Justin Houston receiving significant interest - The Bills a potential fit

BillsFan619

Houston seems like good fit for the Bills on a short-term deal, if they can come to terms.  Obviously, the Bills don't have a lot of cash to spend, but they do present one of the better opportunties to win a championship.  I suspect Von Miller won't be ready (or at least not 100%) until later in the season, so this would be a huge help until Miller gets back and having both of them on the field later in the season could cause some major challenges for opposing offenses.  This isn't just a "sign him because he's available and we've heard of him" type of deal.  This guy is available and could really be a difference maker without breaking the bank.  Unfortunately, the bank might already be closed.

I don't think that the other two DEs we recently signed would preclude us from signing Houston.  Those guys are camp bodies/kicking-the-tires types.  Neither is going to be paid much and both are long shots to make the team.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

He’s been on my wish list every offseason.  He’s better than our previous 2nd round picks.  

Same.  Heck, he's better than Greg R. right now.  

B. Smith had a 9 sack season at 39.  I think Houston is aging well like Smith did.  We should be going after him.  

• Disagree 4

29 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Same.  Heck, he's better than Greg R. right now.  

B. Smith had a 9 sack season at 39.  I think Houston is aging well like Smith did.  We should be going after him.  

Do you really believe that?

6 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Dude had another good year last year and made peanuts. I looked few Mos ago, details a smidge fuzzy but it was like 9sacks $5m.

Just make it work. Nasty veteran who despite past his prime, knows how to give OCs fits. 

Not quite peanuts but not a ton either:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/justin-houston-7789/

4 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Worth noting for those that will just read the headline and comment...this article is pure speculation and names 4 random teams that the writer feels he may fit. 

The actual point to me is that Justin Houston (9.5 sacks), Leonard Floyd (9.0 sacks), Yannick Ngakoue (9.5 sacks), Robert Quinn (18.5 in 2021), Melvin Ingram (6.0 sacks),and Frank Clark (5.0 sacks) are all free agents. None intend to retire and none will get the money they're seeking which means that most of these guys if not all can be had fairly cheaply.

Of this group Frank Clark and Leonard Floyd have Super Bowl rings which could mean that like Justin Houston, Ngakoue, Quinn, and Ingram might find the Bills an attractive destination.

• Like (+1) 1

Getting that man on this team would not be a bad thing for sure but is there enough cap space to bring him on ? Being a hired gun he will more likely than not command a pretty decent contract for his services & given the Bills cap space Beane might not be able to pull that one off .

10 hours ago, NoSaint said:

void years. It’s simple

We can kick some of the cap hit down the road a year or two with void years. The Browns are doing that with Za’darius Smith’s contract, though all the details are not out yet. Cap hit of about $3M this season on an $11.75M, 1-year deal. They’ll either re-sign him (unlikely) or designate him a 6/1 cut next offseason to push some of the hit out to 2025. They’re being very aggressive with the cap to try to gain an advantage. Obviously there are always risks to that. We will just have to wait and see how aggressive the Bills are willing to be. 

if I recall, the last 2 deals he signed were for 2 and 3 million.  We could certainly make that work

The Shane Ray and Cline moves are likely just competition to push AJ and Basham and were done in case we can't land a veteran rotational starter. 

Neither one prevents us from adding 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

The actual point to me is that Justin Houston (9.5 sacks), Leonard Floyd (9.0 sacks), Yannick Ngakoue (9.5 sacks), Robert Quinn (18.5 in 2021), Melvin Ingram (6.0 sacks),and Frank Clark (5.0 sacks) are all free agents. None intend to retire and none will get the money they're seeking which means that most of these guys if not all can be had fairly cheaply.

Of this group Frank Clark and Leonard Floyd have Super Bowl rings which could mean that like Justin Houston, Ngakoue, Quinn, and Ingram might find the Bills an attractive destination.

In addition to those six guys, you can add Jadeveon Clowney and Jason Pierre-Paul as veteran Edge Rushers who could help.

I fully expect the Bills to end up with (at least) one of these guys, once the season gets closer.  Demand appears to be low, so the contracts should be pretty cheap.  By waiting, the players can avoid training camp, which is a plus for them.  By waiting, the Bills can also get a better idea on Von Miller's health and if any of our young guys (AJ Epenesa, Boogie Basham) appear to have made progress in their development.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Worth noting for those that will just read the headline and comment...this article is pure speculation and names 4 random teams that the writer feels he may fit. 

Gotta put that content out there, even when it’s just make believe, click 💵 click💵 click💵 click 💵, it’s what makes the world go round…, 

• Agree 2

17 hours ago, NewEra said:

He’s been on my wish list every offseason.  He’s better than our previous 2nd round picks.  

I can see why he’s been on your wish list, bro.

Look at his stats from 2022. 

He “totaled 9.5 sacks with the Baltimore Ravens, proving he has some good football left in the tank. He also posted 39 quarterback pressures and a forced fumble. The most impressive part? He did all of that in 14 games and while playing only 44 percent of defensive snaps…”

Imagine him and Von on the same field together!

Edited by BillsFan619
  • Like (+1) 2

I remember during the 2011 NFL draft, I wanted him in the 1st round with a trade back... then he was available in the second, and I was convinced he was going to be the pick, but no. Then amazingly he was there in the 3rd for us to take, and we said 'no' a 3rd time. I still can't believe we passed on him in the 2nd and 3rd round, I thought he was a top 15 talent that draft.

15 hours ago, msw2112 said:

Houston seems like good fit for the Bills on a short-term deal, if they can come to terms.  Obviously, the Bills don't have a lot of cash to spend, but they do present one of the better opportunties to win a championship.  I suspect Von Miller won't be ready (or at least not 100%) until later in the season, so this would be a huge help until Miller gets back and having both of them on the field later in the season could cause some major challenges for opposing offenses.  This isn't just a "sign him because he's available and we've heard of him" type of deal.  This guy is available and could really be a difference maker without breaking the bank.  Unfortunately, the bank might already be closed.

I don't think that the other two DEs we recently signed would preclude us from signing Houston.  Those guys are camp bodies/kicking-the-tires types.  Neither is going to be paid much and both are long shots to make the team.

Agree they dont preclude us from signing Houston.  But I think they have a decent shot of making the roster.  Assuming Von is on the PUP to start and they carry 5 DE (how many they carried at times last year) then they just need to beat Kingsley Jonathon.  If only 4  DE on active roster then either has to beat out Boogie Basham.  I don't think either of them beating Boogie Basham is that much of a long shot let alone Kingsley Jonathon.

19 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

“Houston has played in nine playoff games in his career and has reached the postseason seven times. However, he's never won a Super Bowl. Given that he's at the latter stage of his career, one would imagine that he'd like to check that box off on his résumé, so the Bills would be a good fit in that regard. He'd pair with Von Miller to enhance a strong pass-rushing unit and help Buffalo try to slay a gauntlet of quarterbacks in the AFC.”

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/justin-houston-landing-spots-potential-fits-as-veteran-pass-rusher-reportedly-receiving-significant-interest/

Also, here’s some stats for Houston in 2022. He “totaled 9.5 sacks with the Baltimore Ravens, proving he has some good football left in the tank. He also posted 39 quarterback pressures and a forced fumble.

The most impressive part? He did all of that in 14 games and while playing only 44 percent of defensive snaps…”

https://buffalowdown.com/posts/buffalo-bills-rumors-bills-tabbed-landing-spot-justin-houston-01h0nh09agdz

And he's still rated as a 73 PFF overall. 

Highest among the common names - Ingram, Quinn, Ngaouke, Clark, etc. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.