Connor and O’Cyrus at the minimum should help cut down on these type of things

53 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Brown has elite physical abilities. He’s definitely worth the time to develop. Many 1st round picks have started worse than Brown. And yes, he’s had many hurdles early on in his career.

I think most people just wanted a competition at RT. Currently no one will challenge Brown at RT unless they move Bates back out to OT. 

Good post. I agree. I wanted them to add an OT but by the time they picked in first round all the top prospects were gone. Agree with Kincaid pick.  Torrence was too good to pass up in second round. 

I'm actually equally worried about Dawkins as I am Brown. Dawkins has played poorly in two consecutive years with the exception of about 5 games at the end of 2021.  Those 5 or 6 games were some of his best football played however. Really enigma. 

I see them moving on from Dawkins in 2024 unless he really rebounds. He is way overpaid for the level of play he showed in 2022. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Good post. I agree. I wanted them to add an OT but by the time they picked in first round all the top prospects were gone. Agree with Kincaid pick.  Torrence was too good to pass up in second round. 

I'm actually equally worried about Dawkins as I am Brown. Dawkins has played poorly in two consecutive years with the exception of about 5 games at the end of 2021.  Those 5 or 6 games were some of his best football played however. Really enigma. 

I see them moving on from Dawkins in 2024 unless he really rebounds. He is way overpaid for the level of play he showed in 2022. 

Nah, Dawkins had a couple below average games last year but he’s consistently average. I wouldn’t worry about him. I don’t agree that he’s played poorly. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

48 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I don't think he "underperformed except for week 1".  Von Miller specifically called out Phillips after several games for the pressure up the middle that let Miller do his thing.

I do think the Bills expected Phillips to behave with more sense on the field and not pull his hamstring and tear up his shoulder chasing around the backfield like a nickel corner.

Then you're going to fundamentally always have a problem with a roster built to support McDermott's defense, because McDermott believes in DL rotation as a fundamental underpinning of his D.

1. Von can fluff him up all he wants but I am telling you what I saw on the field and even allowing for injuries it was poor.

2. I don't have any issue with DL rotation. I am a proponent of it. The Eagles and Howie Roseman have believed in it for years. What I question is do you need 4 paid vets? It is at the cost of other parts of the roster. I refuse to believe that the rotation would be sunk if you swapped out Tim Settle for Brandin Bryant or someone of that ilk and that money might have got you another outside receiver or a better vet tackle to challenge Brown or a better #2 tight end than Morris.... or whatever it may have been.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 5

9 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I have no words for what Josh endured last season

This isn't good.

But it ain't like other teams never have plays where the QB gets battered. It's the nature of football.

Whoever Sachi is, he could find probably 2000 plays like this in the NFL last year.

But yeah, bringing in Connor and O'Cyrus should help, and they needed the upgrade there, most particularly from Saffold, who turned out to be cooked.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

1. Von can fluff him up all he wants but I am telling you what I saw on the field and even allowing for injuries it was poor.

2. I don't have any issue with DL rotation. I am a proponent of it. The Eagles and Howie Roseman have believed in it for years. What I question is do you need 4 paid vets? It is at the cost of other parts of the roster. I refuse to believe that the rotation would be sunk if you swapped out Tim Settle for Brandin Bryant or someone of that ilk and that money might have got you another outside receiver or a better vet tackle to challenge Brown or a better #2 tight end than Morris.... or whatever it may have been.

Based on what you have seen as of now and you had to make a decision, would you extend Oliver at what his expected market rate would be?

Will DaQuan Jones or Poona Ford get more snaps at 1T?

How do you feel about our DE depth and would you sign Justin Houston if he becomes a serious option?

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Same way Ruben Brown went to the Pro Bowl every year (although Brown was never THAT bad). If you are a Guard, once your name is known, you are going every year since you're pretty much the only Guard people know.

My dad and I used to joke that all the opposing Defenders voted Ruben in every year just to keep him around so they could play against him.

Same here for Saffold.

I love this post.  I always thought that Ruben Brown was a good player and seemed/seems like a good guy.  That said, he was a solid veteran starting guard, not a perennial All-Pro.  I've seen posts in this board in past years saying that Brown is a fringe Hall of Fame candidate....To me, that's crazy talk.  But he was a reliable guard with a known name.  I'd say something similar about former Bills tackle John Fina.  He was a solid starter.  Good NFL player.  I don't know him personally, but I have a couple of connections in Arizona and elsewhere that know his family and have met him personally and say he's a GREAT dude.  I'd love to meet him some time and shoot the sh*t about his Bills career. That said, I think he was a bit over-rated as a player.  I think that he was a good starter on a great team, so he had name recognition.  (If I do ever meet him, I hope he doesn't know what I said about him here....He and I are about the same age and I can hold my own, but he's a bit bigger than me and a former professional football player, so I think he might be able to take me).

• Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I love this post.  I always thought that Ruben Brown was a good player and seemed/seems like a good guy.  That said, he was a solid veteran starting guard, not a perennial All-Pro.  I've seen posts in this board in past years saying that Brown is a fringe Hall of Fame candidate....To me, that's crazy talk.  But he was a reliable guard with a known name.  I'd say something similar about former Bills tackle John Fina.  He was a solid starter.  Good NFL player.  I don't know him personally, but I have a couple of connections in Arizona and elsewhere that know his family and have met him personally and say he's a GREAT dude.  I'd love to meet him some time and shoot the sh*t about his Bills career. That said, I think he was a bit over-rated as a player.  I think that he was a good starter on a great team, so he had name recognition.  (If I do ever meet him, I hope he doesn't know what I said about him here....He and I are about the same age and I can hold my own, but he's a bit bigger than me and a former professional football player, so I think he might be able to take me).

Fina has an absolute killer series ("Off Tackle with John Fina")  during football season weekly where he meticulously analyzes certain Bill plays and he shows the good and the bad.  And yes from what he says on the podcasts he seems like a genuinely great guy.  I highly recommend it.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 4

57 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Based on what you have seen as of now and you had to make a decision, would you extend Oliver at what his expected market rate would be?

Will DaQuan Jones or Poona Ford get more snaps at 1T?

How do you feel about our DE depth and would you sign Justin Houston if he becomes a serious option?

It won't be popular but at the Spotrac estimate $10.5m AAV yes I'd extend Ed. Not sure he'd take that now though. He would want to test the market (and may well get more). Not sure I'd go much above that. Maybe to $12m AAV for a lower guaranteed % and out after a couple of years.

Jones will be the starter IMO.

At the right price, yes on Houston. Don't feel great starting a season with AJE, Boogie or Shaq as a pencilled in starter until Von returns.

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It won't be popular but at the Spotrac estimate $10.5m AAV yes I'd extend Ed. Not sure he'd take that now though. He would want to test the market (and may well get more). Not sure I'd go much above that. Maybe to $12m AAV for a lower guaranteed % and out after a couple of years.

Jones will be the starter IMO.

At the right price, yes on Houston. Don't feel great starting a season with AJE, Boogie or Shaq as a pencilled in starter until Von returns.

I think Von will be back probably by week 1.  

The healing process is sped up because they don't have to drill holes in the bone again.  The bone healing takes awhile too apparently.  

Plus, we still have 3.5 months and he's doing full plyometric workouts now.

Is Boogie not even worth depth?  The underdog name on here is Kingsley Jonathan...what do you think of him?

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think Von will be back probably by week 1.  

The healing process is sped up because they don't have to drill holes in the bone again.  The bone healing takes awhile too apparently.  

Plus, we still have 3.5 months and he's doing full plyometric workouts now.

Is Boogie not even worth depth?  The underdog name on here is Kingsley Jonathan...what do you think of him?

I think Jonathan. He is raw but there is some potential there.

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

This isn't good.

But it ain't like other teams never have plays where the QB gets battered. It's the nature of football.

Whoever Sachi is, he could find probably 2000 plays like this in the NFL last year.

But yeah, bringing in Connor and O'Cyrus should help, and they needed the upgrade there, most particularly from Saffold, who turned out to be cooked.

The only mystery is how the Bills hadn't worked this out before they signed him. Not like Titans games are blacked out or played on the moon.

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It's unfair to judge a veteran player like Saffold just by one rep.  That's why you need to watch all of them last year to truly grasp how terrible he was.

PFF grades do not lie. he was terrible. 

Overall 43.7

Pass Block 51

Run Block 43.1

Not to mention 10 penalties called against him. 

In that Cinci game?

Overall 42.1

Pass Block 57.1

Run Block 18.1

The dude never had his heart in the game this year and it showed. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

This isn't good.

2,000 plays like this?  I doubt it, especially in a playoff game.  I cant recall ever  watching a player put forth a weak effort for the first half second and then stand there and  watch like a moron as he QB is under attack.

I will say the only mitigating factor might be that Saffold was to paranoid about his footing and was too  timid to move.

This video actually give me hope for next year, we tried to address a glaring weakness.  I cant imagine there won't be a massive improvements on the interior o line.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I disagreed with your take on this last offseason.  I loved the settle signing.  He was 24 at the time coming off of his rookie contract.  Loved him @ VTech and loved what I had heard about him from some commanders fans I know.  They were upset about losing him.

that said-  what we got out of him last year was forgettable.  I thought Brandon Bryant played better than him tbh.  He proved to be just a guy.  He’s not bad- but, for a guy being paid 4m+ I didn’t think he gave us much more than a replacement player would’ve.  

you think he’s be cut this year?  Do we even save money?  I thought he had a 5M dead cap

This organization had 5 full years to identify they had a very mediocre OL protecting their superstar. It wasn't until this off season that they magically decided to pull their heads out of their arses.  We may have wasted 2 straight years of landing a Lombardi because of this negligence. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

PFF grades do not lie. he was terrible. 

Overall 43.7

Pass Block 51

Run Block 43.1

Not to mention 10 penalties called against him. 

In that Cinci game?

Overall 42.1

Pass Block 57.1

Run Block 18.1

The dude never had his heart in the game this year and it showed. 

Why didn't we replace his sorry ass with anyone. I don't care. Stick Doyle or Quessenberry (ugh) in there. Our IOL depth last year was embarrassing. But there's never a shortage of DL/ LB depth for Derm.

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I disagreed with your take on this last offseason.  I loved the settle signing.  He was 24 at the time coming off of his rookie contract.  Loved him @ VTech and loved what I had heard about him from some commanders fans I know.  They were upset about losing him.

that said-  what we got out of him last year was forgettable.  I thought Brandon Bryant played better than him tbh.  He proved to be just a guy.  He’s not bad- but, for a guy being paid 4m+ I didn’t think he gave us much more than a replacement player would’ve.  

you think he’s be cut this year?  Do we even save money?  I thought he had a 5M dead cap

I don't think he will be, but I don't think it is impossible.

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The only mystery is how the Bills hadn't worked this out before they signed him. Not like Titans games are blacked out or played on the moon.

The good news is that the Bills have a good athletic training staff and sports medicine staff.   The bad news is that they rely on said staff to project how players will be able to come back from injuries, and sometimes they're wrong.

Every new OL coach likes to bring in "his guys" who can player-coach the room and help cultivate respect for the coach's message.   These guys aren't necessarily the greatest talent as players.   I can't bring myself to name who was Juan Castillo's "guy".  Jon Feliciano was Bobby Johnson's "guy".   Rodger Saffold was Kromer's "guy".

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.