Players that ARE HOF inductees but should NOT be

Big Turk

I know he hasn't been inducted yet, but I'm still gonna say Frank Gore.  The guy had one great season.  Really good football player for a lot of years, but doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, 947 said:

Agreed!

Namath played 13 seasons, and he less than 50% completion rate in 7 of them. He had more TDs than INTs in only 1 of his 13 seasons.

His best season was 4,004 yards, 26 TDs, 28 INTs, 52.5% Completion.

Career completion rate of 50.1% does not belong in the HOF, regardless of era. Career 173 TDs with... 220 INTs.

But he was cool. 

1 hour ago, PatsFanNH said:

I’ll defend Bradshaw in this way. Unlike Namath, whose D won him that one SB. While Bradshaw won 4 and was responsible for a couple of them.. 

Terry's career numbers

70 qb rating

212 tds

210 ints

51% completion

Without that defense he doesn't get 4 rings.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

Got more credit than he deserved on a Buccaneers defense that was loaded. Went to the Raiders and mailed in his career.

I know I'm in the minority on Sapp. Just my opinion.

The Raiders made Sapp play 3-4 DE, which was a horrible mis-cast, correctly predicted by just about everyone when it happened. He was absolutely dominant as a 3-techique DT in Tampa's 4-3. Imagine Kyle Williams trying to play 3-4 DE...

Sapp earned his gold jacket IMO.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 947 said:

The Raiders made Sapp play 3-4 DE, which was a horrible mis-cast, correctly predicted by just about everyone when it happened. He was absolutely dominant as a 3-techique DT in Tampa's 4-3. Imagine Kyle Williams trying to play 3-4 DE...

Sapp earned his gold jacket IMO.

Kyle did play some 3-4 end with Rex 

5 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I mostly agree about Namath not belonging, BUT...

Professional football used to be more about running than passing.  Namath was one of the very first gunslingers.  In 1967, Namath became the first pro quarterback to pass for over 4,000 yards.  The feat wasn't repeated for another 12 years when Dan Fouts did it with Air Coryell.  

And, remember, when the AFL and NFL merged, the AFC was considered the junior league.  Namath's confidence going into the third Super Bowl as huge underdogs was memorable.  The Jets victory, with Namath as MVP, changed the AFC's perception and helped the popularity of the league.  

I don't know if you ever watched Namath play.  I did.  He was a beat-up, weak-kneed wreck in the second half of his career.  In his prime, he was a real threat.  

Thank you for the needed perspective. Nose pickers using statistics to justify their demeaning takes of an era they know nothing about is simply nauseating. By their 7 season, the AFL was so popular, they forced the NFL to merge and Namath was the catalyst 3 YEARS BEFORE SBIII! Will any of these upstart leagues today accomplish that? Highly unlikely.

#Context.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Thank you for the needed perspective. Nose pickers using statistics to justify their demeaning takes of an era they know nothing about is simply nauseating. By their 7 season, the AFL was so popular, they forced the NFL to merge and Namath was the catalyst 3 YEARS BEFORE SBIII! Will any of these upstart leagues today accomplish that? Highly unlikely.

#Context.

Namath changed the game 

His deep ball was uncanny and the ball flew with the flick of a wrist 

sometimes stats are overrated 

best QB ever? No

was he upper echelon in his generation? Yea

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Lynn Swann

He was a part of a Pittsburg team that won championships, but he never even had a single 1000 yard season and he isn't even in the top 250 players in all-time receiving yards.

For comparison, Ted Ginn Jr (who was considered a bust at wr) has more receiving yards than him.

The benefit of playing on a dominant Super Bowl winning team.  It also helped that he was in broadcasting at the time of his induction.  He should not be in the HOF

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Terry's career numbers

70 qb rating

212 tds

210 ints

51% completion

If anything this is an argument against Kelly/Marino.  Some players in all sports get through the regular games, then shine on the biggest stages.  I'll forever dislike the Steelers, but Bradshaw was a huge part of the magical moments which made the NFL great, once upon a time.  

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Momma Pecoraro said:

Bob Uecker

You put up with Mr. Belevedere and your annoying son Wesley, and you're entitled to some considerations.

9 hours ago, mannc said:

I know he hasn't been inducted yet, but I'm still gonna say Frank Gore.  The guy had one great season.  Really good football player for a lot of years, but doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame.  

That's a third thread.  Players probably going in but shouldn't be.

10 hours ago, mannc said:

Eli Manning falls in that category for me. At no point was he even considered a top 5 QB of his era. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, DrBob806 said:

Kevin Greene

Troy Polomalu

There's simply way too many Steelers in the HOF. If Polomalu didn't have that long mane of hair, nobody would know who he was.

Greene only played in Pittsburg for three years. He had eight 10+ sack seasons on other teams, and the only players with more career sacks are Bruce, Reggie White, and possibly Deacon Jones. Being third or fourth in career sacks is HOF worthy. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Terry's career numbers

70 qb rating

212 tds

210 ints

51% completion

My point was he was SB MVP Twice.. SB 13 and 14 where they scored 35 and 31 points. That usually makes most people say “ok he is good enough be a HOFer”. 

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Got more credit than he deserved on a Buccaneers defense that was loaded. Went to the Raiders and mailed in his career.

I know I'm in the minority on Sapp. Just my opinion.

In his second to last season he got 10 sacks as a Raider. If that's mailing it in I'll take that over what Ed Oliver's done so far. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.