Four roster needs the Bills still must address

BillsFan619

12 hours ago, ngbills said:

Weakest positions:

ILB

WR2

RT

Edge Rusher

I would say the bolded aren't necessarily weak positions, however I would classify them as "unknown". We have a rather large group of guys in the MLB mix. We don't yet really know what The young guys there will bring. Spencer Brown, if you go back to his rookie year he played reasonably well. Off year last year due to possibly the back injury. We don't know. We will see. 

While I would agree EDGE could use some help the continued narrative on this board and others about WR2 is ludicrous. Davis is a suitable WR2. He is NOT a WR 1B which is what people expect him to be.  He's not Tee Higgins, who people often try and compare his stats to. He would literally start as a WR2 on at least half of the teams in the NFL. If the Bills can get Knox, Kincaid and one of the new WRs to be more productive as well as show some semblance of a running game it would free Davis up to be an even bigger weapon. A pretty standard way to attack the Bills offense last year was to bracket cover Diggs and put a CB1 on Davis because no one else could step up as a threat. If we have one more guy step up teams have to play a bit more balanced. 

15 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

If they think we need more rb's then I question their knowledge of the team. 

True for DT as well.  As for ILB, they do not have a player currently at Edmunds level but they certainly have options to compete, and better options than are currently in the open market.  I would like to see an upgrade at swing tackle, but not sure what is out there right now that would be better. 

15 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

ILB

DT

RB

Offensive Line

Does the mafia agree? Thoughts?

Here’s the full article if you want to take a deep dive: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/4-roster-needs-bills-still-114503349.html

Go Bills!

RB my gosh when will it ever end? 

I agree on RT, it's one of the biggest risks going into the season, banking on Spencer Brown to become a legitimate starter based on what he's shown. 

DT has become much less of a need since Phillips came back, and they signed Poona Ford, you only normally keep 4 anyways. 

They already have 11 Offensive Lineman as it is, normally you keep 10 maximum. 

And MLB, yes I agree. I can't say I'm confident in any of their in-house options right now. 

30 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

If we have one more guy step up teams have to play a bit more balanced. 

I get the feeling the brain trust thinks Kincaid may be just that and he's a size mismatch for most DB's if he lines up in the slot.

• Agree 1

"Must address" is strong terminology.   I'm not sure they "must address" those positions.  And, with our cap situation, I'm also not sure they will.  I suspect, all of our 2023 starters are already on the team.  If we get a couple more quality backups: great.  

15 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

ILB

DT

RB

Offensive Line

Does the mafia agree? Thoughts?

Here’s the full article if you want to take a deep dive: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/4-roster-needs-bills-still-114503349.html

Go Bills!

Why do the Bills need another RB and OL?    

According to below,  2023 will likely be the year we set all sorts of offensive records

I'm most concerned about:

Right Tackle - Spencer Brown has the potential to improve. But if not, or he gets hurt, I have very little faith (zero?) in Quessenbery.

Linebacker - We all know there's a steep drop after Milano, so if he's hurt, there's little confidence in the rest of the corps. 

Defensive End - Not a lot of confidence Epenesa or Basham will get much better.

1 minute ago, SUNY_amherst said:

White is a shade of his former self. Hyde and Poyer healthy is good if they can stay that way but the front 7 is weak and that’s where games are won

We'll see on White.  Milano.  Von will play most of the season likely at a high level (see his full season after he tore his ACL 9 games in previous year)
Ford and DaQuan is a strong pair inside with decent depth in OIiver Phillips and Settle. Rousseau is good.  Shaq is a solid player. Another DE in rotation to upgrade from AJ and Basham would be ideal

10 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

We'll see on White.  Milano.  Von will play most of the season likely at a high level (see his full season after he tore his ACL 9 games in previous year)
Ford and DaQuan is a strong pair inside with decent depth in OIiver Phillips and Settle. Rousseau is good.  Shaq is a solid player. Another DE in rotation to upgrade from AJ and Basham would be ideal

I'm guessing that while Poona Ford can and will play some three tech, the Bills will mostly use him as a nose tackle/one technique.  That would mean he'll be in a rotation with DaQuan Jones.  Oliver will be in rotation at 3 tech and the Bills will have to figure out who the other three tech will be.  Settle is like Ford, a one tech guy who can play some three tech.  Phillips, despite his size, is pretty much limited to 3 tech.  I don't see the Bills carrying 5 DTs on the 53 man roster, so either Settle or Phillips is likely to get released or traded.

2 hours ago, SUNY_amherst said:

There is nobody to rush the passer. 

The defense will decline without Edmunds. Gonna have to win a lot of 35-31 type games and that's not sustainable

The pass rush is a legit concern.  Our pass rush was significantly better last year when Miller was healthy.  Hopefully he fully recovers and plays a full season.  In any case, our pass rush won't get worse than last season.  

We will feel Edmunds' loss but our D won't fall apart.  Especially if our key defenders can stay healthy.   Think of the advantage of having Von, Tre and our safeties healthy this year.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.