Who does Terry Pegula turn to for counsel when it comes to evaluating Beane & McDermott?

Nephilim17

When the team is doing well and/or exceeding general expectations, as it has done the past few years, minus, probably, last season, this question is kind of moot.

But if and when the team is not meeting expectations or things get complicated, is there anyone in Pegula's circle of friends or trusted business associates (at arm's length from Bills operations) who he can turn to for advice and counsel on questions related to extensions, evaluations, or possible firings?

I'm not trying to be negative; I hope McBean lead us to multiple championships... but if things don't go as well as we hope — and with an elite QB things should mean serious contention for a Super Bowl — is Terry on his own or who advises him? 

Pegula seems, obviously, like a sharp businessman, but he doesn't strike me as a football expert. Maybe I'm wrong but I expect him to turn to someone if and when he needs to make tough decisions.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

When the team is doing well and/or exceeding general expectations, as it has done the past few years, minus, probably, last season, this question is kind of moot.

But if and when the team is not meeting expectations or things get complicated, is there anyone in Pegula's circle of friends or trusted business associates (at arm's length from Bills operations) who he can turn to for advice and counsel on questions related to extensions, evaluations, or possible firings?

I'm not trying to be negative; I hope McBean lead us to multiple championships... but if things don't go as well as we hope — and with an elite QB things should mean serious contention for a Super Bowl — is Terry on his own or who advises him? 

Pegula seems, obviously, like a sharp businessman, but he doesn't strike me as a football expert. Maybe I'm wrong but I expect him to turn to someone if and when he needs to make tough decisions.

he turns to people definitely smarter than you. Settled? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 5
  • Haha (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

There’s firms and stuff owners hire.

Ive said this before though, don’t expect McDermott to be fired after 1 losing season. It’s going to take multiple losing seasons. 

And I’ll add my opinion. The Bills would be absolutely stupid to think about firing McDermott until they have a losing season.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I have no idea but he seems more on the conservative side that it'll take at least two losing seasons to fire McDermott and Beane imo.  They've both built up enough of a successful tenure here so far to deserve that long of a leash imo.  I think that both would be fired at the same time (unlike Ryan and Whaley) if he were to ever make that move.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4

He doesn't seek counsel from anyone. Terry makes decisions. He hired Rex against advice. He fired him (and indeed almost fired him after 1 season). He hired McDermott when Whaley wanted to continue searching. The only decision where it appears he took advice was hiring Beane on McDermott's say so. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, NUT said:

He should already be gone, he's the wrong coach for Allen. The Reid-Mahomes combo proves this.

It doesn’t prove anything - it’s not a fact.

It’s one singular instance of a really good offensive coach with a really good QB. 

Conceptual misunderstanding. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Done pretty good so far. I’m not really sure how a Reid Mahomes combo proves anything? But if Pegula can get Andy Reid then I’m all for it.

If Bill and the Pats ever part ways, then I would kick McDermott to the curb in a NY minute. Bill has had "some success" with an elite level franchise QB. Back to reality both Beane and McDermott are safe, and it probably would take a really bad season to get them canned like 3-14, 4-13 type bad. I am just a fan, so my opinion is completely meaningless.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

to your point, he doesnt have a VP with the Sabres and Bills, but he does have one at PSE, Executive VP Ron Raccuia, which is a bit odd as the those teams gen the big revenue but the track record of GMs and coaches is littered with road kill, NDAs, and a decade of learning the hard way, so he learned to trust, who ?

Kim, but she seems to be incapacitated on the road to recovery hopefully...his kids are a bit young to make inner circle big decisions and dont have experience but neither did KIm...so is it Raccuia or just him collecting info, being conservative, and figuring it out in his own, which means doing nothing much other than counting his profits and where to re-invest.

7 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Man are you going to get flamed for this. But it’s a far more legitimate question than most here will admit. Kim Pegula’s serious health problems have taken away half of the brain trust at the top of the Bills and Sabres decision making pyramid. Anyone who fails to recognize this is not giving Kim her due. I’m not sure what Terry has done to fill that void, but I hope he’s found high quality people to do so. I also hope that he is choosing better than Jerry Jones, who he seems to be leaning on for all things stadium related. And, yes, NFL owners often seek the council of other, more experienced owners. The NFL is a business first and foremost. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NUT said:

He should already be gone, he's the wrong coach for Allen. The Reid-Mahomes combo proves this.

Allen needs an offensively-minded head coach.  

The team and fans need a coach that is capable of not giving games away in the playoffs due to bizarre and never-to-be-explained in-game decisions, and one that understands that it's idiocy to hand our opponents huge chunks of yards in the most critical of situations, and thereby costing us playoff games.  

Apparently, from what we've read, highly-paid "experts" are needed to understand this.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.