Who does Terry Pegula turn to for counsel when it comes to evaluating Beane & McDermott?

Nephilim17

21 minutes ago, Chaos said:

If I just get to pick, I would say Kyle Shanahan.   Depends on how you frame the question.  Seems Like Zac Thomas and Nick Siriano are off to pretty good starts.  I did not even know who either of those guys were 3 years ago.  

If losing in the divisional round of the playoffs is considered success, the risk of changing coaches is quite low.  As I mentioned in my other post, as long as Josh Allen is healthy, my preseason expectations for the Bills would be a minimum of reaching the divisional round of playoffs, with any head coach currently in the NFL.  People who think somehow changing coaches risk going back to the level of futility of the EJ Manuel / Tyrod Taylor / Ryan Fitzpatrick/Kyle Orton days are just silly. 

Agree that with JA17, most any coach would get Bills to playoffs.  From that standpoint, this coach won’t be considered great until he beats teams with comparable or better talent.  So far, this hasn’t happened in the playoffs.  On the other hand, as another poster asserted, he hasn’t  lost to a lesser team.  Also, as another poster suggested, the next 2 years will tell us a lot about our coach.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, PBF81 said:

BTW, quick curiosity question.  

We often hear people here and elsewhere say that the highly paid coaches and GMs know a lot better than we do.  While for some things that may be true, for others, many controversial things, it isn't despite opinions to the contrary.  

So my question to you is this;  Where on the "football knowledgeability scale" would you rank our "13 Seconds" debacle?    A few options are, that everyone knows that you don't give Mahomes/Kelce/Hill 25 yards of open space to work when they only need that for a reasonable FG try; every good coach would have done the same or similar;  only the most astute fans can even grasp that it was not a good decision given the tempo of the game;  most football minded fans know that it was a bad decision;  etc.   Put another way, how "football smart" does one have to be in order to have known, before hand, that doing what McD did was not a good idea?  

What say ye?  

Have a great weekend if we don't talk 'til Monday!!  :) 

You don’t  Have a communication error on KO

you don’t call TO in D and do the same thing. Levi Wallace and their alignment was a joke. 

I also believe you play man to man w another guy on tyreke and kelce. And everyone else is rushing and blitz / spy mahommes.

they ran a soft zone w 3 down DL

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ga boy said:

Agree usually with most of your takes  Other than Reid and the GOAT (I couldn’t stomach either), who do you think would do better?

Daboll with Dorsey as OC. I said this back when Daboll was on his way out after the defensive fiasco in KC that split the team up.

We should have kept Daboll to run the offense in an offensive league, kept Dorsey as OC & Assistant HC. Promoted Frazier to senior defensive consultant and brought in a new DC. Frazier would have likely just retired but that would be fine, too. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

McDermott has had a very average level of success since Josh Allen has blossomed into one of the leagues best QBs.  As a self styled hands off the offense guy, McDermott is not likely a primary reason Allen has become this top QB.   In my opinion, there is not a single NFL head coach, who given Allen and the rest of the Bills roster, would be expected to have lesser playoff results than McDermott has had.   He is just very average in the primary measure of success most head coaches are held too.  At this point he is just as likely to be Marvin Lewis or Jeff Fisher level of success, as he is to even rise to the level of Mike Tomlin success.   I don't have a magic pocket full of championship head coaches.  But attempts to sugar coat McDermott's playoff failures fall flat with me. 

I don't know what Pegula is looking for in a head coach.  If he is looking for a decent guy who doesn't embarrass him with personal problems or bad behavior in the press and who can put a competitive team on the field every season, he has his guy.    If he is looking for a guy who achieve optimal results for the brief window of time the Bills have a truly great QB, he may or may not have his guy. I don't think he needs advise to know what his goals are, and if they are being achieved or not.  My guess is that if McDermott finishes his career at the Jeff Fisher level, Mr. Pegula will be happy enough. 

The bolded is utter shite.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, boyst said:

Daboll with Dorsey as OC. I said this back when Daboll was on his way out after the defensive fiasco in KC that split the team up.

We should have kept Daboll to run the offense in an offensive league, kept Dorsey as OC & Assistant HC. Promoted Frazier to senior defensive consultant and brought in a new DC. Frazier would have likely just retired but that would be fine, too. 

This is essentially what I thought at the time as well. Really would have been something amazing.

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The bolded is utter shite.

In your opinion which is respected. But it's funny you have to capitalize that rebuffed statement with just saying Shite and no counter point beyond your emotional outburst.

But there is no bona fide coach who could have done less with this team. From Saleh to McDaniel, Shanahan to Vrabel. They're better then McChump, of course IMO.

If McDermott is coaching beyond next year then we will be committed to wasting the talent of the Josh Allen window. The style of play he has is maybe 5 years more at this point.

Edited by boyst
  • Disagree 3

9 minutes ago, boyst said:

In your opinion which is respected. But it's funny you have to capitalize that rebuffed statement with just saying Shite and no counter point beyond your emotional outburst.

But there is no bona fide coach who could have done less with this team. From Saleh to McDaniel, Shanahan to Vrabel. They're better then McChump, of course IMO.

If McDermott is coaching beyond next year then we will be committed to wasting the talent of the Josh Allen window. The style of play he has is maybe 5 years more at this point.

I have made my points to Chaos multiple times. He is tone deaf.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m unclear for this thread as no one knows who Terry reaches to for guidance, and if there is an inference we should drop Beane or McD,

it’s just ridiculous and won’t happen. 

How quickly people forget 17 years of misery in the drought.  Beane and McD rival Polian and Levy.  They haven’t made it to the big show yet, but I believe they can do it.

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I’m unclear for this thread as no one knows who Terry reaches to for guidance, and if there is an inference we should drop Beane or McD,

it’s just ridiculous and won’t happen. 

How quickly people forget 17 years of misery in the drought.  Beane and McD rival Polian and Levy.  They haven’t made it to the big show yet, but I believe they can do it.

I don't get into the "we should be grateful because without these guys there will be another 17 more years of drought" line of rationale........that was just ridiculous and a product of terrible stewardship by the owners of the team.  

But for people expecting McBeane to be fired.......it's just absurd if there isn't an absolute guaranteed super regime available to replace them.   If McDermott had been fired after the season his next HC contract would have exceeded $100M......whether this cycle or the next.    Once you prove you can turn around a true sh!t show dumpster-fire like the Ralph/Pegula-Bills you are going to be coveted.  

We are at a point now where McDermott is so familiar that some people......like @Chaos for example.......just see the negatives.   Familiarity breeds contempt.   So there are a lot of people with vague complaints that make little sense in the grand scheme.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't get into the "we should be grateful because without these guys there will be another 17 more years of drought" line of rationale........that was just ridiculous and a product of terrible stewardship by the owners of the team.  

But for people expecting McBeane to be fired.......it's just absurd if there isn't an absolute guaranteed super regime available to replace them.   If McDermott had been fired after the season his next HC contract would have exceeded $100M......whether this cycle or the next.    Once you prove you can turn around a true sh!t show dumpster-fire like the Ralph/Pegula-Bills you are going to be coveted.  

We are at a point now where McDermott is so familiar that some people......like @Chaos for example.......just see the negatives.   Familiarity breeds contempt.   So there are a lot of people with vague complaints that make little sense in the grand scheme.

Badoll, I don’t always agree with you, but I do here.  We’ll written my fellows Bills fan.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/19/2023 at 9:01 PM, ProcessTruster said:

Barrring some injury-related roster disasters, pretty sure we are looking at a Tomlin - like  run for McBeanes.   55-21 start is way better than Tomlin's (who hasn't delivered crap in over 10 years) career record and they are just getting started.   Trust the Process.  Go Bills.  

Tomlin won a SB in his second season.  He went to a second two seasons later.  We've only made it past the divisional round once, and then we got smoked by the Chiefs.  He started 55-25.  I'd trade that in an instant for what we have.  

21 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

13 seconds was coaching. I have never implied differently. The Bengals game was on the players much more than on the coaches. They just laid an egg and played their worst game of the entire season. You could have had Bill Belichick and Bill Walsh calljng plays it wouldn't have mattered. The players were awful. They have to own that. 

The much discussed short yardage call was a cover 0 no safety help with the corners off. It didn't work, it was probably the wrong playcall. But people have obsessed over it. What about every other down in that game? The Bills played with zero energy. Josh looked like a zombie. They sucked.

I have never defended, dismissed, or overlooked 13 seconds. It was a complete choke... fron the decision not to squib on... and whatever the reasons for that they all come back to the Head Coach.

Where we differ is you take 13 second and extrapolate McDermott's entire reign from that moment. I look at the body of work. Thinking Greggo is a better coach than him or that he is in the Jauron camp is, I am afraid, insanity.

You didn't answer the question.  I'll ask it again.  

Where on the "football knowledgeability scale" would you rank our "13 Seconds" debacle?    A few options are, that everyone knows that you don't give Mahomes/Kelce/Hill 25 yards of open space to work when they only need that for a reasonable FG try; every good coach would have done the same or similar;  only the most astute fans can even grasp that it was not a good decision given the tempo of the game;  most football minded fans know that it was a bad decision;  etc.   Put another way, how "football smart" does one have to be in order to have known, before hand, that doing what McD did was not a good idea?  

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Tomlin won a SB in his second season.  He went to a second two seasons later.  We've only made it past the divisional round once, and then we got smoked by the Chiefs.  He started 55-25.  I'd trade that in an instant for what we have.  

You didn't answer the question.  I'll ask it again.  

Where on the "football knowledgeability scale" would you rank our "13 Seconds" debacle?    A few options are, that everyone knows that you don't give Mahomes/Kelce/Hill 25 yards of open space to work when they only need that for a reasonable FG try; every good coach would have done the same or similar;  only the most astute fans can even grasp that it was not a good decision given the tempo of the game;  most football minded fans know that it was a bad decision;  etc.   Put another way, how "football smart" does one have to be in order to have known, before hand, that doing what McD did was not a good idea?  

I don't know what the "football knowledgability scale" is. The Bills screwed the pooch and ultimately it was on coaching. From the decision not to squib to the coverages, to the time out usage. All were mistakes. 

I would say most football fans know that the best clock strategy there is to make KC use some time on the return. So most could probably have got that right. 

However, most football fans don't have a clue about coverage schemes. So while most will say they knew that was wrong if actually asked for a coverage that they'd have played in that scenario most would shrug and ask for another beer.

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't know what the "football knowledgability scale" is. The Bills screwed the pooch and ultimately it was on coaching. From the decision not to squib to the coverages, to the time out usage. All were mistakes. 

I would say most football fans know that the best clock strategy there is to make KC use some time on the return. So most could probably have got that right. 

However, most football fans don't have a clue about coverage schemes. So while most will say they knew that was wrong if actually asked for a coverage that they'd have played in that scenario most would shrug and ask for another beer.

To be fair you could’ve squibbed it 

And the returning team just falls on it at the 25 or 30… Giving them selves up and no time comes off the clock

If you pooch it really high… You could just fair catch it at the 20-25

And if it goes over your head at the 15… Let it roll into the end zone

Of course there is a chance that The returner let’s it bounce over his head and the ball dies before the endzone but it’s luck of bounce 

Edited by Buffalo716

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.