Who does Terry Pegula turn to for counsel when it comes to evaluating Beane & McDermott?

Nephilim17

12 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Allen has turned the Bills around from being a laughing stock.  Most of or past coaches would have done the same, some that got 9 wins without him.  

Those two have underachieved, I suppose it's possible that they don't continue to underachieve, but i'd say is unlikely.  

Err only four coaches between Jim and Josh managed 9 wins. Wade Phillips (twice in three seasons), Mike Mularkey (once in two seasons), Doug Marrone (once in two seasons) and Sean McDermott (once in one season). 

The only year that I think McDermott has underachieved as Bills coach was 2021. They underachieved in the regular season, then still got hot at the right time in the post-season then blew it. In 2022 I think given the injuries they had all year 13-3 and a playoff win was probably a slight overachievement, despite the disappointing ending.  

2 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

Sean McDermott does

With Josh Allen McDermott's playoff losses were to a Houston team that had Watson, Hopkins and Watt; twice to a Chiefs team with Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, Jones and Mathieu; and to a Bengals team with Burrow, Higgins, Chase and Boyd. 

I am not sure which of those you think the Bills were clearly more talented than. But they were all at best a wash IMO. 

• Like (+1) 1

There is a very real chance this could be McDermott's final year. If the Bills go backwards for the third consecutive year from AFC Championship game appearance, to close divisional road game loss in OT, to blown out in divisional home game to, losing WC game or worse, that is often a recipe for coaching changes. Even Super Bowl winning coaches commonly get fired after multiple tailing off seasons. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Listen guys, I like McDermott — a lot. I'm about as big of a McDermott apologist as there is. 

That being said, history suggests that McDermott and Allen will not win a Super Bowl together. Hell, history suggests that McDermott and Allen will not even get to a Super Bowl together...

Allen and McDermott are going into year 6 as Head Coach and starting QB. No starting QB and Head Coach pairing have ever won their first Super Bowl after being together for 5 seasons. It's crazy, but true. History strongly indicates that 5 seasons is the maximum number of years a starting QB and Head Coach should be given to win a Super Bowl together. 

I hate to say this, but I do think that if the Bills don't win the Super Bowl this year, replacing McDermott would be justified. 

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

She's definitely the football brain of the operation. My understanding is that her cognitive function is okay, but she has trouble communicating. That certainly precludes her from being the face of the franchise, and I'm guessing her therapy prevents her from engaging in the team's day-to-day activities, but she could still be a valuable resource in the OP's scenario.

I think Kim is probably focusing on her recovery. She certainly should be. And she can’t be involved in the day to day activities like she used to be. It is a shame, but it is what it is. 

Just now, MPL said:

Listen guys, I like McDermott — a lot. I'm about as big of a McDermott apologist as there is. 

That being said, history suggests that McDermott and Allen will not win a Super Bowl together. Hell, history suggests that McDermott and Allen will not even get to a Super Bowl together...

Allen and McDermott are going into year 6 as Head Coach and starting QB. No starting QB and Head Coach pairing have ever won their first Super Bowl after being together for 5 seasons. It's crazy, but true. History strongly indicates that 5 seasons is the maximum number of years a starting QB and Head Coach should be given to win a Super Bowl together. 

I hate to say this, but I do think that if the Bills don't win the Super Bowl this year, replacing McDermott would be justified. 

What about Beane. Do you replace him, or does he get the chance to hire the next HC assuming the Bills do move on from McDermott.

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He doesn't seek counsel from anyone. Terry makes decisions. He hired Rex against advice. He fired him (and indeed almost fired him after 1 season). He hired McDermott when Whaley wanted to continue searching. The only decision where it appears he took advice was hiring Beane on McDermott's say so. 

I doubt your correct about that.   He's a successful CEO you're correct, and he makes decisions.   That's what CEOs do.   

But successful CEOs also seek advice and listen to others they respect, and I'd be surprised if Terry Pegula is any different.   He may not have had anyone to turn to when he and Kim first took over the Bills, but he's been around the block a few times now, and I'm sure he's developed a network of people in the business.

When he bought the team, he hired a consulting company with serious expertise and buying and selling NFL franchises.   That is, he got help making decisions to buy the team.   That was his introduction to the inside.  His consultants certainly knew people in the league, both on the league management side and the team management side, because that's the business they are in.   

Pegula has been going to owners meetings for nearly a decade now, and he's worked on committees and shared his ideas with others.   He undoubtedly has relationships, probably a few really good relationships, with other owners.   They talk about running their teams, and about who they rely on.   The owners have access, so if one of Terry's friends tells him to talk to so-and-so, Terry can pick up the phone and call him.  

Pegula works regularly with his senior staff, including McDermott and Beane.  Over the course of their working relationships, he's learned what McDermott and Beane think about other people around the league, particularly coaches and GMs.  The coaches and GMs show up at the combine, at owners meetings, and other events, and Pegula surely has met some of them and probably developed informal relationships with at least some. 

Think about all of the casual conversations he's had with people in his own organization who have seen a lot in the league.  Forget about what you think about how well they did their jobs; just think about the experiences they've had in the league that they may have shared with Pegula.   Leslie Frazier - decades in the league.  Rex Ryan - decades in the league, and lifetime of experiences through his father.   Marv Levy.  Doug Whaley, who grew up in the Steelers organization.   McDermott and his history in the Eagles organization.   Kyle Williams.  Von Miller.   Ryan FItzpatrick.  Jim Kelly.  Bruce Smith.  

Point is, by this point in Pegula's ownership cycle, he knows, is acquainted with, and has access to a lot of people with deep knowledge about pro football.  I would be amazed if he hasn't had conversations with some about how to evaluate your senior management and how to know when it's time to pull the trigger.   Rather, I suspect he's spent a lot of time talking to a lot of people about how they do their jobs, including how to make decisions about coaches and GMs.   He just doesn't talk about it on Twitter.  

I seriously doubt that Pegula is thinking, at all, about whether he needs a new head coach, but if he ever begin thinking seriously in that direction, I'm sure he knows plenty of people he can and would go to for advice.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

Right now, both the Bills and Sabres have good management groups in place. As for the football side of things let Beane and McDermott run the show. Terry can handle the business side of things. Its previous obvious now that the Sabres have the right people in place as well. Next year fans should see playoffs in both football and hockey. Hopefully a Super Bowl championship as well. Give the Sabres a few years to learn how to win in the playoffs before any realistic expectations of winning a Cup.

I think that’s correct so I don’t see any imminent decisions on GMs and coaches, though I really don’t follow the Sabres. The next Bills GM/HC decision is probably a year and a half away. Beane and McDermott are signed through 2025 so an extension likely would get done toward the end of the 2024 season/league year. Unless the Bills win a SB this season, then they’d get one immediately after that. If they aren’t extended, then after the 2024 season is when I’d expect them to be replaced. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

She's definitely the football brain of the operation. My understanding is that her cognitive function is okay, but she has trouble communicating. That certainly precludes her from being the face of the franchise, and I'm guessing her therapy prevents her from engaging in the team's day-to-day activities, but she could still be a valuable resource in the OP's scenario.

I'd say she is definitely not the football brain of the operation.   Kim has basically always worked for Terry and relationships like that rarely flip 180 degrees.   He bought the toys to enjoy them and her role was managing the less fun day to day business activities while he has been learning about the sports that he bought into.      

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, MPL said:

History also strongly indicated that Andy Reid would never win a Super Bowl because he didn't do it in his first 20 years.  Has any NFL coach been a HC for 20 years and then won it?  If there is, I don't know about it.

History also strongly indicated that a team hosting a Super Bowl will never win a Super Bowl....then it happened two years in a row with the Bucs and Rams.

You can manipulate numbers to fit pretty much anything.

13 minutes ago, arcane said:

If I were terry I would turn to his 41 wins over the last 3 seasons, one of 2 teams to win a playoff game each of the last 3 years etc. 

Ultimately, I think McDermott and Beane are both safe if they can make it to the Divisional round again. Regardless of game result. If they bow out in the WC, it would be really hard not to want to make a change regardless of combined regular season record over multiple seasons. 

• Disagree 1

29 minutes ago, KingBoots8 said:

Obviously he turns to the message board at Two Bills Drive - the largest group of coaching and GM experts congregating together.

Could you see the Bills with the likes of @NUT and @Airseven making decisions?

And you think the Browns and Texans are laughingstocks...

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

he turns to people definitely smarter than you. Settled? 

I don't know JP.....I don't think that the OP's premise was so outrageous. Don't misunderstand..... I am not crazy about McDermott, but; I am NOT calling for him to be fired at this point. 

Still, the OP asks a fair question imo. 

Edited by Bill from NYC

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

History also strongly indicated that Andy Reid would never win a Super Bowl because he didn't do it in his first 20 years.  Has any NFL coach been a HC for 20 years and then won it?  If there is, I don't know about it.

History also strongly indicated that a team hosting a Super Bowl will never win a Super Bowl....then it happened two years in a row with the Bucs and Rams.

You can manipulate numbers to fit pretty much anything.

Oh, for sure. I'm not saying it can't be done, or that just because it's never happened before that it never will. I think it's an interesting philosophical question based on over 50 years of data. I think that when you have a coach and QB pairing that is building but hasn't gotten over the hump for 5 seasons, there becomes a very real mental hurdle to clear in additional to all the physical hurdles a team has to clear over the course of a season. 

Andy Reid is an interesting case study. 

Andy Reid and McNabb made a Super Bowl together in their 6th season together, losing to the Patriots. They never came close again after that. 
In Kansas City, Reid and Alex Smith were close for 5 years but couldn't get over the hump together. After those 5 seasons, the Mahomes/Reid era began, which was finally enough to get Reid his first ring. 

Again, I'm not saying there's a science to it. I just find that 5 year number to be fascinating. 

11 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I doubt your correct about that.   He's a successful CEO you're correct, and he makes decisions.   That's what CEOs do.   

But successful CEOs also seek advice and listen to others they respect, and I'd be surprised if Terry Pegula is any different.   He may not have had anyone to turn to when he and Kim first took over the Bills, but he's been around the block a few times now, and I'm sure he's developed a network of people in the business.

When he bought the team, he hired a consulting company with serious expertise and buying and selling NFL franchises.   That is, he got help making decisions to buy the team.   That was his introduction to the inside.  His consultants certainly knew people in the league, both on the league management side and the team management side, because that's the business they are in.   

Pegula has been going to owners meetings for nearly a decade now, and he's worked on committees and shared his ideas with others.   He undoubtedly has relationships, probably a few really good relationships, with other owners.   They talk about running their teams, and about who they rely on.   The owners have access, so if one of Terry's friends tells him to talk to so-and-so, Terry can pick up the phone and call him.  

Pegula works regularly with his senior staff, including McDermott and Beane.  Over the course of their working relationships, he's learned what McDermott and Beane think about other people around the league, particularly coaches and GMs.  The coaches and GMs show up at the combine, at owners meetings, and other events, and Pegula surely has met some of them and probably developed informal relationships with at least some. 

Think about all of the casual conversations he's had with people in his own organization who have seen a lot in the league.  Forget about what you think about how well they did their jobs; just think about the experiences they've had in the league that they may have shared with Pegula.   Leslie Frazier - decades in the league.  Rex Ryan - decades in the league, and lifetime of experiences through his father.   Marv Levy.  Doug Whaley, who grew up in the Steelers organization.   McDermott and his history in the Eagles organization.   Kyle Williams.  Von Miller.   Ryan FItzpatrick.  Jim Kelly.  Bruce Smith.  

Point is, by this point in Pegula's ownership cycle, he knows, is acquainted with, and has access to a lot of people with deep knowledge about pro football.  I would be amazed if he hasn't had conversations with some about how to evaluate your senior management and how to know when it's time to pull the trigger.   Rather, I suspect he's spent a lot of time talking to a lot of people about how they do their jobs, including how to make decisions about coaches and GMs.   He just doesn't talk about it on Twitter.  

I seriously doubt that Pegula is thinking, at all, about whether he needs a new head coach, but if he ever begin thinking seriously in that direction, I'm sure he knows plenty of people he can and would go to for advice.  

That was a lot of words to say almost nothing, IMO.   Obviously he talks to other people in his line of business.   What the OP is asking is who does Terry Pegula go to whom he will heed their advice to make decisions.   As @GunnerBill noted.......Terry Pegula very much appears to makes his own decisions for better or worse.   I don't believe he was "advised" to pay $1.4B for the Bills either.   He probably did it against his financial advisor's advice.........the man who tried to talk him out of getting into sports in the first place, as the story went.   

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.