Players that ARE HOF inductees but should NOT be

Big Turk

4 hours ago, DrBob806 said:

Yes!!!

Thom Darden

Roger Wehrli....wait he was inducted 2007

You can't compare Darden and Polamalu.  They played in totally different eras.

And I still don't know what basis you're keeping Greene out other than you don't like that he played 3 seasons out of 15 for the Steelers.

6 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He is the definition of qbs getting too much credit for team success. A player who was never a top 10 players at his position should never be a HOFer. 

Agreed.  I never thought HOFer when watching Eli play and I wouldn't vote for him if I was a selector.  His brother and father were both better QBs.  But the rings get him in.  

1 hour ago, PatsFanNH said:

He had the ball back 5 times and that O only scored 16 points!!  They got all that time because the D got the turnovers.. they also were lucky that they didn’t change over to Johnny U earlier otherwise they probably lose.

Turnovers always help. But the fact remains, the Jets offense controlled 36 minutes of possession time against a defense that had lost twice in its last 30 games. A defense that was considered one of the best ever at the time and was the main reason Baltimore was such a prohibitive favorite heading into the game.That was the deciding factor. And it was Namath’s play calling, Namath’s quarterbacking, that drove it. 

But yeah, let’s let the stat line tell the whole story. It’s just so much easier than an actual breakdown of the game.

• Agree 1

On 5/15/2023 at 4:52 PM, DrBob806 said:

Kevin Greene

Troy Polomalu

There's simply way too many Steelers in the HOF. If Polomalu didn't have that long mane of hair, nobody would know who he was.

I agree with you on Greene, but Polomalu was deserving.

8 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I hope you’re kidding but this is one of the dumbest myths that is consistently said on this board. He paid whatever it took to keep those SB teams together when there was no cap. What players did he cheap out on? He gave TD full control and he got burned by it and then was really careful on who he trusted.

he also keep Buffalo, which was the 2nd poorest city in the country, when he could left and made billions like other bigger market teams did. He is the sole reason the Bills are still in Buffalo. If you don’t like Ralph, I don’t like you. 

also, multiple SBs and afc titles. So dumb to hate on that man. 

He didn’t murder anyone. Is this what we’re going to do now? Just assume guilt?

You can’t just assume those things though. You need to do what actually happened. 2,000 yard season, 2 time SB winner, MVP, SB MVP. That is dominant. Do you think Frank Gore is better because he played longer? I’d take Davis’ great over Gore’s longer pretty good any day of the week. 

Really you really believe Ralph Wilson was this Super Owner that kept the Buffalo Bills in Western New York because of his just kindness of his heart? Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse is 3.2 million people combined that is bigger than Las Vegas, Nevada that everyone drools over as this great sports market today. Second point that 3.2 people doesn’t include any of Southern Ontario Canada that is huge market for the NFL greedy owners. What the city of Buffalo has in it’s city limits poverty wise economically has no baring we are talking 10 home football games a season. Western New York is the franchise Buffalo is a a hub or middle man. If Buffalo was this hell hole dump it portrayed today we wouldn’t have attracted NBA or NHL franchises in the first place.

Third football is the easiest sport to support. With baseball is the hardest sport to support because of the number of games. Remember football is the easiest professional sport to support. The reality is Western New York with so few games fans have time to get in and out of the stadium for one game for 10 home games. But, but BSF the Buffalo Bills had empty seats in the 1970’s and 1980’s? Yes they did but it wasn’t WNY it was in fact Ralph Wilson meddling and cheapness fans had enough. We lost players over $10,000 that is how ridiculously cheap Ralph Wilson was. That he traded Ron McDole that was a sin to the Washington Redskins he plays 8 more years and gets to a Super Bowl. Ralph Wilson traded Daryle Lamonica my father talked about that trade until the day he passed away in 1999. I get it younger Buffalo Bills fans saw at the end the kind old grandfather Ralph Wilson who when he passed away gave away his fortune to Buffalo and Detroit which was fabulous and a surprise a nice surprise for Buffalo. But understand there were two Ralph Wilson’s the kind Ralph Wilson that most today saw later on in Ralph Wilson’s life and the meddling cheap Ralph Wilson that was just as accurate as Ralph Wilson was the greatest ever who saved the Buffalo Bills. Ralph Wilson made a fortune choosing Buffalo over Louisville after Miami his original choice for the Bills said no. Again there is no issue there what I take issue with is portraying Buffalo as desperate and inferior that isn’t accurate and certainly doesn’t speak for this current Buffalonian and Buffalo Bills fan.

Again if Ralph Wilson never came to Buffalo in the AFL we would have ended up with professional football potentially with the Chicago Cardinals NFL instead of St Louis in 1961. Or another AFL owner later in the AFL expansion when Miami and Cincinnati came on board with the AFL. The Chicago Cardinals were playing games here to test the market at Buffalo War Memorial Stadium in the 1950’s. If not them we would have had WFL by 1974 most likely John Basset that Canadian government wouldn’t allow the Toronto Northmen to protect the CFL

franchises in Canada so he moved to Memphis to become the Memphis Southmen than the Memphis Grizzlies so he could have just calling them the Buffalo Northmen WFL at War Memorial Stadium. I think he would have moved to Buffalo if the market was open by 1974 because remember he already had a WTT tennis franchise in both markets split between Toronto and Buffalo the Buffalo-Toronto Royals WTT at Buffalo Memorial Auditorium. USFL by 1983 again even with the Buffalo Bills at Rich Stadium a group of Buffalo investors was looking at acquiring a Buffalo USFL expansion franchise for the potential dome stadium that was what Pilot Field was originally going to be a 40,000 seat dome like what the Tampa Bay Rays have today but New York State would only give 1/2 the public money where did I here that before? Oh yeah the new Buffalo Bills stadium with no dome. Ok anyway that is how we got Pilot Field open air expandable if Buffalo got MLB in 1988. But remember the Buffalo Bills by 1984 and 1985 people were fed up with Ralph Wilson and investors saw a opportunity just like the Tampa Bay Bandits because the Tampa Bay Buccaneers sucked so bad in the mid 1980’s. Again the USFL folded before the Buffalo Pilot Field money was even approved so we never got to see we’re the Buffalo USFL bid would have went if the USFL survived longer. Or CFL expansion to the US in the 1990’s. My point Buffalo would get something to replace the Buffalo Bills same deal with the Buffalo Sabres there is always someone looking to make a buck in sports. We need to let private business take care of it and politicians shouldn’t be involved in the sports business negotiating with billionaires owners lawyers. We know how that is going to turn out 99.9% of the time the owners lawyers win over the incompetent clueless politicians. 

Some Buffalo Bills fans needed to get over this inferior desperation oh no the Buffalo Bills are going to move spare me as a Buffalo Bills fan. I will believe it when I see the moving vans. No one cried wolf longer than the two owners of the Buffalo Bills. Again I hope the Buffalo Bills stay forever in Buffalo but if they don’t bring on the Buffalo CFL expansion team and working on Buffalo hosting a Grey Cup game someday because frankly the Bills leaving Buffalo is as boring as hell. I have $850 million dollars as reasons why now if the Buffalo Bills left tomorrow expansion CFL Buffalo Americans the 10th CFL franchise bring on Buffalo vs Toronto, Buffalo vs Hamilton, Buffalo vs Ottawa and Buffalo vs Montreal. And some people saying if the Buffalo Bills left Buffalo would be in mourning never to watch another football game again are dreaming. Again Buffalo would still watch and gamble on the NFL like always even if the Buffalo Bills moved to another city. But Buffalo fans would also go tailgating and be the talk of Eastern CFL football if that is all we have if the Buffalo Bills moved out of Buffalo. My evidence our Canadian rivals in both NHL hockey Buffalo Sabres and NLL lacrosse Buffalo Bandits already.

So as a Buffalo Bills fan save me the drama oh what is Buffalo going to do if the Buffalo Bills left Buffalo. Buffalo would be like St Louis, Oakland or San Diego? No Buffalo isn’t like those cities we have options as a boarder city to Canada the CFL owners would take Buffalo and laugh at the stupidity of the NFL owners like Jerry Jones leaving such a good football market. We can agree to disagree at the end of the day some business person would play professional football in Western New York especially now with the new Buffalo Bills stadium. I could care less what Jerry Jones Legends and the NFL owners have to say as a Buffalo football fan. I would hang up and tell Jerry Jones we are leaving you for greener pastures where professional football is affordable without PSL’s and threats every decade with here we go again Bills and the NFL owner crying wolf about moving out of Buffalo in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

13 hours ago, jaybills said:

Totally agree with this guy

Disagree Joe Namath was entertaining a happening when he came to play in any NFL city in the late 1960’s through the 1970’s. Joe Namath was huge to me my generation a bigger deal than Tom Brady because he played in New York City not Jersey New York City which was Madison Avenue and Broadway. He was in television commercials, television shows and movies. Women wanted him and men wanted to be like Joe Namath because he was cool a cultural iconic figure. Trust me I am more interested in talking to Joe Namath than Tom Brady that seems uncool and a total bore regardless if he has 20 Super Bowl rings he is boring and that is why he will fail on Fox television it’s like listening to Mark Messier great hockey player with multiple Stanley Cups a total bore on television in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

11 hours ago, K-9 said:

Turnovers always help. But the fact remains, the Jets offense controlled 36 minutes of possession time against a defense that had lost twice in its last 30 games. A defense that was considered one of the best ever at the time and was the main reason Baltimore was such a prohibitive favorite heading into the game.That was the deciding factor. And it was Namath’s play calling, Namath’s quarterbacking, that drove it. 

But yeah, let’s let the stat line tell the whole story. It’s just so much easier than an actual breakdown of the game.

Ok, they had 3 more 1st downs, and 13 more total yards. AGAIN the D won the game for him.  You point to time of possession but failed notice every other state was practically even which means.. OMG the TO made the difference.. The Colts tan for more yards and Namath had 30 more yards passing.. (the total yards effected by the 2 sacks)

So it wasn’t Namaths Quarterbacking skills, but rather his D’s ball hawking skills that won that SB.  If they didn’t bail him out the final score been 31-7 and Namath would be a trivia question like “who was the scrub aQB who guaranteed victory and got his butt kicked”. Kind of sad that’s the best QB the Jets ever had till they got Rogers this year. 

• Disagree 1

8 hours ago, I am leaving for good said:

Disagree Joe Namath was entertaining a happening when he came to play in any NFL city in the late 1960’s through the 1970’s. Joe Namath was huge to me my generation a bigger deal than Tom Brady because he played in New York City not Jersey New York City which was Madison Avenue and Broadway. He was in television commercials, television shows and movies. Women wanted him and men wanted to be like Joe Namath because he was cool a cultural iconic figure. Trust me I am more interested in talking to Joe Namath than Tom Brady that seems uncool and a total bore regardless if he has 20 Super Bowl rings he is boring and that is why he will fail on Fox television it’s like listening to Mark Messier great hockey player with multiple Stanley Cups a total bore on television in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

You are right he was an icon back then.  Doesn’t change the fact he should never ever have gone to the HOF. He was not a great QB and his one SB win was all because of his D.  I myself wouldn’t want talk to the man as unlike you I find his ego was a billion times bigger than his talent. I myself would rather meet Hockey players, they don’t have body guard and if you mouth off to them they will beat the crap out of you personally lol. 

8 hours ago, I am leaving for good said:

Really you really believe Ralph Wilson was this Super Owner that kept the Buffalo Bills in Western New York because of his just kindness of his heart? Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse is 3.2 million people combined that is bigger than Las Vegas, Nevada that everyone drools over as this great sports market today. Second point that 3.2 people doesn’t include any of Southern Ontario Canada that is huge market for the NFL greedy owners. What the city of Buffalo has in it’s city limits poverty wise economically has no baring we are talking 10 home football games a season. Western New York is the franchise Buffalo is a a hub or middle man. If Buffalo was this hell hole dump it portrayed today we wouldn’t have attracted NBA or NHL franchises in the first place.

Third football is the easiest sport to support. With baseball is the hardest sport to support because of the number of games. Remember football is the easiest professional sport to support. The reality is Western New York with so few games fans have time to get in and out of the stadium for one game for 10 home games. But, but BSF the Buffalo Bills had empty seats in the 1970’s and 1980’s? Yes they did but it wasn’t WNY it was in fact Ralph Wilson meddling and cheapness fans had enough. We lost players over $10,000 that is how ridiculously cheap Ralph Wilson was. That he traded Ron McDole that was a sin to the Washington Redskins he plays 8 more years and gets to a Super Bowl. Ralph Wilson traded Daryle Lamonica my father talked about that trade until the day he passed away in 1999. I get it younger Buffalo Bills fans saw at the end the kind old grandfather Ralph Wilson who when he passed away gave away his fortune to Buffalo and Detroit which was fabulous and a surprise a nice surprise for Buffalo. But understand there were two Ralph Wilson’s the kind Ralph Wilson that most today saw later on in Ralph Wilson’s life and the meddling cheap Ralph Wilson that was just as accurate as Ralph Wilson was the greatest ever who saved the Buffalo Bills. Ralph Wilson made a fortune choosing Buffalo over Louisville after Miami his original choice for the Bills said no. Again there is no issue there what I take issue with is portraying Buffalo as desperate and inferior that isn’t accurate and certainly doesn’t speak for this current Buffalonian and Buffalo Bills fan.

Again if Ralph Wilson never came to Buffalo in the AFL we would have ended up with professional football potentially with the Chicago Cardinals NFL instead of St Louis in 1961. Or another AFL owner later in the AFL expansion when Miami and Cincinnati came on board with the AFL. The Chicago Cardinals were playing games here to test the market at Buffalo War Memorial Stadium in the 1950’s. If not them we would have had WFL by 1974 most likely John Basset that Canadian government wouldn’t allow the Toronto Northmen to protect the CFL

franchises in Canada so he moved to Memphis to become the Memphis Southmen than the Memphis Grizzlies so he could have just calling them the Buffalo Northmen WFL at War Memorial Stadium. I think he would have moved to Buffalo if the market was open by 1974 because remember he already had a WTT tennis franchise in both markets split between Toronto and Buffalo the Buffalo-Toronto Royals WTT at Buffalo Memorial Auditorium. USFL by 1983 again even with the Buffalo Bills at Rich Stadium a group of Buffalo investors was looking at acquiring a Buffalo USFL expansion franchise for the potential dome stadium that was what Pilot Field was originally going to be a 40,000 seat dome like what the Tampa Bay Rays have today but New York State would only give 1/2 the public money where did I here that before? Oh yeah the new Buffalo Bills stadium with no dome. Ok anyway that is how we got Pilot Field open air expandable if Buffalo got MLB in 1988. But remember the Buffalo Bills by 1984 and 1985 people were fed up with Ralph Wilson and investors saw a opportunity just like the Tampa Bay Bandits because the Tampa Bay Buccaneers sucked so bad in the mid 1980’s. Again the USFL folded before the Buffalo Pilot Field money was even approved so we never got to see we’re the Buffalo USFL bid would have went if the USFL survived longer. Or CFL expansion to the US in the 1990’s. My point Buffalo would get something to replace the Buffalo Bills same deal with the Buffalo Sabres there is always someone looking to make a buck in sports. We need to let private business take care of it and politicians shouldn’t be involved in the sports business negotiating with billionaires owners lawyers. We know how that is going to turn out 99.9% of the time the owners lawyers win over the incompetent clueless politicians. 

Some Buffalo Bills fans needed to get over this inferior desperation oh no the Buffalo Bills are going to move spare me as a Buffalo Bills fan. I will believe it when I see the moving vans. No one cried wolf longer than the two owners of the Buffalo Bills. Again I hope the Buffalo Bills stay forever in Buffalo but if they don’t bring on the Buffalo CFL expansion team and working on Buffalo hosting a Grey Cup game someday because frankly the Bills leaving Buffalo is as boring as hell. I have $850 million dollars as reasons why now if the Buffalo Bills left tomorrow expansion CFL Buffalo Americans the 10th CFL franchise bring on Buffalo vs Toronto, Buffalo vs Hamilton, Buffalo vs Ottawa and Buffalo vs Montreal. And some people saying if the Buffalo Bills left Buffalo would be in mourning never to watch another football game again are dreaming. Again Buffalo would still watch and gamble on the NFL like always even if the Buffalo Bills moved to another city. But Buffalo fans would also go tailgating and be the talk of Eastern CFL football if that is all we have if the Buffalo Bills moved out of Buffalo. My evidence our Canadian rivals in both NHL hockey Buffalo Sabres and NLL lacrosse Buffalo Bandits already.

So as a Buffalo Bills fan save me the drama oh what is Buffalo going to do if the Buffalo Bills left Buffalo. Buffalo would be like St Louis, Oakland or San Diego? No Buffalo isn’t like those cities we have options as a boarder city to Canada the CFL owners would take Buffalo and laugh at the stupidity of the NFL owners like Jerry Jones leaving such a good football market. We can agree to disagree at the end of the day some business person would play professional football in Western New York especially now with the new Buffalo Bills stadium. I could care less what Jerry Jones Legends and the NFL owners have to say as a Buffalo football fan. I would hang up and tell Jerry Jones we are leaving you for greener pastures where professional football is affordable without PSL’s and threats every decade with here we go again Bills and the NFL owner crying wolf about moving out of Buffalo in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Have you considered hiring out to high schoolers who need those 500-1000 word essays when their teachers assign 'punishment papers'?

• Haha (+1) 2

On 5/15/2023 at 5:37 PM, 947 said:

Agreed!

Namath played 13 seasons, and he less than 50% completion rate in 7 of them. He had more TDs than INTs in only 1 of his 13 seasons.

His best season was 4,004 yards, 26 TDs, 28 INTs, 52.5% Completion.

Career completion rate of 50.1% does not belong in the HOF, regardless of era. Career 173 TDs with... 220 INTs.

Yes, but the NYC Press dosn't care.  that is why I always LOVE it when the Bills beat the Jets or Giants.  the NY press then is shocked! 

On 5/15/2023 at 7:24 PM, hondo in seattle said:

This will be controversial, but I believe if Eric Moulds played for that Steeler team, he'd be in the HOF instead of Swann.  But Moulds has no chance because his career in Buffalo was barely noticed despite his talent.    

Yep . . THIS!  Sad!😢

On 5/15/2023 at 7:52 PM, DrBob806 said:

Kevin Greene

Troy Polomalu

There's simply way too many Steelers in the HOF. If Polomalu didn't have that long mane of hair, nobody would know who he was.

Head and Shoulders certainly took advantage of it...

• Like (+1) 1

agree - here is the list

https://www.steelers.com/history/hall-of-fame/

one thing that amazes me is that both receivers Stallworth and Swann who were teammates are in, likely due to Super Bowl performances esp Swann, which is an advantage over other players who may have not even made the playoffs and the extra media coverage..if I had to pick one..Stallworth

On 5/16/2023 at 3:39 AM, BuffBillsForLife said:

Terrell Davis

Terrell Davis played in 8 postseason games and had 1,140 yards, 5.6 ypc, and 12 touchdowns -- all vs the toughest competition. Extrapolated to a full 16 game season, it becomes 2,280 yards and 24 touchdowns -- which would be the greatest rushing season ever. And he won a SB MVP.

The NFL rightly rewards postseason greatness because it's all about winning championships, after all. It's better than the MLB system, which downplays postseason numbers. 

Edited by dave mcbride

On 5/16/2023 at 9:54 AM, Billz4ever said:

You're going to have to explain Art Monk to me.  Until Jerry Rice broke them, he owned a number of receiving records.

He held the record for receptions in a season until 1992.  Set the all-time record (at the time) for receptions at 820, first player to reach 900, and pushed it to 940 for his career.

Retired with most consecutive games with a catch (at the time 183).

Won 3 Super Bowls, 3x Pro Bowl selection, 2x All-Pro and named to NFL 1980 All-Decade Team.

One of the most dependable and consistent WR's in history.

He's basically Andre Reed with 3 rings.  

Also, in 15 post season games, he had 69 catches for 1,062 yards and 7 TDs. Those were great single-season numbers for a receiver in that era.

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

Really Art Monk?  

Being very good and consistent at catching 10-12 yard passes for many years isn't enough for me to believe someone should be in the HOF. When did a team ever game plan to stop Art Monk? The answer is never.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.