Loss of a pet

Goin Breakdown

I am sorry for your loss.

Four months ago, we had to put down our 20 year old cat. It was one of the worst days of my life, as I had gotten closer to that little guy than I even thought possible. We had it done at home, where they came to the house and administered the shots...costly, but worth it. I felt that I owed it to him, to go out being held close to my chest.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

I understand how you feel.  We put our birds in their outdoor cage during day during summer because they were happy and loved singing to other birds who would go to deck to feed off my wife's plants.  Cage was well protected and even if a feral cat came or a bird of prey saw them they could not reach my birds.  I have never seen a snake in this area and could not foresee one it coming into yard, onto deck and slip into each of the cages and eating my birds.  On-On as I told earlier in thread had been found by my dog 20 years earlier and 4 of my beautiful hand raised lovebirds who would stand on my fingers and eat out of my palm (one bird per finger) were gone.  

Yeah. That's hard. This reminds me of the African gray parrot my my parents had for years. They can live up to 70+ years but Jazz's life was cut short by cancer. He was an awesome bird. He'd give me chills sometimes because he's talk in my fathers voice even after my Dad passed. 

32 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

I am sorry for your loss.

Four months ago, we had to put down our 20 year old cat. It was one of the worst days of my life, as I had gotten closer to that little guy than I even thought possible. We had it done at home, where they came to the house and administered the shots...costly, but worth it. I felt that I owed it to him, to go out being held close to my chest.

This is hard to read. So sorry man

1 hour ago, MarkyMannn said:

Right now I'm in Myrtle Beach for 2023 Bike Week. Yesterday went to a bar restaurant named Dead Dog Saloon. Hundreds of pictures on the walls of dogs that passed, given by customers. Hence the name. Great place, if just a bit sad too

That's a really interesting concept, but sounds like the owner has a heart for people who didn't know where to place their grief. 

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Yeah. That's hard. This reminds me of the African gray parrot my my parents had for years. They can live up to 70+ years but Jazz's life was cut short by cancer. He was an awesome bird. He'd give me chills sometimes because he's talk in my fathers voice even after my Dad passed. 

My sister bought a number of parrots with one escaping the other a Blue and Gold Macaw named "Big Blue" given to me for I was only one else in family who could handle with birds. 

He had a severe feather plucking problem which is usually caused by lack of social interaction.  I did the best to be social with him wearing a heavy denim jacket so he could stand on my shoulders although he had a bad habit of pruning me pulling hair out of back of my neck.  We would take him outside to outdoor cage so he could be social when we were working on deck.  He also thought he was a carnivore and roasted chicken legs were his favorite treat. He had a problem of screaming for attention which I could never solve which caused issues.  I was dealing with severe insomnia due to my work constantly switching my shifts getting 6 hours of sleep a week so he he was moved from middle "pet" room to the bedroom attached greenhouse/sunroom. He was happier there but one day when we were out evidently a bird of prey which spotted him.  He could not be attacked but evidently he had a heart attack from fright.

I love animals and wanted to be a veterinarian but it has become very heart breaking.   

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, MarkyMannn said:

Right now I'm in Myrtle Beach for 2023 Bike Week. Yesterday went to a bar restaurant named Dead Dog Saloon. Hundreds of pictures on the walls of dogs that passed, given by customers. Hence the name. Great place, if just a bit sad too

That seems like an awfully strange bar theme!

You go in with friends to have a cheerful, fun, relaxing time and you end up.......

Sad Matthew Mcconaughey GIF by Legendary Entertainment

33 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

My sister bought a number of parrots with one escaping the other a Blue and Gold Macaw named "Big Blue" given to me for I was only one else in family who could handle with birds. 

He had a severe feather plucking problem which is usually caused by lack of social interaction.  I did the best to be social with him wearing a heavy denim jacket so he could stand on my shoulders although he had a bad habit of pruning me pulling hair out of back of my neck.  We would take him outside to outdoor cage so he could be social when we were working on deck.  He also thought he was a carnivore and roasted chicken legs were his favorite treat. He had a problem of screaming for attention which I could never solve which caused issues.  I was dealing with severe insomnia due to my work constantly switching my shifts getting 6 hours of sleep a week so he he was moved from middle "pet" room to the bedroom attached greenhouse/sunroom. He was happier there but one day when we were out evidently a bird of prey which spotted him.  He could not be attacked but evidently he had a heart attack from fright.

I love animals and wanted to be a veterinarian but it has become very heart breaking.   

Poor guy. I was listening to a podcast and they remembered the listeners that we just can't predict every situation that can occur. So we just have to do the best we can and while we understand that feeling of guilt, we have to give ourselves grace because animals are unpredictable. I'm. It sure if hearing that helps me right now but maybe in time I can let go of the guilt that I feel and stop questioning every singe "what if" that comes to my head. 

51 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

That seems like an awfully strange bar theme!

You go in with friends to have a cheerful, fun, relaxing time and you end up.......

Sad Matthew Mcconaughey GIF by Legendary Entertainment

Yeah it was packed and hopping. I thought it was just a bar name.  I saw the dog pics but didn't notice until later each had a passed date. Then it came together the name. Talked to the waitress about my dog and get all choked up😥. If I'm here again bringing a pic of mine to leave here

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.