Who does Terry Pegula turn to for counsel when it comes to evaluating Beane & McDermott?

Nephilim17

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

Also for instance, put Allen on the teams that Bledsoe had, or Williams' teams, and IMO Brady and Belichick are short three SBs and we have 'em.  

So 2002 was my first season watching the Bills and watching the NFL. I don't remember thinking the Bills were very good but my understanding of what I was watching then was pretty rudimentary so I am not going to pound the table for my view. I am 100% confident in saying from 2004 onwards Sean McDermott would have got AT LEAST one (and in some years more than 1) extra win out of every roster. From 2004 to 2016.

6 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Well, I 100% agree I am lacking in football "expertise" as I'm a fan, not a professional team employee. That said, I never touted myself to be an expert.

My comments on expertise was not to question your football knowledge.  More of well if Terry doesn't know if  hes happy with the direction the team is heading while having all the info he needs as to what we as fans can only speculate on (exactly how much Josh's injury impacted on gameplans), no one on this message board could know who Terry goes to for advice.  I think he makes the decisions himself and it's why he has weekly meetings with Beane and meetings with McD as well. Not to be a meddling owner but to build his instincts of when a change is needed.  He certainly learned that just throwing money at players doesn't guarantee a winning team in his first few years owning the Sabres.  However the issue that came up with the injury to Eichel I could see that leading to Terry insisting the Bills do more to protect Josh and even Terry asking Josh to take fewer risks when it's not a critical play in a given game.  

In fact, a careful look at my original post will show that I'm asking questions, not telling people here what Terry is or should be doing. I think when someone asks questions they're looking to become informed, not trying to convince others that they are an expert and know what's best.

Also, I'm not suggesting that Terry fires Beane and/or McDermott, I'm merely asking when it's time to make decisions on those men (for an extension, after a championship win, after missing the playoffs — there are many positive and negative and neutral reasons when a decision may be needed), does Terry make this decision by himself.

No one except Terry can give you the correct answer.  Yes it would be interesting to know but it's not info I expect we will ever know.  I would love to have access to read Queen Elizabeth Ii personal diary of thoughts she felt important enough to make note of as a history buff.  I gather her journals are sealed for a number of years in the distant future which I don't expect I'll be alive for.  So I just have to accept never knowing those facts that I certainly would find interesting.  

I've seen a lot of differing answers:
1) No, Terry pays professional consulting firms to help him.

2) Yes, it's all him as he owns the team.

3) No, he has relationships with many other owners and league execs and relies on them for advice (this doesn't mean, however, that he doesn't make the final decision).

4) Kim was a big part of this but now she's not able to fulfill this role.

5) Certain posters here should be consulted when making executive decisions. :)

I don't know the answer and I'm not giving any; I just thought it was an interesting question to consider.

That's the same for everyone here unless they are someone that knows Terry well enough that Terry would answer truthfully if asked by them.  Otherwise all the answers given are random speculations.  I speculate Terry researches and seeks guidance from sources he trusts based on how he researches anything he doesn't already have an answer for.  

My choice amongst those u listed is #3.  While I was always mechanically inclined since I was a child I never really did alot of work on cars.  However once I was in the Air Force and when my car wouldn't start, I asked other techs I worked with for any advice on troubleshooting what was wrong.  It took me all of 10 minutes to know I had a dead altenator and as my car was a standard I was able to jump it temporarily by popping the clutch after getting it moving enough to bypass the dead alternator until I got to a auto parts store where I got a replacement that I installed myself.  Within a month a friend if mine had similar issues which took me 1 minute to troubleshoot as I had that knowledge and whenever my friend had a question she'd ask me first as I earned her trust in that regard even knowing I wasn't a car mechanic I knew enough to get the answers I needed when they are needed.  I expect most people also make decisions much the same based on their experiences.

2 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Reid made it to a Superbowl after 3 straight NFC Championship games.  Carrol and Tomlin won a Superbowl.  Mcdermott could very well become Tony Dungy.

So he'll get fired and then win a SB somewhere else?

Edited by WhoTom
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Nonsense. McDermott won 9 games with a bad team. McDermott with Jauron's roster wins more games than Jauron. Why? Because he is a much better football coach. 

Of course having Josh Allen is the difference between a team that wins 9 or 10 games and a team that can win 13 or 14. That is absolutely right. But Sean McDermott had a bang average roster and a backup level QB and won 9 games and made the playoffs. The proof is right there.

I could also see him do well with a qb like Fitzpatrick who at least would try to hit his receivers where it actually could make a difference whereas Tyrod was too timid to hurt his stats.  I won't fault Tyrod after all protecting the ball and limiting his turnovers was part of what made him serviceable and he made a nice bit of coin and a pension for his career.  But replace tyrod with Fittzon McDs Tyrod team I think he'd have clinched playoffs without any help from Andy Dalton.  But then we probably don't have the picks to trade up for Allen and we'd still be looking for our franchise QB.  Hard to know what that change would have done.  Would KC have managed a trade for Mahomes if pick 10 was another teams pick.  Maybe the Bills pick a few slots down and Mahomes gets picked by a team other than KC.  

11 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Terry is a hockey fan from PA. Kim is a professional athlete and a lifelong Bills fan who grew up in WNY. I agree that she has managed the business operations, but there's no doubt that she's got some football acumen - probably more than he does.

Kim is not and tmk never was a professional athlete.......that would be her daughter Jessica.

Neither of Terry or Kim had any football acumen.   They lived in Orchard Park for years, including the SB years,  and yet the first Bills game they ever attended was AFTER they bought the team.  

They were the casual-est of fans.......if you can even call it that.

I'm just telling you what Terry has said........that he dove into researching the game of football like he did his business.    He's been very hands on with the hockey organization for years.  As president of PSE Kim was assigned the job of overseeing the business affairs of the teams.   That's a relatively big job.  Maybe she has mastered X's and O's as well but I kinda' doubt it.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

15 hours ago, Gregg said:

If Bill and the Pats ever part ways, then I would kick McDermott to the curb in a NY minute. Bill has had "some success" with an elite level franchise QB. Back to reality both Beane and McDermott are safe, and it probably would take a really bad season to get them canned like 3-14, 4-13 type bad. I am just a fan, so my opinion is completely meaningless.

I would need a shower and a gargle of strong mouthwash after every single game if that ever happened.

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yuck. Yuck. Yuck. No Head Coach loses big games to teams they have more talent than more often than Jim Harbaugh. I'd rather re-hire Marrone than that mug. 

Marv lost a few. That 90s team also takes the cake for "underachieving". And that was pre-salary cap. The Manning led Colts underachieved. The Brees led Saints....Steelers, Packers, on and on. Apparently, winning in the NFL is hard.

12 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Absolutely correct.  Look at the way Tom Brady's career was ruined by a defensive-minded head coach.  Great QBs need offensive head coaches to succeed in the NFL.

Oh, wait a second.  Maybe argument by anecdote doesn't work.  And maybe, just maybe, QBs can thrive under defensive head coaches.  

Two other situations people like to ignore with the growing narrative you need an offensive minded head coach to get the most out of an elite QB's window......

-Drew Brees winning only one in 14 seasons under Sean Peyton. 

-Aaron Rodgers winning only one in 11 season with Rodgers as the starter under Mike McCarthy.  Then zero in his four years under LaFluer.

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Two other situations people like to ignore with the growing narrative you need an offensive minded head coach to get the most out of an elite QB's window......

-Drew Brees winning only one in 14 seasons under Sean Peyton. 

-Aaron Rodgers winning only one in 11 season with Rodgers as the starter under Mike McCarthy.  Then zero in his four years under LaFluer.

Yea the offensive genius that is Belichick would like a word about needing an offensive minded coach to win Multiple SBs.  Of course the 2 times his team lost in SB was when faced with the historical offensive genius coaching the offensive powerhouse that iis vintage Giants football.  I hope your sarcasm detectors are going off reading this.  

It takes a HC that specialized in STif you want to advance to the SB. I still think they should have promoted Bobby April to be the Bills HC in the early 2000's.  That's what started the playoffs drought.  Once they get the team to the SB then they need to let the OC gameplan for the SB win.   

Edited by AuntieEm

11 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Yea the offensive genius that is Belichick would like a word about needing an offensive minded coach to win Multiple SBs.  Of course the 2 times his team lost in SB was when faced with the historical offensive genius coaching the offensive powerhouse that iis vintage Giants football.  I hope your sarcasm detectors are going off reading this.  

Tom Brady's pick six against the Greatest Show on Turf will go down as one of the all time great plays in Super Bowl history.

8 hours ago, RiotAct said:

I would need a shower and a gargle of strong mouthwash after every single game if that ever happened.

If he wins a Super Bowl with Allen (HE WOULD IMHO) every Bills fan would love the guy. 

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, PBF81 said:

What I said in the post that you responded to, again, ... 

Allen easily adds 4+ wins to any team that doesn't have a top QB in mine and many other peoples' opinions, it's not a reach by any means.  

So, as a case in point, take the 2009 team, the one where Fewell finished the season at HC for Jauron.   We were 6-10.  10 wins makes the playoffs.  Convert just the 5 games we lost by 7 or fewer points to wins and we not only make the playoffs but win the division at 11-5.  

Put McD on that team and it finishes no better than it did.  I wouldn't even say those 6 wins.  

Ummmm....

McDermott won 9 games in 2017 with Tyrod Taylor as QB and below are in order are the leading receptions that year.  You're reading this right.

• Lesean McCoy
  • Charles Clay
  • Deonte Thompson
  • Zay Jones
  • Jordan Matthews
  • Nick O'Leary
  • Kelvin Benjamin

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Kim is not and tmk never was a professional athlete.......that would be her daughter Jessica.

Neither of Terry or Kim had any football acumen.   They lived in Orchard Park for years, including the SB years,  and yet the first Bills game they ever attended was AFTER they bought the team.  

They were the casual-est of fans.......if you can even call it that.

I'm just telling you what Terry has said........that he dove into researching the game of football like he did his business.    He's been very hands on with the hockey organization for years.  As president of PSE Kim was assigned the job of overseeing the business affairs of the teams.   That's a relatively big job.  Maybe she has mastered X's and O's as well but I kinda' doubt it.

My mistake on the athlete part. I thought I had read that she was a tennis player, although not as good as her daughter. I guess not.

As for the fandom, she was a football cheerleader in school and her Bills page bio says that the Comeback Game is her fondest childhood sports memory.

And I wasn't suggesting that she's mastered the Xs and Os of football, but that she knew enough to be a sounding board for Terry on the football side, as well as the business side.

45 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Ummmm....

McDermott won 9 games in 2017 with Tyrod Taylor as QB and below are in order are the leading receptions that year.  You're reading this right.

• Lesean McCoy
  • Charles Clay
  • Deonte Thompson
  • Zay Jones
  • Jordan Matthews
  • Nick O'Leary
  • Kelvin Benjamin

Pretty incredible. Dude came in and gave the franchise a winning culture right away.

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.