Za’Darius Smith traded to the Browns

Kirby Jackson

Cleveland is the wild card for how tough that division will be.  

If Watson can return to Houston form, that division becomes as tough as ours with the Steelers playing the Pats role as a tough, likely, last place team.  

• Agree 3

5 hours ago, CSBill said:

But they're still the Browns, and they still play in Cleveland, and they still have that clown of an owner.

You talk a lot of crap about a city,  when Buffalo has been just as bad over the years. They're on a good 3 year run,  but haven't won anything more than Cleveland at this point.  Congrats?

5 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

The Vikings are not in cap trouble, but Smith has been unhappy in Minnesota and asked to be released so a parting of the ways seemed necessary. The Browns capitalized on that. He’s 30 (31 this year) and is still playing at an elite level (10 sacks, 15 TFL, Pro Bowl). 

They didn’t have the cap space for rookies before the Smith trade. As for elite…. Yes, when healthy. He had 8.5 sacks in the first part of the season. Then he got injured and only had 1.5 sacks in the last 8 games. He’s also had a lower body ailment (usually plays hurt) every season since 2019. Factor in a one year rental and a decent chunk of change… lower compensation.

That said, I certainly wouldn’t mind having him here while Miller recovers. A fast start followed by moving to a rotation or the old Lorax role would have been an awesome addition. 

15 hours ago, cle23 said:

Again, not great.  I said he was average. But he wasn't "awful", especially given the circumstances.  They played a game in 40 mph winds, and then another with -21 wind chill in the course of 6 games. Everyone plays in bad weather occasionally, but not 1/3 of your games. 

All that with very limited preseason and then no practice/meetings/etc for over half the season. 

There's a chance he doesn't improve going into this year,  but I think it's a tiny percentage. 

Aren't the numbers cited, on a per game average, bottom-of-the-league QB production in 2023? Like 2023 NY Jets QB caliber? 7 TDs and 5 INTs in 6 games at a 58% comp pct and 79 rating...those are BAD NFL QB numbers. 

Sure you can contextualize and try to rationalize the challenges he faced. But don't try to pass off those dogs#!t numbers as something they're not.

My hot take?  Watson is done.  The dude has no confidence any more and the scandal will continue to follow him incessantly.  Lest we forget, this wasn’t one or two women — it numbered in the TWENTIES (that we know of).  He’s a serial abuser.  Don’t underestimate the psychological toll all of this has taken on him — the legacy he started in Houston (as a player) is irreparably tarnished.

Cleveland deserves every bad thing that happens to them while that crook Haslam is the owner.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, eball said:

My hot take?  Watson is done.  The dude has no confidence any more and the scandal will continue to follow him incessantly.  Lest we forget, this wasn’t one or two women — it numbered in the TWENTIES (that we know of).  He’s a serial abuser.  Don’t underestimate the psychological toll all of this has taken on him — the legacy he started in Houston (as a player) is irreparably tarnished.

Cleveland deserves every bad thing that happens to them while that crook Haslam is the owner.

I think you are wrong, but I’m hoping you are right, that team has the talent to be the class of the AFC if he returns to form.

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Not even close.

😂 , I suppose you think the Bills are better.  If you put the same QB out there with either team the Browns would win more.  JA is the only reason the Bills are relevant, Cleveland has a more talented roster than Buffalo.

7 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

😂 , I suppose you think the Bills are better.  If you put the same QB out there with either team the Browns would win more.  JA is the only reason the Bills are relevant, Cleveland has a more talented roster than Buffalo.

It’s not all Josh allen.  mostly. 

Then why is the browns defense crap every year while the Bills.  More talent…. Yet their results on D suck.  Meanwhile the bills have a top 1-5 d routinely, the Browns are usually  in the bottom 1/3 of the league. 

I think the Bills have had more talent on D as well as better coaching.  The browns have had a beast OL and decent weapons….  I’d take the Bills WR unit and TE unit over Clevelands.  I’d take the browns RB.  

Imo, the browns only advantages are the OL, RB and having Myles Garrett.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.