Justin Houston receiving significant interest - The Bills a potential fit

BillsFan619

“Houston has played in nine playoff games in his career and has reached the postseason seven times. However, he's never won a Super Bowl. Given that he's at the latter stage of his career, one would imagine that he'd like to check that box off on his résumé, so the Bills would be a good fit in that regard. He'd pair with Von Miller to enhance a strong pass-rushing unit and help Buffalo try to slay a gauntlet of quarterbacks in the AFC.”

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/justin-houston-landing-spots-potential-fits-as-veteran-pass-rusher-reportedly-receiving-significant-interest/

Also, here’s some stats for Houston in 2022. He “totaled 9.5 sacks with the Baltimore Ravens, proving he has some good football left in the tank. He also posted 39 quarterback pressures and a forced fumble.

The most impressive part? He did all of that in 14 games and while playing only 44 percent of defensive snaps…”

https://buffalowdown.com/posts/buffalo-bills-rumors-bills-tabbed-landing-spot-justin-houston-01h0nh09agdz

Edited by BillsFan619
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

“Houston has played in nine playoff games in his career and has reached the postseason seven times. However, he's never won a Super Bowl. Given that he's at the latter stage of his career, one would imagine that he'd like to check that box off on his résumé, so the Bills would be a good fit in that regard. He'd pair with Von Miller to enhance a strong pass-rushing unit and help Buffalo try to slay a gauntlet of quarterbacks in the AFC.”

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/justin-houston-landing-spots-potential-fits-as-veteran-pass-rusher-reportedly-receiving-significant-interest/

He’s been on my wish list every offseason.  He’s better than our previous 2nd round picks.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I'd normally just post GIT 'R' DUN!! and call it a day, but HTF can we afford him?

Dude had another good year last year and made peanuts. I looked few Mos ago, details a smidge fuzzy but it was like 9sacks $5m.

Just make it work. Nasty veteran who despite past his prime, knows how to give OCs fits. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Reportedly we offered Yannick Ngakoue an incentive loaded deal (if ECB and Cover 1 are to be believed) that he turned down.

I tend to feel that makes sense given our cap situation and the large amount of finessing we've already done via restructures. I feel like if there were more restructures to be done that Beane was comfortable doing, that he'd have done them by now.

DT extensions to free cap space are a popular cap freeing sentiment amongst fans. But Beane has said he won't look to do that until into Training Camp, at the earliest. He wants to see who's looking good, who's interested, and talk to them about numbers first. He may also want to see how Poona Ford looks this year before committing to others.

He also said he looked into getting DE's in here post Draft and wasn't able to do it. That's why he claimed Cline and brought in Ray for an extended tryout and decided to sign him.

Long story short, I think a move for someone like Houston may have sailed with the signings of Cline and Ray. We currently sit at 9 DE's in Camp, with all 5 of our DE's from last year's 53 returning, Von reportedly on schedule to miss no time (at most a game or two), no cap space with little wiggle room, and 88 of 90 roster spots filled - when Beane said he didn't want to bring 90 to camp. 

If Houston were to sign here, he'd have to be agreeable to a fully incentive laden deal for league minimum. That seems to be the most we're willing to do. If we're interested in adding a 10th DE at all at this point. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

He’s been on my wish list every offseason.  He’s better than our previous 2nd round picks.  

A bag of footballs are better than our recent 2nd round picks 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

26 minutes ago, DJB said:

A bag of footballs are better than our recent 2nd round picks 

I have hope AJ could have a breakout year coming into a contract year.

He has flashed in the past Just inconsistent. Especially when Von gets back but as of now he'd be getting like 3-5 mil per year I'd think 

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I'd normally just post GIT 'R' DUN!! and call it a day, but HTF can we afford him?

And there in lies the rub…

• Like (+1) 1

I have wanted this guy for years.
 Flame away but i had no interest in Miller. Because of salary more than anything

Would have preferred  Houston. Before he went to Ravens. And he did a nice job there !

We would still have money to sign another like Yannick or whatever.

But just imagine lining Miller and Houston up on the same down.

GAWD

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Worth noting for those that will just read the headline and comment...this article is pure speculation and names 4 random teams that the writer feels he may fit. 

Its a fantasy.
 dont spoll the moment

geesh

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

I have hope AJ could have a breakout year coming into a contract year.

He has flashed in the past Just inconsistent. Especially when Von gets back but as of now he'd be getting like 3-5 mil per year I'd think 

The key issue with our our 2nd round DEs in their inability to make plays when it counts

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.