Frazier Permanently Gone?

On 5/18/2023 at 10:07 AM, wppete said:

Yea no one seriously thought he would be back…. That was the softest firing ever. The Bills didn’t want the backlash. 

Nah.

You ask the reporters who've talked to all these guys and they don't believe it was a firing. It's fans who want to believe it who do believe it.

I don't believe anyone ever said he'd be back with the Bills, though it probably hadn't been ruled out as a possibility if things worked out that way.

Leslie was frustrated. He wanted time off. But it's never been reported that he was promised a chance to return to the Bills. How could the Bills have made that promise? They had to shuffle things around a ton to get things ready for this year without Frazier. How could they have promised to let him back in and then gotten good people to take the jobs? Why would the Bills promise to let him come back without seeing what happened with the new arrangements with Frazier gone?

And when he said he'd be back in 2024 it was never clear that he was saying he'd be back in Buffalo. As I understand it he said he would return to coaching. Has anyone seen that he said he would return to the Bills?

IMO what OP is reporting is what was understood to be happening. He separated from the Bills. He wasn't promised a return, though it was likely considered a possibility if everything worked out just right. At least it's what I understood, though I've been wrong before.

• Dislike 1

40 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

The only question I have here is: do we get the minority coach comp pick if he is hired elsewhere?

He doesn't work for the Bills. Why would we?

The rule is to compensate teams that are losing guys who are being poached for promotions, guys they will have to replace. We aren't losing him to another team in a promotion.

Edited by Thurman#1

Frankly, the writing was on the wall for Frazier the moment that the “Senior Defensive Assistant “ was being tossed around by Beane and McDermott, it was tantamount to telling LF that we don’t feel you are able to deliver what is needed at points in the regular season and your post season results speak for themselves…, etc etc etc, ( think Yul Breener when you read the etc part) 

It’s just how the corporate world rolls, is what it is…, 

Sounds to me like the NLF  is running this program to generate minoiry HC candidates, and LF is in the cohort being groomed for that kind of role.  Doesn't mean he gets one, but, he might.  His time in Minn wasn't great, and that is against him.  But, recall Marv Levy had a bad record at KC before  coming a GOAT for the Bills.  Anyhow, the NFL is trying to move some minorities into the HC ranks.  the NFL;'s problem is that they have decentralized hiring, and the owner and GM pick their guy.  Who knows what the  calculus is in each of the 32 teams.  I know personal confidence in the selection is important at that level, and likely the owner makes the final decision.  Frazier h as made a lot of money.  this is a self satisfaction move for him trying to move up the line.  If that is what he wants, I wish him well.  He has a good record as a DC, but, that is not enough to get selected.  And, his age may be an issue as well, mid 60's is a hard time to get promoted. (yeh, but Marv did)  

I think he was quietly told it was time to move on.  I suspect he and McDermott have a strong personal relationship and they found a way for the Bills to make a change without making him look like the public scape-goat.   He seems like a genuinely good man but I am glad the Bills made the change.  I would rather they had bought in a new DC rather than have McDermott take over that role too though.

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

He doesn't work for the Bills. Why would we?

The rule is to compensate teams that are losing guys who are being poached for promotions, guys they will have to replace. We aren't losing him to another team in a promotion.

Isn’t he under contract with the Bills for another year? Sitting out for a year shouldn’t burn this. Over the next year, I don’t think he could sign anywhere without the Bills getting some form of compensation from the other team. As far as we know, he hasn’t retired.

That said, I do agree. He may benefit from this NFL program, but sitting on his couch over the next year isn’t going to be rewarded with a promotion. The best thing for him would be for the Bills to negotiate his exit. 

I am glad he is gone. I hate the soft nonaggressive defense. A good QB makes it the Death of a Thousand cuts,  so frustrating to watch. I'd rather be aggressive and get beat down the field once in a while than watch that garbage. With such a potent offense the Bills focus on D should be getting off the field. Get after them, create turnovers, get off the ***** field. No more 8 minute drives while Josh is waiting on the sideline. The downside is sometimes they break a play and now the ball is back in Josh Allen's hands. I'll take that tradeoff anyday. Strictly from an entertainment perspective there is no comparison, soft d and long drives with Allen off the field is unbearable. Compare watching that to watching an aggressive defense and more Allen possessions. 

There is no guarantee that is what we will get but I know I have seen enough of Frazier's defense that I welcome whatever comes next.

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

On 5/17/2023 at 9:20 PM, Einstein said:

I wonder if there was 1 year left on his contract and the team offered to pay him to take the year off.

Either way, there was no coming back from this.

B9-DCBCF8-561-F-4-C84-8912-3367-E107-D3-

What?  It makes perfect sense!  Bengals didn’t know what hit em!!!

Leslie is a fine NFL coach, but he’s gone as far as he can go with us. He’s too reactive with his defensive philosophy. We had lost our aggressive mentality, and his young personnel after the injuries to key starters, didn’t fit the bend don’t break defense. He rarely sent extra rushers and didn’t like pressing receivers at the line. Even Sean said our defense was not physically imposing and needed to dictate the tone. Sean will be much better and our fortunes will rest with Dorsey’s evolution as an OC.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Turk71 said:

I am glad he is gone. I hate the soft nonaggressive defense. A good QB makes it the Death of a Thousand cuts,  so frustrating to watch. I'd rather be aggressive and get beat down the field once in a while than watch that garbage. With such a potent offense the Bills focus on D should be getting off the field. Get after them, create turnovers, get off the ***** field. No more 8 minute drives while Josh is waiting on the sideline. The downside is sometimes they break a play and now the ball is back in Josh Allen's hands. I'll take that tradeoff anyday. Strictly from an entertainment perspective there is no comparison, soft d and long drives with Allen off the field is unbearable. Compare watching that to watching an aggressive defense and more Allen possessions. 

There is no guarantee that is what we will get but I know I have seen enough of Frazier's defense that I welcome whatever comes next.

I agree. Good D .  Great person and seems to be beloved by his players.  Failed miserably in 3 straight season ending losses.  

time will tell if we’re better off without him… but I think  staying the course with him calling plays would’ve led us to the similar results. Close but no cigar

• Agree 1

On 5/20/2023 at 12:10 AM, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I'll go one further.

If Bills underachieve in the playoffs again McD could be gone too !

absolutely.  Everyone is held accountable

The Bills are identifying that winning AFC East and going to the playoffs is one thing; they also realize that you need superior coaching to elevate yourself in the playoffs and we don't have one as we have continued to make critical mistakes to exit the playoffs

*.  Bills had a 17-0 lead against the Watson led Texans...3rd and 16 with game on the line and  the defenders were at the 25 yard mark. 

*. Bills take a 3 pt lead against the Chiefs with 17 seconds left and we allowed Mahomes two catches to get into FG range....We also kicked the ball to EZ and there by not taking any time of the clock

*. Bills are pummeled by the Bengals Offense and Defense and were trailing by two scores most of the game.  The OC could not adjust the game plan and kept chucking the ball downfield for low % plays.  

*. Bills lead 17-0 nothing against the Dolphins and allowed them to take the lead right after half time.  Miami on that day ended up coaching poorly to lose the game to Josh Allen.

When you make such mistakes, it usually ends in a loss in the playoffs.  

Playoffs are tough...We beat Baltimore on a great play by Tarun Johnson as the Ravens were knocking on the door to take the lead.   

The  Bills coaching staff really needs to elevate their game to the next level to compete in the playoffs and win Super Bowls.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.