Justin Houston receiving significant interest - The Bills a potential fit

BillsFan619

I’m hopeful Groot makes the huge jump this season that predicated his Draft selection. We know the story. Great height, great 1st step, long arms and strong. But lost a full season to Covid so there was fear of a 1st Round flop ala Aron Maybin. He has shown great at times but nowhere near the expectations or consistency that comes with his pick. Obvi, Beane did the best he and scouts could do in that weird year regarding his mindset, background and comps. IF he can burst through this season (7-9 sacks) we could punch our ticket to the Conference Championship providing no setbacks for Von. 
It may not be ‘make or break’ but I think it is..🤔

21 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Reportedly we offered Yannick Ngakoue an incentive loaded deal (if ECB and Cover 1 are to be believed) that he turned down.

I tend to feel that makes sense given our cap situation and the large amount of finessing we've already done via restructures. I feel like if there were more restructures to be done that Beane was comfortable doing, that he'd have done them by now.

DT extensions to free cap space are a popular cap freeing sentiment amongst fans. But Beane has said he won't look to do that until into Training Camp, at the earliest. He wants to see who's looking good, who's interested, and talk to them about numbers first. He may also want to see how Poona Ford looks this year before committing to others.

He also said he looked into getting DE's in here post Draft and wasn't able to do it. That's why he claimed Cline and brought in Ray for an extended tryout and decided to sign him.

Long story short, I think a move for someone like Houston may have sailed with the signings of Cline and Ray. We currently sit at 9 DE's in Camp, with all 5 of our DE's from last year's 53 returning, Von reportedly on schedule to miss no time (at most a game or two), no cap space with little wiggle room, and 88 of 90 roster spots filled - when Beane said he didn't want to bring 90 to camp. 

If Houston were to sign here, he'd have to be agreeable to a fully incentive laden deal for league minimum. That seems to be the most we're willing to do. If we're interested in adding a 10th DE at all at this point. 

Erik Turner is reliable… ECB is a fraud.  I pity anyone who believes his crap

Seems like a good fit, for the right money.

Dude gets lots of sacks and QB hits, still, after all of these years.

It seems the Bills, with their young players on the line, and player rotation makes it a good fit.

Another mentor for the young guys and the kind of playing time where he could still be a difference maker.

• Agree 1

On 5/17/2023 at 8:45 PM, BuffaloBillyG said:

Ok. Then the article clearly states if this thread gets to 200 pages he will sign for the NFL minimum AND buy wings for the whole stadium at the home opener. GO!

Just awwesome BBG thanks

On 5/18/2023 at 7:46 AM, BillsFanForever19 said:

Reportedly we offered Yannick Ngakoue an incentive loaded deal (if ECB and Cover 1 are to be believed) that he turned down.

I tend to feel that makes sense given our cap situation and the large amount of finessing we've already done via restructures. I feel like if there were more restructures to be done that Beane was comfortable doing, that he'd have done them by now.

DT extensions to free cap space are a popular cap freeing sentiment amongst fans. But Beane has said he won't look to do that until into Training Camp, at the earliest. He wants to see who's looking good, who's interested, and talk to them about numbers first. He may also want to see how Poona Ford looks this year before committing to others.

He also said he looked into getting DE's in here post Draft and wasn't able to do it. That's why he claimed Cline and brought in Ray for an extended tryout and decided to sign him.

Long story short, I think a move for someone like Houston may have sailed with the signings of Cline and Ray. We currently sit at 9 DE's in Camp, with all 5 of our DE's from last year's 53 returning, Von reportedly on schedule to miss no time (at most a game or two), no cap space with little wiggle room, and 88 of 90 roster spots filled - when Beane said he didn't want to bring 90 to camp. 

If Houston were to sign here, he'd have to be agreeable to a fully incentive laden deal for league minimum. That seems to be the most we're willing to do. If we're interested in adding a 10th DE at all at this point. 

No particular reason to think it would have to be league minimum plus.

More likely they're offering somewhere in the neighborhood of $1.5 to $2M, with some incentives on top. If any teams were offering these guys the sort of $5M contracts they'd ideally hope for at this point, they'd probably already have signed by now.

And they're probably offering very similar deals to the 7 or 8 good but old DEs out there as FAs that they have interest in. Whoever signs first gets the contract.

Those older FAs are most likely not especially interested in spending a ton of time at mini-camps and off-season activities. My guess is they'll start going just about as camps start and some will sign even later than that.

13 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

We can kick some of the cap hit down the road a year or two with void years. The Browns are doing that with Za’darius Smith’s contract, though all the details are not out yet. Cap hit of about $3M this season on an $11.75M, 1-year deal. They’ll either re-sign him (unlikely) or designate him a 6/1 cut next offseason to push some of the hit out to 2025. They’re being very aggressive with the cap to try to gain an advantage. Obviously there are always risks to that. We will just have to wait and see how aggressive the Bills are willing to be. 

Of course they can kick cans down the road. But Beane's made it clear he has real limits about doing that. There are consequences. 

Houston's not getting a Za'Darius Smith deal. His last deal (Spotrac) Was $3.5M for one year. $2.075M for one year the year before that.

And he's a year older and is unfortunately in a market with 7 or 8 very similar guys still unsigned. 

5 hours ago, SUNY_amherst said:

Like everyone else we are tied to in a big trade... "I'll believe it when I see it"

In this case it would be a free agent signing.

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’m hopeful Groot makes the huge jump this season that predicated his Draft selection. We know the story. Great height, great 1st step, long arms and strong. But lost a full season to Covid so there was fear of a 1st Round flop ala Aron Maybin. He has shown great at times but nowhere near the expectations or consistency that comes with his pick. Obvi, Beane did the best he and scouts could do in that weird year regarding his mindset, background and comps. IF he can burst through this season (7-9 sacks) we could punch our ticket to the Conference Championship providing no setbacks for Von. 

Even if Rousseau does, I'd like to see another pass rusher. You can't have too many, especially when your best edge is in the twilight and the rest are unproven.

3 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

In this case it would be a free agent signing.

Even if Rousseau does, I'd like to see another pass rusher. You can't have too many, especially when your best edge is in the twilight and the rest are unproven.

All the more for Basham and Epenesa to demonstrate being able to put the heat consistently on the opposing QBs. 

On 5/17/2023 at 9:56 PM, NewEra said:

Do you really believe that?

Yep.  Greg R. was a JAG when Miller was out.  Houston has proven to be able to create for himself.  Next year could be different, but hoping that Greg R. improves is not a strategy for success when you have a proven answer out there.  

• Agree 1

On 5/17/2023 at 8:11 PM, Don Otreply said:

And there in lies the rub…

If there is a tug to follow, then Kraft will sign him...

On 5/17/2023 at 9:13 PM, John from Riverside said:

Meaning, what?

Meaning he/she/it is a Kansas City troll.

• Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I agree with your points wholeheartedly, but 7-9 sacks would not be a breakthrough. He quietly had a sneaky breakthrough last season when he posted 8 sacks.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/4362506/greg-rousseau

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

Yep.  Greg R. was a JAG when Miller was out.  Houston has proven to be able to create for himself.  Next year could be different, but hoping that Greg R. improves is not a strategy for success when you have a proven answer out there.  

🤣 👌 sure thing

• Eyeroll 1

13 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Of course they can kick cans down the road. But Beane's made it clear he has real limits about doing that. There are consequences. 

Houston's not getting a Za'Darius Smith deal. His last deal (Spotrac) Was $3.5M for one year. $2.075M for one year the year before that.

And he's a year older and is unfortunately in a market with 7 or 8 very similar guys still unsigned. 

I never said I expect Houston to get a contract like Smith’s. I don’t. My comment was strictly about the Bills’ level of aggressiveness and their options. Many AFC teams are pushing hard this season so the Bills have to decide how they want to play it. Do they want to push in hard this season and deal with the consequences later? Or do they want to play a longer game? As of now it looks like they want to be competitive, but have pulled up shy of really going for it this season. That’s a very defensible strategy especially with the meat grinder the AFC looks to be, but it does temper my expectations for the season. Not that the off-season is over yet. Things could change. 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I never said I expect Houston to get a contract like Smith’s. I don’t. My comment was strictly about the Bills’ level of aggressiveness and their options. Many AFC teams are pushing hard this season so the Bills have to decide how they want to play it. Do they want to push in hard this season and deal with the consequences later? Or do they want to play a longer game? As of now it looks like they want to be competitive, but have pulled up shy of really going for it this season. That’s a very defensible strategy especially with the meat grinder the AFC looks to be, but it does temper my expectations for the season. Not that the off-season is over yet. Things could change. 

Agreed, and Beane has stated a few times that he's not interested in trying to go all in for one season by compromising our competitiveness in future years.  He wants us to be a contender every year that we have Allen - which coincidentally is exactly what I want.

That said, I'm kind of blown away by this offseason.  Knowing our cap situation, I didn't see us doing much of anything.  Instead, we have upgrades at both guard positions, RB, WR and TE.  Kincaid could end up being our Kelce, and will create match-up problems for defenses.  Even a signing like Ford is going to be pretty impactful.  Beane really looked at that Cincy game and made upgrades based on that - we're more physical, we should have a better run game, our receivers have better hands and YAC. 

I keep seeing on other boards that the Bills are "taking a step back." I think the 2023 team will be our best yet.

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Success said:

Agreed, and Beane has stated a few times that he's not interested in trying to go all in for one season by compromising our competitiveness in future years.  He wants us to be a contender every year that we have Allen - which coincidentally is exactly what I want.

That said, I'm kind of blown away by this offseason.  Knowing our cap situation, I didn't see us doing much of anything.  Instead, we have upgrades at both guard positions, RB, WR and TE.  Kincaid could end up being our Kelce, and will create match-up problems for defenses.  Even a signing like Ford is going to be pretty impactful.  Beane really looked at that Cincy game and made upgrades based on that - we're more physical, we should have a better run game, our receivers have better hands and YAC. 

I keep seeing on other boards that the Bills are "taking a step back." I think the 2023 team will be our best yet.

I certainly don’t fault the Bills for taking a long term approach. I’m a little shocked by the degree to which some other AFC teams have pushed in this season though.

I’m not quite as high on the team this season as most others. Part of that is the increased competition. Also I almost always take a wait-and-see approach to draft picks and non-premium FA signings. I like that the OGs were addressed, but we have to wait and see how (and when) that works out. I do not like that we haven’t addressed OT.

Kincaid looks very promising as a receiving TE/big slot, but I’m certainly not anointing him the next Kelce yet. I don’t like that WR really wasn’t improved. RB seems like it’s a push from last year too. I think we will see an improvement in our running game if the OGs improve with Torrence getting on the field. 

The defense’s success will likely depend on the return to form of Miller and White as well as how well Edmunds has been replaced. Maybe there will be a play calling improvement with McDermott taking the reins too. 

I don’t mean to pee in anyone’s Cheerios - especially at this time of year. Sometimes everything clicks and that’s possible for the Bills this year, but it is rare. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.