Players that ARE HOF inductees but should NOT be

Big Turk

Ray Lewis.  No way he should have been voted into the hall in his first year of eligibility, if ever.  That entire double-murder case (which remains unsolved 23 years later) still smells.  

12 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Ralph- he was too cheap 

I hope you’re kidding but this is one of the dumbest myths that is consistently said on this board. He paid whatever it took to keep those SB teams together when there was no cap. What players did he cheap out on? He gave TD full control and he got burned by it and then was really careful on who he trusted.

he also keep Buffalo, which was the 2nd poorest city in the country, when he could left and made billions like other bigger market teams did. He is the sole reason the Bills are still in Buffalo. If you don’t like Ralph, I don’t like you. 

also, multiple SBs and afc titles. So dumb to hate on that man. 

11 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Ray Lewis.  No way he should have been voted into the hall in his first year of eligibility, if ever.  That entire double-murder case (which remains unsolved 23 years later) still smells.  

He didn’t murder anyone. Is this what we’re going to do now? Just assume guilt?

14 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I think Terrell Davis benefited from an amazing OL/system and had a HOF QB.  His output was great for a couple years but I dont think that happens with pretty much any other team.   

You can’t just assume those things though. You need to do what actually happened. 2,000 yard season, 2 time SB winner, MVP, SB MVP. That is dominant. Do you think Frank Gore is better because he played longer? I’d take Davis’ great over Gore’s longer pretty good any day of the week. 

• Agree 2

17 hours ago, DrBob806 said:

Kevin Greene

Troy Polomalu

There's simply way too many Steelers in the HOF. If Polomalu didn't have that long mane of hair, nobody would know who he was.

Except Greene was already an established pass rusher before he even went to Pittsburgh and still was after he left there.

He only played three seasons with the Steelers anyway.  He still had 4 very productive years between SF and Carolina after he left Pitt.

You want to keep out the guy 3rd all-time in sacks, who put up at least 10 sacks in 10 different seasons and at least 10 sacks in a season with 4 different teams, for playing three seasons of a 15-year career in Pittsburgh simply because you think the Steelers have too many?

And as far as Polamalu, name me the players at his position who were better than he was and aren't in the HOF, and who were that good for that long. 

Edited by Billz4ever

Eli Manning will be a first ballot HOFer but I'm not sure he deserves to be in at all...

CAREER WINS

117-117 Career wins = .500

Jim Plunket, the only QB in NFL History with 2x Super Bowl wins whose not in the HOF, was also exactly a .500 QB.

For comparison, Cam Newton was .528, Andy Dalton .519, Jake Plummer .507

COMPLETION %

60.3% completion percentage in the passing era

5% lower than his peers

Tied for 59th all time

PRO BOWLS

ONLY 4 Pro Bowls in 16 years

ALL PRO SEASONS

ZERO

NFC OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK - IN 16 YEARS

ONLY 4x

INTERCEPTIONS

LEAD THE LEAGUE 3x - 2007, 2010, 2013

#9 most interceptions in League History

PLAYOFFS

ONLY made playoffs 6x in 16 years.

WINNING SEASONS

ONLY 7 winning seasons in 16 years.

REASON HE’S GETTING IN DESPITE THE EVIDENCE AGAINST.

1: Longevity during the Passing era of football.

#10 on Passing Yards All time - 57,023

#10 on Passing TDs all time - 366

#10 on Passing Completions all time - 4,895

(For reference, Matt Ryan and Phillip Rivers are both higher on list)

2: Beating Tom Brady in SB 2x.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GerstAusGosheim said:

Eli Manning will be a first ballot HOFer but I'm not sure he deserves to be in at all...

CAREER WINS

117-117 Career wins = .500

Jim Plunket, the only QB in NFL History with 2x Super Bowl wins whose not in the HOF, was also exactly a .500 QB.

For comparison, Cam Newton was .528, Andy Dalton .519, Jake Plummer .507

COMPLETION %

60.3% completion percentage in the passing era

5% lower than his peers

Tied for 59th all time

PRO BOWLS

ONLY 4 Pro Bowls in 16 years

ALL PRO SEASONS

ZERO

NFC OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK - IN 16 YEARS

ONLY 4x

INTERCEPTIONS

LEAD THE LEAGUE 3x - 2007, 2010, 2013

#9 most interceptions in League History

PLAYOFFS

ONLY made playoffs 6x in 16 years.

WINNING SEASONS

ONLY 7 winning seasons in 16 years.

REASON HE’S GETTING IN DESPITE THE EVIDENCE AGAINST.

1: Longevity during the Passing era of football.

#10 on Passing Yards All time - 57,023

#10 on Passing TDs all time - 366

#10 on Passing Completions all time - 4,895

(For reference, Matt Ryan and Phillip Rivers are both higher on list)

2: Beating Tom Brady in SB 2x.

He is the definition of qbs getting too much credit for team success. A player who was never a top 10 players at his position should never be a HOFer. 

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Lynn Swann

He was a part of a Pittsburg team that won championships, but he never even had a single 1000 yard season and he isn't even in the top 250 players in all-time receiving yards.

For comparison, Ted Ginn Jr (who was considered a bust at wr) has more receiving yards than him.

I would have to compare him to guys in his Era, the new numbers are insane. We could throw alot of people out with that line of thinking.

Though I admit I haven't checked Swanns numbers against those in his Era, you may still be right.

59 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Except Greene was already an established pass rusher before he even went to Pittsburgh and still was after he left there.

He only played three seasons with the Steelers anyway.  He still had 4 very productive years between SF and Carolina after he left Pitt.

You want to keep out the guy 3rd all-time in sacks, who put up at least 10 sacks in 10 different seasons and at least 10 sacks in a season with 4 different teams, for playing three seasons of a 15-year career in Pittsburgh simply because you think the Steelers have too many?

Yes!!!

59 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

And as far as Polamalu, name me the players at his position who were better than he was and aren't in the HOF, and who were that good for that long. 

Thom Darden

Roger Wehrli....wait he was inducted 2007

Edited by DrBob806

5 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

In his second to last season he got 10 sacks as a Raider. If that's mailing it in I'll take that over what Ed Oliver's done so far. 

Good for him. I never saw the Raiders win a Lombardi trophy while he was there.

I guess everyone is cool with my choice of Cris Carter?

19 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

I’ll defend Bradshaw in this way. Unlike Namath, whose D won him that one SB. While Bradshaw won 4 and was responsible for a couple of them.. 

Namath had the Jets offense on the field for over 36 minutes in SB 3 so while the Jets D played well, they weren’t on the field long enough to be the deciding factor. In an era when QBs called their own plays and the still wide hash marks essentially denied offenses a third of the field, Namath orchestrated a masterful game. He had the vaunted Colts defense running all over the field. He earned every bit of that MVP award because the people who voted for it understood the difference between a mere passer and a quarterback.

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Re:  Ray Lewis:  Inconclusive on murder because he pled to an obstruction charge, thereby preventing a trial.  The white suit he wore that night was never recovered, he pled guilty to obstructing justice in a double-murder investigation, was fined $250k by the league, served a 12-month probation by the league, and settled out of court in two confidential settlements with the victims families.

That sort of mess would make me slow-roll his candidacy into the hall if I were a voter.   That case impacted his on the field playing career, which we're told is all that matters for a HOF vote, and the NFL pretends it never happened.

23 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Lynn Swann

He was a part of a Pittsburg team that won championships, but he never even had a single 1000 yard season and he isn't even in the top 250 players in all-time receiving yards.

For comparison, Ted Ginn Jr (who was considered a bust at wr) has more receiving yards than him.

Different eras for sure.  I’m no Steelers fan, but Lynn Swan was great.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I hope you’re kidding but this is one of the dumbest myths that is consistently said on this board. He paid whatever it took to keep those SB teams together when there was no cap. What players did he cheap out on? He gave TD full control and he got burned by it and then was really careful on who he trusted.

he also keep Buffalo, which was the 2nd poorest city in the country, when he could left and made billions like other bigger market teams did. He is the sole reason the Bills are still in Buffalo. If you don’t like Ralph, I don’t like you. 

also, multiple SBs and afc titles. So dumb to hate on that man. 

You can’t just assume those things though. You need to do what actually happened. 2,000 yard season, 2 time SB winner, MVP, SB MVP. That is dominant. Do you think Frank Gore is better because he played longer? I’d take Davis’ great over Gore’s longer pretty good any day of the week. 

Didn't he make Kelly the highest paid player in the NFL when he signed here?

EDIT: 

He did...actually the highest paid player in NFL history which at the time was a 5 year $7.5 million dollar contract. My how times have changed.

If I recall, Polian didn't want to do it and Ralph told him that he had to or else he wouldn't have a team here anymore and he'd have to pack up and leave if they lost Kelly.

https://buffalonews.com/online/bn-blitz-on-this-day-looking-back-at-the-jim-kelly-signing/article_354027ce-ffcf-11eb-b693-d3c066b5850f.html#:~:text=Thirty-five years ago today,' new million-dollar arm.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

Namath had the Jets offense on the field for over 36 minutes in SB 3 so while the Jets D played well, they weren’t on the field long enough to be the deciding factor. In an era when QBs called their own plays and the still wide hash marks essentially denied offenses a third of the field, Namath orchestrated a masterful game. He had the vaunted Colts defense running all over the field. He earned every bit of that MVP award because the people who voted for it understood the difference between a mere passer and a quarterback.

He had the ball back 5 times and that O only scored 16 points!!  They got all that time because the D got the turnovers.. they also were lucky that they didn’t change over to Johnny U earlier otherwise they probably lose.

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.