Players That Should Be HOF Inductee's But Are Not .

T master

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Ted Washington

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Washington

You suck Greg Williams

Remember when madden I think was calling a game and said skinny Ted was listed at 305 de for bills was listed on program at 265. He kept saying Ted had not weighted 305 since high school his left leg weight more. He went on for like 10 minutes 😳

8 hours ago, mannc said:

Priest Holmes.  I didn't dig deep into the stats, but for at least three seasons, in which he had more than 2000 yards combined rushing and receiving, he was clearly the best running back in football.  To me, that makes him a Hall of Famer.

He had 51 total TDs and 4400 total yards in a 2 year span.  That is absolutely mind blowing.

• Like (+1) 3

60's Bills, along with Sestak, Saimes and Stratton, I would suggest Ron McDole (great career with Bills-- 5-time All-AFL, and Washington). And as in the case with Byrd-- why isn't he on the Wall of Fame?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

WR Hines Ward of the Pittsburgh Steelers, Not only one of the best WR from that era but was doing it with guys like Kordell Stewart, Mike Tomzack and Tommy Maddox from 1998 until Big Ben came around in 2004. He was also the best blocking WR I've ever seen and probably ever will.

DE L.C. Greenwood- Part of the Steel Curtain defense, 78 sacks, had 4 sacks on Roger Staubach in the SB that was a huge part of why they won. It's crazy to me that he isn't in the HOF already.

OL Joe Jacoby- huge part of that hogs OL, top notch OL, should have been in long ago and can't think of why he's not?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Dislike 1

12 hours ago, mannc said:

Priest Holmes.  I didn't dig deep into the stats, but for at least three seasons, in which he had more than 2000 yards combined rushing and receiving, he was clearly the best running back in football.  To me, that makes him a Hall of Famer.

He was so damn fun to watch. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, ComradeKayAdams said:

Great post! I’m an amateur internet Bills historian (over at BillsFans.com), so this is a fun topic for me.

Regarding Cookie Gilchrist: absolutely! He was the AFL’s most Hall-worthy HB/FB running back, one of that league’s first superstars, and also a 1960’s civil rights icon for the entire sports world. The CFL was considered on par with the NFL and AFL way back then, so Cookie’s 6 years of dominance there should factor in any consideration for the PRO FOOTBALL Hall of Fame.

Unfortunately, Cookie is a victim of the Hall’s heavy bias against the AFL. I’ll name 3 other AFL Bills who deserve to be in the Hall of Fame:

1. Tom Sestak, DT: arguably the greatest defensive lineman in AFL history. He was the best player on a legendary 1960’s defense.

2. Mike Stratton, OLB: a rangy do-it-all LB (stopping the run, covering, rushing the QB) and the prototype for the modern era LB. He delivered perhaps the greatest and most impactful single tackle in pro football history (1964 AFL championship game against Keith Lincoln).

3. George Saimes, S: among the very best open-field tacklers in pro football history. Booker Edgerson couldn’t have been the shutdown CB that he was and Butch Byrd couldn’t have been the playmaking CB that he was without Saimes roaming the secondary.

Regarding Tasker: yes, definitely! This isn’t even up for debate with anyone who properly respects special teams…i.e. anyone who knows anything about football.

Regarding Tommy Hughitt: love the reference! But…he won’t ever make it in and probably doesn’t deserve to be in, either. That inaugural 1920 season has a large asterisk next to it because the All-Americans played half of their 10 games against second-rate opponents outside of the league. So the franchise really only had 1.5 excellent seasons. Also, Hughitt wasn’t obviously the best player on those early teams. They were called the “All-Americans” because they were stacked with elite college talent. I would put teammate, Swede Youngstrom, in the Pro Football Hall of Fame before Hughitt.

Having said all that, Hughitt was the undisputed leader of that franchise and someone whom I consider the “Godfather of Buffalo pro football.” I would recommend a spot for him in the Buffalo Bills Wall of Fame and possibly also an official retirement of his jersey number, 1. Ralph Wilson doesn’t place the Bills in Buffalo had it not been for the attendance success of the 1946-1949 AAFC Buffalo Bills, and the AAFC Bills don’t exist in Buffalo without Tommy Hughitt’s successful efforts in the first half of the 1920’s.

This is an awesome comment by someone who knows their Buffalo football history.  Thanks for posting! 

I get what you're saying about Hughitt not being the star.  Somewhere I read Ockie Anderson - who rotated with Hughitt at QB and RB - was the better runner.  But Hughitt was no slouch as a player.  As I understand it, he was always on the field making meaningful contributions at one position or another.  In 1920, Hughitt scored 52 points (8 TDs, 4 conversions) of Buffalo's league-leading 258 points.  Hughitt, by himself, outscored our opponents who managed only 32 points against us that season.  In 1922, George Halas & the Canton Daily News named Hughitt the starting QB of the NFL All-Pro team.  

The All-Americans had the best record over the first two years of the league and scored - by far - the most points.  They also had the biggest point differential.  When you consider his accomplishments both as a player and coach, Hughitt is worthy of the HOF, though I know his induction will never happen.  In 1969, when Canton named its 1920s all-decade team, they didn't include Hughitt or any Buffalo players, despite our early dominance.  

Btw, it seems very Billsy that the Buffalo squad tied for the league lead in the first two seasons of the NFL but still didn't win a championship.

P.S.  As a football historian, you're probably aware of the good article on Hughitt posted by the Pro Football Researchers Association:

www.profootballresearchers.org/biography/Hughitt_Tommy.pdf

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/11/2023 at 11:13 PM, BoccesOnTransit said:

Kent Hull

No legit cred. We all loved him and he was the catalyst of the K-Gun. But he only made 1 Pro Bowl, fair or not. That doesn’t even get you cred in the Hall of Very Good.

Like Kelly, he was a USFL orphan who joined the Bills the same day Jimbo did and they both retired on the same day.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

On 5/12/2023 at 5:08 AM, BillsPride12 said:

He was great, I really think he got overshadowed by there already being so many Superstars on those Bills teams

Hey that might be a thought for the NFL to discuss adding entire teams not individuals to the HOF . Teams that dominated & were exceptional like our Bills were & like the Steelers, 49ers, Cowboys, & others that players other wise will never make it into the HOF .

Or maybe even offensive & defensive unit's that were legendary like the Purple people eaters, or the Bills Bermuda Triangle, I know it's pretty far fetched & will never happen but hey its something to create conversation .

Have a separate section for something like that just a thought ... 🤔😜🙄😎

Oh and those teams from the AFL years our Bills being one should be added into the HOF too they were champions just pre merger .

Edited by T master

Disclaimer: I am unapologetically line-obsessed.

Clay Matthews, L.C. Greenwood, Joe Jacoby, Ron McDole, and Steve Tasker are near the top of my list.  I am sure that there are numerous linemen who were better than some of the players who are in on big offencive numbers.  IMHO, the media part of the HoF selectors wouldn't know good line play if it ran them over.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.