Who does Terry Pegula turn to for counsel when it comes to evaluating Beane & McDermott?

Nephilim17

16 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

When the team is doing well and/or exceeding general expectations, as it has done the past few years, minus, probably, last season, this question is kind of moot.

But if and when the team is not meeting expectations or things get complicated, is there anyone in Pegula's circle of friends or trusted business associates (at arm's length from Bills operations) who he can turn to for advice and counsel on questions related to extensions, evaluations, or possible firings?

I'm not trying to be negative; I hope McBean lead us to multiple championships... but if things don't go as well as we hope — and with an elite QB things should mean serious contention for a Super Bowl — is Terry on his own or who advises him? 

Pegula seems, obviously, like a sharp businessman, but he doesn't strike me as a football expert. Maybe I'm wrong but I expect him to turn to someone if and when he needs to make tough decisions.

Beane and McDermott ARE his inner circle!!!  That’s who people don’t understand.  Outside of Terry himself, they are the two most powerful people at One Bills Drive.  I’d argue McDermott is probably #1 which makes the “hot seat” narrative laughable.   Want more evidence?  Look at how Terry dealt with coaches/GM’s with the Sabres… he’s not going to fire either McDermott or Beane any time soon.

As far as who Terry consults with, the rumors were that he used to speak with Bill Polian frequently.  It was also rumored that there was a deal to bring Polian to Buffalo in a Parcells-like president role in 2014.  I wouldn’t be shocked if Polian was the guy advising him not to fire Whaley until after the draft - which is a textbook “football guy” move.   

I was open to Sean Peyton this past offseason.  I feel like Mcdermott calling the plays on defense is not an accident for 2023.  I think with a healthy Hyde, Poyer, White, and Miller the defense will be better.  I think Kincaid helps fill the role left without Beasley.  If Buffalo does not make a Superbowl this year Mcdermott is on a hot seat sort of.  

By sort of is there a perceived upgrade available for a non football guy?  An offensive mind and a Lombardi on there resume.  The Rams will miss the playoffs and are a total rebuild.  If Buffalo has a similar exit in the playoffs like the last 2 years I offer 2 1s and 3 for Mcvay.  A Superbowl appearance its a 2 and a win its 1.  F the window win a chip.  Down the line you can make trades older guys for more picks.  

• Dislike 1

7 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Ultimately, I think McDermott and Beane are both safe if they can make it to the Divisional round again. Regardless of game result. If they bow out in the WC, it would be really hard not to want to make a change regardless of combined regular season record over multiple seasons. 

Andy Reid had to miss the playoffs altogether for two years before he was replaced.  Tomlin hangs on in Pitt.  Pete Carroll missed twice and was one and done three times in the last six years.

It very much depends on the owner's philosophy.  

1 hour ago, ExWNYer said:

That's a stiff reprimand. 'Weenie' was used in a response earlier but since your 'weiner' was in the same vein, I will try not to be too hard on you.

you know I would prefer you soften it up with what you are doing here, people may take it the wrong way and it could hurt

1 minute ago, phypon said:

Stop being such a sauerkraut. :P 

anyone who enjoys a weiner with sauerkraut on it has some serious problems 

dont ever call me that again!

Im chill cheese, you are sour!

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think this response was perfect.  Way to be firm with your delivery.  

arent you asian?

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Andy Reid had to miss the playoffs altogether for two years before he was replaced.  Tomlin hangs on in Pitt.  Pete Carroll missed twice and was one and done three times in the last six years.

It very much depends on the owner's philosophy.  

Reid made it to a Superbowl after 3 straight NFC Championship games.  Carrol and Tomlin won a Superbowl.  Mcdermott could very well become Tony Dungy.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Which was what?

What I said in the post that you responded to, again, ... 

Outside the QB position, numerous teams that didn't make the playoffs during out drought years were better than what we have on the field today or have during Beane's watch.  

If we had the opportunity to swap one or more of those teams wholesale, while keeping Allen, we'd have a stronger team with some of those swaps.  

It's incredibly difficult to imagine even those 6-10 or 7-9 teams making the playoffs with Allen at the helm.  That's the point.  It's easy to envision Marrone's or Mularkey's 9-7 teams finishing 13-3 or better had they had Allen.  Does that mean that Mularky or Marrone were good coaches?  No.  But their teams overall had better talent at the other 23 positions, generally speaking.  

Allen easily adds 4+ wins to any team that doesn't have a top QB in mine and many other peoples' opinions, it's not a reach by any means.  

So, as a case in point, take the 2009 team, the one where Fewell finished the season at HC for Jauron.   We were 6-10.  10 wins makes the playoffs.  Convert just the 5 games we lost by 7 or fewer points to wins and we not only make the playoffs but win the division at 11-5.  

Put McD on that team and it finishes no better than it did.  I wouldn't even say those 6 wins.  

• Dislike 1

17 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

His God 

Have we reached peak off-season yet with this thread?

Probably not 

Not even close to peak off-season. 

once we start the Antonio Brown is in Buffalo threads after his debut as receiver on his own team THATS peak-get-er done Beane season!

🤣

• Haha (+1) 1

I’m really not sure where this thread was intended to go, but I still don’t see how Pegula is any different than the Owner of any other company. He makes decisions at the upper most level, and I’m guessing not all that much about football, but more about management personnel….which is different. 

12 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

What I said in the post that you responded to, again, ... 

Allen easily adds 4+ wins to any team that doesn't have a top QB in mine and many other peoples' opinions, it's not a reach by any means.  

So, as a case in point, take the 2009 team, the one where Fewell finished the season at HC for Jauron.   We were 6-10.  10 wins makes the playoffs.  Convert just the 5 games we lost by 7 or fewer points to wins and we not only make the playoffs but win the division at 11-5.  

Put McD on that team and it finishes no better than it did.  I wouldn't even say those 6 wins.  

Nonsense. McDermott won 9 games with a bad team. McDermott with Jauron's roster wins more games than Jauron. Why? Because he is a much better football coach. 

Of course having Josh Allen is the difference between a team that wins 9 or 10 games and a team that can win 13 or 14. That is absolutely right. But Sean McDermott had a bang average roster and a backup level QB and won 9 games and made the playoffs. The proof is right there.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Which was what?

Also for instance, put Allen on the teams that Bledsoe had, or Williams' teams, and IMO Brady and Belichick are short three SBs and we have 'em.  

Edited by PBF81

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I mean it's incredibly subjective, but sure. I am not sure what it will prove though.

Well, prove may be a strong word to use, but it might allow us to reasonably infer that he can count to 10 which as of right now we don't really have evidence of..

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.