Loss of a pet

Goin Breakdown

It sucks and almost everyone can relate and sympathize.

At first the grief almost physically hurts.  They have their routines which are intertwined with yours and suddenly that is gone.  It takes awhile to get used to.  It does get easier.  

The best thing for me is/was to think of some of the good times in the prime.  Some funny things your pet did, funny episodes, things they did to piss you off but its funny now, etc.  Even write those things down, maybe even share them on social media.  

27 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I've had to put down a pet 4 times. The hardest was one dog who was healthy but became a psycho; sweet and loveable one minute, a snarling beast the next. We couldn't risk him biting someone so we did him in. I found that really hard because the damn dog trusted me and I took him to his death. The others were all really sick and it was the right thing to do.

Wow yeah man. I can imagine that being so hard to do. Sorry you had to go through that. 

2 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

I think it stings more to me when they are lost quickly or unexpectedly. I had two Husky brothers, Oreo and Zorro, from the same litter and we raised them both since they were puppies. 

Oreo was 12 years old when he passed. Up until a month before he was energetic, his normal self and loving life. The next month he had dropped significant weight, jaundice started and he had liver cancer. Due to his age we had him pass to stop any future suffering. My wife and I balled our eyes out for days due to the unexpected nature of it because we had seen him as his normal self until it happened. 

Zorro was almost 15 when he passed this past October. He was a shell of his former self. He had lost a ton of muscle mass, slept all day, and started to lose his bodily functions while struggling to walk. While I was sad to see him go for sure, it was his time and probably beyond his time with us. I was more empathetic for him and knew I was doing the right thing for him. I miss him but the situations were vastly different and the emotional side of things were handled very different. 

I feel this as my cat went very suddenly. It makes me so angry how it happened. It wasn't fair. He loved and played with the personality of 3 cats and had zero fear whatsoever. Unfortunately that was part of the issue. I'm sick to my stomach right now.  

1 hour ago, teef said:

I always find these post so difficult.  we've all been there and know how hard it is.

i'm on the cusp of this now.  i have a 17 year old black cat, and a 12 year old yellow lab.  my cat while old is still fairly feisty.  i can feel his spine when i pet him, but he still runs around a bit and likes to play.  my dog is really starting to show signs of age.  his face is old, he has a number of sebaceous gland and fatty tumors, but they don't seem to bother him.  even my mother in law stated that he always looked, "tired" recently. 

when their time comes, i think it will be the routine that will hit me the most.  i wake up at 5:30 during the weekdays just so i can spend the first half hour of my day with them.  feed them, let them out, play some ball to move around.  same with the evening.  my cat will sit with me when i do paperwork, and my dog is in his bed in my office.  we always start the day and end the day together...for the last 12 plus years.  

i think about them not being here more and more lately, but i've taken the attitude that a lot of other posters have....animals have a short life.  it's our responsibility to show them love, fun, and to take great care of them during this time.  i can honestly say i've done this for my friends, and will do this every day further that they're here.  it will hurt when they're gone, but i know i'll have done the right thing.

to remember them, i already had paintings made of both that hang in my home office right above their bed.  i'll have them forever to remember in their best points of life.

That's a great thing man. Having the paintings. I'm kinda like you where I think about when they'd go and how I'm going to feel. Probably because I dread it knowing it's inevitable and having gone through it before. Thanks for you mr words man. Thank all of you for the poems and kind words. 

7 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

It sucks and almost everyone can relate and sympathize.

At first the grief almost physically hurts.  They have their routines which are intertwined with yours and suddenly that is gone.  It takes awhile to get used to.  It does get easier.  

The best thing for me is/was to think of some of the good times in the prime.  Some funny things your pet did, funny episodes, things they did to piss you off but its funny now, etc.  Even write those things down, maybe even share them on social media.  

You guys are my social media. This is it for me. So I appreciate your responses and stories. Thank you. 

21 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

I recently lost my dog and have been lost/devastated as well so I feel for the OP

guys I spoke to a vet once and they said the worst part about putting pets down is when the owner isn't there. The pet is not really aware that they are being put to rest so they aren't scared of that but they are scared/confused wondering where their owner is when they aren't there.

of course it is hard as s--t for us to be there, but when I heard that I vowed I will never NOT be there in that moment for a pet.

Same. I did not want to see my cat's last moments or breaths when I put him down, but I knew he was by my side through some of my most trying times, so I had to be next to him for his. Not easy, not easy at all.

13 hours ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Maybe this is silly idk. I can't sleep and I don't have anyone really to talk to especially at this time of night. I don't do this kind of crap but I'm honestly feeling lost at the moment over my cat that passed today. I'm the kind of person that when anything gets lost around the house, something goes off in my head and I have to find it. I feel that way right now and I'll never get my dude back. Anyway I'm kinda just hoping that writing this helps. Thanks. 

It sucks, it sucks, it sucks, it sucks. I still feel the loss of a cat I had rescued as a kitten that got me through some very tough times. He passed almost 5 years ago. You'll get better at dealing with the loss bud, it will just take time.

17 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Same. I did not want to see my cat's last moments or breaths when I put him down, but I knew he was by my side through some of my most trying times, so I had to be next to him for his. Not easy, not easy at all.

It sucks, it sucks, it sucks, it sucks. I still feel the loss of a cat I had rescued as a kitten that got me through some very tough times. He passed almost 5 years ago. You'll get better at dealing with the loss bud, it will just take time.

Did you rescue again?  I'm sure I will.....in time 

sorry for the loss of your pet. as was mentioned we all go through it at some point or points in our life. I have lost many pets through the years and each one was just as hard as the first. I want to say I was about 9 when I lost my first, a cat, that was run over. the last was my kitty back in 2017. I had her for over 10 years. she came to me as a feral. I fed her and she stayed. she was not an indoor cat unless there was a storm or real cold weather. had to put her down as she developed a kidney disease. damn, it was hard to say good bye. have not had another pet since.

what was real hard was a couple weeks ago my grandson and his dad invited me to spend the day with them. we had lunch, played fortnite and enjoyed our company together. my grandson had a kitten, merlin, cutest little fella whom I played with. the following day he was run over. I hardly knew the little fella but that hurt. not only hurt from the loss but hurt for my grandson, who loved that kitten and he was devastated. 

losing a pet is a tough deal. they are family.

I put my cat to sleep of 18 years a few weeks ago and it's just not normal right now. I'm 41, which means I have had her for basically every major moment in my adult life. It's not supposed to be normal. I have also lost a parent. I'm glad you felt comfortable enough expressing yourself on here. No normal way to deal with loss of somebody you love. Person or animal. Time is about it. 

our dog had to be put down last week.  this house is too quiet now and i hate it.  we are looking to adopt 2 dogs this coming week.  it seems kinda fast to do but we can give the dogs a good home and i selfishly want them to make me feel better.

Sorry for your loss.  Lost my cat a few years back and never really started feeling better until I got another pet, this time a puppy.  Still miss him a lot, but the new puppy (now dog) really helped me move on.

Edited by Mark80

2 hours ago, Goin Breakdown said:

That's a great thing man. Having the paintings. I'm kinda like you where I think about when they'd go and how I'm going to feel. Probably because I dread it knowing it's inevitable and having gone through it before. Thanks for you mr words man. Thank all of you for the poems and kind words. 

i'm glad you did this.  as far as guys go, this always seems to be one topic we're open to discussing emotionally, (women too, but we all know men have a bit more trouble here).  

the void will take time.  i was thinking back to my past animals, and all i have is warm, wonderful memoires.  the pain of their death over time has evolved into that, and i'm greatful for it.  i know it will for you too.

1 hour ago, Beach said:

our dog had to be put down last week.  this house is too quiet now and i hate it.  we are looking to adopt 2 dogs this coming week.  it seems kinda fast to do but we can give the dogs a good home and i selfishly want them to make me feel better.

When my dog passed away, we had a 2nd one.  She was a godsend in providing comfort.

• Thank you (+1) 1

So sorry for the loss of your cat. 

My wife's cat is 16. She is my wife's ride-and-die partner. They have a bond as I have never seen between a human and a pet. She jumps up on my wifes lap and will stay there for hours. We know the day is coming when she crosses the rainbow bridge. I'll have to be a pillar of support for my wife. Bella (the cat) has been there through my wife's divorce, remarriage to me, and my wife's cancer. 

3 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

sorry for the loss of your pet. as was mentioned we all go through it at some point or points in our life. I have lost many pets through the years and each one was just as hard as the first. I want to say I was about 9 when I lost my first, a cat, that was run over. the last was my kitty back in 2017. I had her for over 10 years. she came to me as a feral. I fed her and she stayed. she was not an indoor cat unless there was a storm or real cold weather. had to put her down as she developed a kidney disease. damn, it was hard to say good bye. have not had another pet since.

what was real hard was a couple weeks ago my grandson and his dad invited me to spend the day with them. we had lunch, played fortnite and enjoyed our company together. my grandson had a kitten, merlin, cutest little fella whom I played with. the following day he was run over. I hardly knew the little fella but that hurt. not only hurt from the loss but hurt for my grandson, who loved that kitten and he was devastated. 

losing a pet is a tough deal. they are family.

Awe dang man. I'm sorry for your grandson. I'm also impressed you're a Fortnite playing granddad. That cool stuff. Thanks for writing man

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MarkyMannn said:

The only dog I ever had, and was so connected with, died too young at 3am on my birthday in 2020. Guess what my only thought will ever be on my bday

Man. I can understand that would be hard to think about. 

31 minutes ago, Draconator said:

So sorry for the loss of your cat. 

My wife's cat is 16. She is my wife's ride-and-die partner. They have a bond as I have never seen between a human and a pet. She jumps up on my wifes lap and will stay there for hours. We know the day is coming when she crosses the rainbow bridge. I'll have to be a pillar of support for my wife. Bella (the cat) has been there through my wife's divorce, remarriage to me, and my wife's cancer. 

She's family man. She sounds sweet. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This is a bit off topic but I wanted to share this here.

https://www.sciencealert.com/dog-brains-have-unexpectedly-grown-larger-scientists-discover

If you're like my family, we speak to our dogs like people. The brighter ones, I think, pick up quite a bit after a couple years of living with their humans. I'm not surprised their brains are getting larger.

• Like (+1) 1

Losing a pet is brutal. We lost both of our dogs in 2019. One was our choice. She was old and it was time. Our younger one got sick with cancer and died very quickly at the age of 7 or so. That was brutal. 

4 years later and we still miss them both, but now we laugh when we think of them rather than get sad. It gets better. I'm sorry for you losing your cat.

32 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

This is a bit off topic but I wanted to share this here.

https://www.sciencealert.com/dog-brains-have-unexpectedly-grown-larger-scientists-discover

If you're like my family, we speak to our dogs like people. The brighter ones, I think, pick up quite a bit after a couple years of living with their humans. I'm not surprised their brains are getting larger.

That's crazy and  awesome. 

6 minutes ago, todd said:

Losing a pet is brutal. We lost both of our dogs in 2019. One was our choice. She was old and it was time. Our younger one got sick with cancer and died very quickly at the age of 7 or so. That was brutal. 

4 years later and we still miss them both, but now we laugh when we think of them rather than get sad. It gets better. I'm sorry for you losing your cat.

Thank you man. This guy will be a legend in this house. I look forward to laughing and remembering him that way. 

1 hour ago, Goin Breakdown said:

She's family man. She sounds sweet. 

It took Bella 9 years to fully accept me. Now when I work at my desk, she jumps up and sits right in front of me. That's her sign that she wants to be held. I hold her for like 5 minutes. She gets down, and 30 minutes later, she's right back up on my desk, rinse, repeat. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.