Quinnen Williams scrubs Jets from his Twitter page

wppete

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/05/15/quinnen-williams-scrubs-jets-from-his-twitter-page/

Social media has become a tool for sending messages. And Jets defensive tackle Quinnen Williams has sent a pointed one to his current team.

Williams has removed any reference to the Jets from his Twitter page. After the title “Defensive Tackle for,” there is now a stream of periods.

The move comes at a time when Williams is boycotting voluntary offseason workouts as he tries to get a new deal. Recent reports have suggested that a major gap remains between the parties’ positions.

The defensive tackle market currently has Aaron Donald of the Rams far and away above the others, at $31.667 million annually. More than $8 million per year below Donald is Titans defensive tackle Jeffery Simmons, at $23.5 million. Commanders defensive tackle Daron Payne and Giants defensive tackle Dexter Lawrence are next, at $22.5 million.

So where does Williams want to land in the gap between Simmons and Donald? That’s likely the issue between the Jets and Williams. And, currently, Williams is making it clear he’s not happy with where things stand.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I know this is common practiced for disgruntled NFL player, but it feels very middle school-ish to me. 

these guys are such children..."I''ll scrub you from my feeds and let you deal with THAT!!"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I think they’ll get a deal done. I’m thinking he’ll get 25/26m. 

That’s a huge number but he is an incredible player. What would an Ed Oliver deal look like? Let’s hope nothing close to that. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Dov Kleiman on Twitter: "𝗨𝗽𝗱𝗮𝘁𝗲: #Jets star DT Quinnen Williams bio now reads: "Defensive Tackle for ………" With his last tweet is a RT of the contract the #Giants gave Dexter Lawrence - $90 million with $60 million guaranteed. Williams is clearly sending the Jets a message as they're working… https://t.co/cHVY4npXxW" / Twitter

12 minutes ago, Augie said:

I know this is common practiced for disgruntled NFL players, but it feels very middle school-ish to me. 

That’s because it is, 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, wppete said:

That’s a huge number but he is an incredible player. What would an Ed Oliver deal look like? Let’s hope nothing close to that. 

Depends how Ed plays in 2023.  

Based on last season play-  I think 12-16M

I expect him to play better this year and likely play himself out of Buffalo 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Depends how Ed plays in 2023.  

Based on last season play-  I think 12-16M

I expect him to play better this year and likely play himself out of Buffalo 

Well let’s hope he has the season of his life next year. No way we can afford anything near $20m. He can walk and we get a comp pick I guess. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Beane, make it happen!!!

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

Well Beane, pick up the phone and your problem of no DT's under contract in 2024 can be solved😎

*Whispers..... Ed Oliver + 1st 

*Hears.....Shouting from TBD Posters  "CAP! CAP! CAP!"  

"Flap! Flap! Flap!"

• Haha (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Gregg said:

It would be such a shame if he isn't out there on 9/11 :)

Being honest, I totally read this as some crazy political thing! 😞 9/11 is also my birthday.

and social media might be the dumbest thing ever. Players do this because they are mad, then they get paid, and talk about how they never wanted to leave. He will be out there. Such much desperate attention seeking. 

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Well Beane, pick up the phone and your problem of no DT's under contract in 2024 can be solved😎

*Whispers..... Ed Oliver + 1st 

*Hears.....Shouting from TBD Posters  "CAP! CAP! CAP!"  

Are you trade Ed Oliver guy in every thread?

• Eyeroll 1

24 minutes ago, Augie said:

I know this is common practiced for disgruntled NFL players, but it feels very middle school-ish to me. 

23 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

these guys are such children..."I''ll scrub you from my feeds and let you deal with THAT!!"

It really might be more sophisticated than that... I'm sure the pr/marketing/social media depts have metrics around engagement of social media posts (and I'm sure agents have that as well, as do media companies).

Imagine Russ Brandon still running the team and there not being a wall between football ops and organizational ops... there's gotta be a better reason that players do that than to just publicly apply pressure, but I'm also a data analyst who people sometimes say has a utopian view of the way business should be run and this to me is perfect for trying to collect data to show the value of a player off the field as well and get places like espn to pick up the story because they see the engagement data of their audience with that social media scrubbing.

30 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I think they’ll get a deal done. I’m thinking he’ll get 25/26m. 

They’re 41M in the red for 2024.  It’s possible, but I’d love to see them take on another +$20M contract.  Jets have swung for the fences and are going to have to get very creative the next few years with their cap. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.