Frazier Permanently Gone?

I kind of wonder if there wasn't a difference of opinion as to how aggressive McD would have liked the D to be say like in the 13 second game and possibly some others . Maybe the bend not break type of scheme was more Frazier than McD although statistically that scheme was good in crunch time not so much .

This year could be very telling to see just how the Bills HC implements the defensive scheme and what changes will be made from Frazier's .

Edited by T master

47 minutes ago, T master said:

I kind of wonder if there wasn't a difference of opinion as to how aggressive McD would have liked the D to be say like in the 13 second game and possibly some others . Maybe the bend not break type of scheme was more Frazier than McD although statistically that scheme was good in crunch time not so much .

This year could be very telling to see just how the Bills HC implements the defensive scheme and what changes will be made from Frazier's .

Sean is, from what we evidence we have in Philly and Carolina, a more aggressive play caller, but scheme wise expect the Bills to still be a bend but not break scheme that tries to limit big plays and keep the game in front of them. That's how McD's defenses succeeded as well. You may see him bring more pressure in certain situations where Leslie would be inclined to play coverage but there will be a lot of simulate pressure and drop out as there was in Frazier's defense. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Sean is, from what we evidence we have in Philly and Carolina, a more aggressive play caller, but scheme wise expect the Bills to still be a bend but not break scheme that tries to limit big plays and keep the game in front of them. That's how McD's defenses succeeded as well. You may see him bring more pressure in certain situations where Leslie would be inclined to play coverage but there will be a lot of simulate pressure and drop out as there was in Frazier's defense. 

I'd like to add that while most fans hate this term, it's what most successful modern defenses do in this era. There are some exceptions, sure. But with the way the rules are set up to protect the QB and always tipped in favor of the passing game on offense you can't be too aggressive too many times and risk tossing in penalty yards and free first downs on top of the already slanted rules. 

These days you almost have to play passive and pick a spot here or there to surprise an offense with a bit of uptempo defense to cause a negative play. Sean has the reputation of having an excellent feel for when to turn that dial up.

Edited by BuffaloBillyG
  • Agree 2

It is as clear as a bell that McD informed Frazier that he (McD) would call the defenses in 2023 season. Given this, Frazier had to leave the Bills. At this point in his career, Frazier cannot accept being a DC stripped of play calling responsibilities. Among other problems, it would kill any chance of gettting a HC job

43 minutes ago, Gregg said:

He should have been out after 13 seconds. I still can't believe the Bills didn't win that game. 30 seconds sure as there is enough time to get into FG range especially with timeouts. But 13 come on.

And they called timeout before each of the last 2 plays.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

They brought pressure on this play too. How do you not play press man there?

I agree.

And the Bills seem to agree as well, since the next time that situation happened, they switched to press man. Video below.

I just wonder if it was Frazier who realized it and fixed it, or it McD told him not to ever do that again.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, GerstAusGosheim said:

The big story everyone is missing is that Sean waited until there were no DC jobs left to fire him. That's really messed up.

I’m not sure that’s the correct takeaway. I’m confident the Bills were allowing other teams to talk with Frazier. The question is did anyone call. I’m guessing not. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Einstein said:

At midfield, yes. Not at the 7 yard line. There is not much room for the defender to even run past the DB in this part of the field (unless it’s a pylon throw or slot middle). 

The right call is to play press man and force Burrow to hold onto the ball a second longer. The play call they chose, gift wrapped a first down for Cinci. 

And the Bills agree with me. How do I know?

Well, not much later in the game, the Bills defense were in almost exactly the same position. This time it was 3rd and 5 instead of 3rd and 4. And it was also in the red zone.

In almost the exact same situation, the Bills played cover 0 again (or maybe it was cover 1?), but this time with press man. Any guesses as to what happened?

Burrow had to hold the ball longer, waiting for his receivers to get separation. In doing so, he got hit by Ed Oliver, and barely was able to throw the ball away.

The bills have never called cover 0 with press man in the snow lol. They were in a different coverage then. The picture I quoted insinuates that the CBs need to be in press on that play call. That is ######ed - if they are in cover 0 with press in the snow, instead of barely getting the first down (which they wouldn't have gotten had white been better about tackling even with the cushion) burrow would have had one of three wide open WRs for a touchdown and could have picked whichever he would have liked to throw to, like you would pick your favorite cantaloupe at the store. 

I agree that press man coverage would have been best there, but not with cover 0, because cover 0 is TOO AGGRESSIVE for the circumstance. Cover 2 press man on the outside with that 3 man rush and delayed Milano blitz would have been my call. 

If you can get a screen shot of that next play you mention that shows 7 blitzers I will believe you. But I have literally never seen what people were asking for from that play 

Edited by arcane

11 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Try taking a year off of your job and see if its waiting for you when you get back.

Try messing up your job like 13 seconds and see if your badge works the next morning.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.