part time job. 

Jim Houston sold insurance, and he said he made considerably more as an insurance agent than he did in the NFL. Paul Warfield sold tires. Chuck Noll worked for a freight company. John Wooton taught math at a school.

When you're competing against math teachers, insurance salesman, etc ... you're going to look more dominant than if you compete against NFL defenders whose entire job is to stay as in-shape as possible.

I still think Jim Brown would be quite good today, but I do not believe he would be the dominant game-changing player that many remember.

It's for this same reason that I find it silly to compare players from before the mid 1970's, to any player today. 

As I pointed out previously, the idea that players of bygone eras can’t compete, let alone dominate, against today’s superior full time athletes is nearly always true. But there are a handful that could. Jim Brown is simply one of them and I’ll just leave it at that. It’s not worth debating, imo.

• Like (+1) 1

A friend of mine used to help organize charity golf outings involving current and former NFL players. He met Jim Brown at one and then saw him a year later at the same event. He walked by Brown, who was talking to a group people. Brown yelled to him and called him by name. “So you don’t stop and say hi, Mark?” Mark told him he didn’t think he’d even remember him. He said Brown couldn’t have been nicer to him.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

What I just said, too.  

If you've only seen football from the 90s on, it's hard to understand how good he was.    I mean, the guy led the league in rushing in eight of his nine seasons in the league,  The one year he didn't win the rushing title, he played the entire season with a broken wrist, could only carry the ball in one hand, and couldn't use his other hand for his stiff arm, which was as deadly as Henry.  He finished fourth in rushing that season.   

People who can’t appreciate the kind of all around athlete that he was, especially at his size, can’t seem to grasp the idea that he could not only play today but that he would be a dominant force at the position as well. Perhaps not the SAME force given today’s diminished reliance on the running game, but he would still dominate the position of RB. He would still garner All Pro and Pro Bowl honors and he would still be HOF worthy. 

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

As I pointed out previously, the idea that players of bygone eras can’t compete, let alone dominate, against today’s superior full time athletes is nearly always true. But there are a handful that could. Jim Brown is simply one of them and I’ll just leave it at that. It’s not worth debating, imo.

One point that is often overlooked in these types of debates is that bygone era players, if playing today, would have had the advantages of all

the training, equipment, nutrition and knowledge that current players have.  Today's Jim Brown would have been even stronger and faster than

his 60's self.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, K-9 said:

People who can’t appreciate the kind of all around athlete that he was, especially at his size, can’t seem to grasp the idea that he could not only play today but that he would be a dominant force at the position as well. Perhaps not the SAME force given today’s diminished reliance on the running game, but he would still dominate the position of RB. He would still garner All Pro and Pro Bowl honors and he would still be HOF worthy. 

I think that's correct.  Some of us are really into his story, and if others don't know it, it's hard to understand, as you say.  He was a truly dominant lacrosse player.   He played for a year on the Syracuse basketball team.   He was on the baseball team and the track team and sometimes changed uniforms so that he could play both sports on the same day.  And he was the fastest player in the NFL.   He was a once-in-a-lifetime athlete.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.