Four roster needs the Bills still must address

BillsFan619

21 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I think they will address this issue before the season starts. Would still like to see the Bills give Da'Quon Jones an extension.

I'm not worried about the salary cap. We avoided issues with it this year, we can do it again next year.

Although I would like to see the Bills make up considerable space in the cap, and then sign Josh Allen from the Jaguars.

The concern I have revolves around them having at least 4 players they can rotate.  Unless they get 2 guys that are every down players at DT, it's going to be a problem if half of them decide to walk.

Allen would be interesting for sure but if he puts up another 10 sack season it's not gonna happen.  Jags will resign him.

10 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

The concern I have revolves around them having at least 4 players they can rotate.  Unless they get 2 guys that are every down players at DT, it's going to be a problem if half of them decide to walk.

Allen would be interesting for sure but if he puts up another 10 sack season it's not gonna happen.  Jags will resign him.

Will they? We've seen them let players walk before.

They also have to think about paying Trevor Lawrence.

Rb's....we're fine nothing to see here.

ILB- it will depend on if Sean runs a base 4-3. 

DE- if Von doesn't come back at least 90% we're screwed. No faith in Groot w/o Von. 

OL- we made some nice IOL upgrades but slow footed Spencer still scares the crap out of me.

DT- if everyone stays healthy we should have a good rotational year. Next year we will have to reload here.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

ILB

DT

RB

Offensive Line

Does the mafia agree? Thoughts?

Here’s the full article if you want to take a deep dive: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/4-roster-needs-bills-still-114503349.html

Go Bills!

ILB - I didn’t want to see the Bills pay Edmunds $18M a year, but I thought the answer would be to snag a good vet for a lot less.

RB - Difficult to see this as a big need. 

DT - It would have been better to have found another DT in the draft or signed to a long term deal. Still, DT doesn’t look like a problem this season. 

OL - OT is an issue, but not so much the interior. Real competition for Brown was in order and we didn’t get that. Bringing in that competition would have improved our swing tackle as well. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I actually don't see any of those as "needs."  It would be nice to have upgrades at some of the positions, but if the season started today, I feel like they're pretty set.  It's not like we have JAGs at those positions.

DT, RB & the line in particular seem fine.  I get that it's a risk counting on Brown at RT - but we upgraded the guard positions, and Morse & Dawkins were always going to be our starters in '23.  I don't feel like Brown is some massive risk - he has flashed real potential and the general feeling seems to be that the offseason injury really set him back last year.

RB is 100% set.  We do not need another RB.

I would be surprised if Buffalo makes a major move at this point, and I don't think media pundits like Yahoo would regard anything less than a major move as fully addressing a need.  Buffalo is going to rely on the more modest moves they have made in those areas, and hope that they will be sufficient to address the needs.

To review, they added two offensive guards with starting experience and drafted arguably the best pure guard in the draft.  Beyond that, they are counting on improvement from Spencer Brown, who should benefit from a full offseason in good health.  They are also hoping for a contribution from Tommy Doyle who is coming back from injury. 

At running back, they signed two guys who can run with power, something they have lacked for several years.  I think they are also counting on continued development from James Cook as a runner who can provide elusiveness and home run speed. 

The Bills signed a legitimate quality nose tackle in Poona Ford to pair with Daquan Jones. 

Admittedly, they did very little at middle linebacker.   The guy they drafted, Dorian Williams, is set to be more of a weak side linebacker according to Brandon Bean, though that is certainly subject to change.  Otherwise, Buffalo is mainly counting on guys who have been with the team stepping up and proving they can start.  It will be necessary to tweak the scheme a bit, because none of the middle linebackers in house have the skill set to do what Tremaine Edmunds did.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Will they? We've seen them let players walk before.

They also have to think about paying Trevor Lawrence.

Paying Lawrence won't matter until his 5th year, assuming they do the same thing as they did with Josh. 

Give him a big extension that doesn't kick in for a year and a half down the road but give him a big signing bonus up front.

Jags are actually turning into a decent team now so I'm guessing they would want to retain that talent if it shows from Allen.

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

Paying Lawrence won't matter until his 5th year, assuming they do the same thing as they did with Josh. 

Give him a big extension that doesn't kick in for a year and a half down the road but give him a big signing bonus up front.

Jags are actually turning into a decent team now so I'm guessing they would want to retain that talent if it shows from Allen.

This is a team, particularly under Peterson, that scares me around playoff time.. 

Edge is the biggest need. I like Lawson but he is putrid as a pass rusher. Rousseau looked good opposite Miller until both got hurt. He didn’t play well after the injury. He needs a big year. I have no hopes for Basham and Epenesa. They are as bad as the Ford pick. Maybe one of these backup LBs can pass rush from time to time. Maybe they kick Oliver to end for a few snaps a game. 
Maybe Miller shows up and is ready to go and we all still question what the hell happened with White last year.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, The Wiz said:

The bigger problem with DT is going to be next year as we will be over the cap next year and all of them are going to be FAs.

This isn’t like you. No One knows what the Cap will be next year as the League is still compensating for the Covid years. 
With Poyer, Hyde, Morse, Von Roten, Saffold, Taiwan Jones, Latavious Murray, Klein, Von  & DaQuan Jones all eligible for their AARP cards after the season, their next destination is likely ‘the Home’.. Add to this, the youngins’ they’ve Drafted recently whom -while many here and crapped on-appear ready to make a big jump in their capabilities. Henry Jones, John Fina and Phil Hanson were scorned by ‘mafiaknowitalls’ early in their careers who developed into fine starters and contributed to continued team success, after replacing Leonard Smith, Wil Wolford & Dr. 1 Sack..

imo, our roster is solid and is in good hands with our GM, HC & Scouts. 

• Like (+1) 4

8 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

ILB

DT

RB

Offensive Line

Does the mafia agree? Thoughts?

Here’s the full article if you want to take a deep dive: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/4-roster-needs-bills-still-114503349.html

Go Bills!

I fail to see how RB is still a need position. They lost Singletary but:

Cook

Hines

added:

Harris

Murray

Plus they are still signing guys. How many does the author think they need?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Edge is the biggest need. I like Lawson but he is putrid as a pass rusher. Rousseau looked good opposite Miller until both got hurt. He didn’t play well after the injury. He needs a big year. I have no hopes for Basham and Epenesa. They are as bad as the Ford pick. Maybe one of these backup LBs can pass rush from time to time. Maybe they kick Oliver to end for a few snaps a game. 
Maybe Miller shows up and is ready to go and we all still question what the hell happened with White last year.

I would love to see them kick Oliver out to edge. He’s not a natural pass rusher but I think he could do some work vs OTs with effort alone.

Im not worried about Miller being ready to play, I’m worried about him being a dominant pass rusher again. ACLs are tough for older players.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

9 hours ago, ganesh said:

It is time for Basham and Epenesa to step up here.   Epenesa is entering his final season and if he has a great season, the BIlls have a chance to win the SB and for him to get a big contract somewhere.  

I doubt they "step up."  We know what they are. Inconsistent role players. 

11 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Question, if Von Miller can’t return or is a lesser player are we good with edge?

It's time of the other guys to step up & prove that they are worthy & i for one have always wanted them to just try Oliver on the edge in a couple different formations . 

He's undersized for a DT unless he had the motor of John Randle but he doesn't . Given his quick first step & his size is better suited for the edge i have always been interested to see him on the edge if it doesn't work fine put him back at DT but you don't know if you don't try .

Look at what happened to Jason Peters he turned into a HOF LT from a TE hell the Bills could have the next Bruce but if they don't even try to see they will never know . And what will trying him at that position hurt ? NOTHING ...

26 minutes ago, T master said:

It's time of the other guys to step up & prove that they are worthy & i for one have always wanted them to just try Oliver on the edge in a couple different formations . 

He's undersized for a DT unless he had the motor of John Randle but he doesn't . Given his quick first step & his size is better suited for the edge i have always been interested to see him on the edge if it doesn't work fine put him back at DT but you don't know if you don't try .

Look at what happened to Jason Peters he turned into a HOF LT from a TE hell the Bills could have the next Bruce but if they don't even try to see they will never know . And what will trying him at that position hurt ? NOTHING ...

I’m good with trying anything but this isn’t a team where you want to be depending on edge players trying to find their game. We’re a Super Bowl contender and we’ve already seen a lot of Oliver, Epenesa, and Basham. All that’s left for these players is hope.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.