Bills Sign Former First Rounder Shane Ray (now released with injury settlement)

aristocrat

12 hours ago, biggerdaddynj said:

Next Duke Williams!! 

There is only One A#1 Duke 

• Like (+1) 1

This is one of those "zero risk, decent reward" type moves. I'm sure he signed for peanuts, monetarily speaking.

If he somehow surprises and plays well, the Bills got a nice, veteran depth piece with Championship game experience. If, as expected, he doesn't make the cut, then nothing has been lost.

You bring 90 players to camp. They can't all be surefire Pro Bowlers.

• Agree 3

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

No, it’s not “dumb” to sign someone that helps your pass rush. 

I’ve kind of mentioned this before but what I want them to do is trade Ed Oliver and sign Yannick Ngakoue to a long-term contract. Multiple reasons. We load up at edge this season, have insurance for Von Miller or if Rousseau fails to take that next step. You can easily play Miller, Rousseau, and Ngakoue at the same time.

We would have a great 3 man rotation at edge. I would sign Matt Ioannidis DT a cheap deal as our 4th to rotate in.

So my plan is trade Oliver and sign DE Ngakoue and DT Matt Ioannidis. You can do this and save cap space this year believe it or not.

I honestly don't hate this.  

They clearly believe in Ed Oliver, at least for this contract year. 

If Oliver can play to his ceiling, consistently, they are probably making the right move in betting on him at the expense of bolstering EDGE... but I've yet to see any reason to think he will do that for a majority of the season... and, especially, when it really matters. 

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Logic said:

This is one of those "zero risk, decent reward" type moves. I'm sure he signed for peanuts, monetarily speaking.

If he somehow surprises and plays well, the Bills got a nice, veteran depth piece with Championship game experience. If, as expected, he doesn't make the cut, then nothing has been lost.

You bring 90 players to camp. They can't all be surefire Pro Bowlers.

Thanks for clarifying. I thought  he actually bartered his services for an unspecified amount of peanuts.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

13 minutes ago, BringBackFlutie said:

Thanks for clarifying. I thought  he actually bartered his services for an unspecified amount of peanuts.

As someone who would do just about anything for some good nuts, I figured you'd understand.

May mean something, may mean nothing, but last year Bills had 7 LBers in TC, only 4 that were not viewed as special teams only in Edmunds, Milano, Dodson, and Bernard. Mata, Andre Smith, and Spector.

This year they have 8, but Milano, Bernard, Klein, Williams and Dodson are all high on the LB depth chart. They still have Spector, Mata, and Howard who are all roster worthy players. 

I still feel we see more 3 LB sets, they have the players for it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

So...  low risk/low reward?

It's a lotto ticket.

You spend a buck, 1/1,000,000 shot you get a huge return.

1/100,000 shot you get a nice return. 

1/10,000 you get your money back.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Funny how it’s never the GM/team that drafts the guy with the wrong pick that gets labeled as a bust. Its is the GM who blew the pick, not the player. It’s on the GM. 

The funny thing is.........GM John Elway did get held accountable for his lack of success in a string of drafts.    AFTER he had built the Broncos first into an offensive juggernaut that carried the franchise to a SB.......and then did a complete 180 and turned them into a team that won a SB 2 years later with dominant defense.    If those feats were accomplished in Buffalo, that GM could probably be mediocre for a decade and not get held accountable.   It really surprised me how quickly Elway became a pariah in Denver.    Standards are very high in bigger markets.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The funny thing is.........GM John Elway did get held accountable for his lack of success in a string of drafts.    AFTER he had built the Broncos first into an offensive juggernaut that carried the franchise to a SB.......and then did a complete 180 and turned them into a team that won a SB 2 years later with dominant defense.    If those feats were accomplished in Buffalo, that GM could probably be mediocre for a decade and not get held accountable.   It really surprised me how quickly Elway became a pariah in Denver.    Standards are very high in bigger markets.

I get your example, but, 
Not “exactly” what I meant, no one, with any regularity says a GM was as much at or more at fault making the pick that turns out to be an obvious over pick/bust a couple of years later, it’s always lumped on the player, who has/had zero control over where he got picked, the same player taken in the third round is a often considered a “good value” it’s not on the player, It’s on the GM/team who made the errant pick. 

On 5/14/2023 at 6:06 AM, hondo in seattle said:

OBJ and DHop were prohibitively expensive.   Maybe Von came to Beane about Ray, and Beane thought - what the heck, we're not strong at DE, Ray is cheap, maybe he's worth a look.  In the end, Beane's doing what's best for the team but given Ray's recent history, he might not have been on Beane's radar.  Maybe Von put him there?

If Von put him on Beane’s radar then Beane needs to clean out his operation.  He has a pro scouting department whose job is to tell him about players who can help at positions of need that are on other teams or other pro leagues.  

Ray was an outstanding college player and was good for a couple of years in Denver.  Some bad coaching, nagging injuries, and some bad luck pushed his career into the ditch.  If he can reclaim any significant portion of his past ability, he could become a valuable rotational player at a very cheap price.  I think it is very wise of Beane to give this player a shot.  If it doesn't work out, there's no big loss but if it does, it could be a significant benefit to the team.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/14/2023 at 2:20 PM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

His edge moves this offseason are definitely Little Baller Beane moves. Lack of above average edge play will hurt us this year.

Because he did exactly what everyone wanted him to do:  Support Josh Allen:  started 20M OVER the cap. 

-IOL was a major issue last year.  It doesn’t look to be an issue atm.  Spent $ on McGovern- 2nd rd pick on Torrance, added edwards.

-we needed better playmakers and weapons over the middle of the field-  1st rd pick on Kincaid- signed Harty and Sherfield- upgrades over Mckenzie and Kumerow (if you don’t believe they’re upgrades, you’ll soon see)

-needed better goal line RBs- added harris and Murray.  

all those additions and we were able to keep the entire DL intact while adding Poona.  So 20M over the cap and we added significantly on O while suffering one loss on D in edmunds.  A non premium position.  

sure, it would be nice to add another pass rusher.  I think we will as long as one will agree to a minimum/incentive based contract.  I don’t think we’ll sign anyone for

more than 3.5M+.  We look to be done kicking money down the road for this offseason. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

5 winning seasons in a dozen years.  They've been insignificant for the past 7.  has made a joke of the QB position. For 10 of his 12 seasons, Von Miller was the best player on the roster.  Since Kubiak walked away, he has employed 4 straight up bums. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.